Over-fueling engine 1.9 TDI PD 130

ejoskf

TDI
1.9 tdi passat 2004
Hey

I am new to TDI world, I've got 2004 Passat my engine seems to be running rich. It's winter but fuel economy is poor, can smell unburned fuel after engine warmed up, on acceleration there is a smoke behind me. Also on start up there is puff of blue-ish smoke but doesn't look like and oil. I've cleaned EGR, inlet manifold and done full service as well as new fuel filter and thermostat with coolant change. Fuel efficient is 40mpg mixed driving best 50 motorway (imperial units) any ideas?
Thank you

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

BlueMk4Golf

TDI
1.9TDI
May be the pump is serving more fuel than it should. Im not to sure about what could be your problem. Hit up your local mechanic and see if he has any solutions:)

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
When you changed the oil was it the correct amount that came out and also did you smell the oil to see if it had a diesel smell ? The injector readings look fine.
The only thing that springs to my mind is that the injector seals may be leaking,

probably not all of them because that usually raises the oil level pretty quickly.
Blue smoke is oil burning, maybe worn valve stem oil seals, or worn turbo.
how many miles does the engine have on it ?

ejoskf

TDI
1.9 tdi passat 2004
Thanks. I've just hit 85k I know very low for 15y old car. Turbo I think seals are failing. I've had it apart when doing tensioner and than again 2 weeks later and about 1-2 table spoons of oil came out. Could that cause that puff of smoke on startup?

Thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk