Out of Extended Warranty. Advice Please.

ByKeithBrown

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi.

I have a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen. After getting a dreaded check engine light, I found I needed an EGR valve and a DPF filter. I had the EGR replaced by a local mechanic, because at the time I was ignorant of the extended warranty on the car I've only had for just shy of four years. I subsequently learned, after a terrible experience with that clearly unscrupulous mechanic, that my car still had a couple thousand miles left on the extended warranty and that EGR would have been free. My mistake. Costly, but mine. I get that now.

But I still got the check engine light. I learned about the warranty, checked my VIN on the VW Dieselgate website and sure enough, I had just more than 2k left on the extended. I took it to a dealer near me, who replaced the DPF and a couple other minor things with the exhaust and viola! no more check engine light. Also, Klaus, my car, has more balls than he's ever had. Car runs great. The bill, however, for the work was $3,700. I didn't have to pay, thankfully, but holy cats that's a tough bill had I not caught it in time.

The dealer also said that I should look to get rid of the car when my warranty runs out, which is just 2,000 miles from now because, he said, there are going to be more problems with the exhaust, based on his experience with these cars. Given the exorbitant prices of used cars these days, I'm unable to buy anything anywhere close to comparable and I'm in no position to absorb a car payment. Plus, damn this car is nice. Especially now.

Does anyone keep these cars after the extended warranty runs out? I mean, how long before this DPF craps out again? Or something else expensive goes wrong? My plan was to drive this beast until it left me on the side of a road somewhere. But that dealer's words are ringing in my head. Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks in advance,

Keith.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of people have these cars after the warranty. Most of my customers blew past that warranty a long time ago.

Yes, they have some fragile bits on them, which is why deletes are so popular. Also, probably why so many of us prefer to drive the old ones that don't have any of those issues.

Dealer is probably not the best place for advice, to be honest. They hate these cars like poison.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Longer drives and monitoring can help. There are apps that let you do this. VAGDPF is one. Let the regen happen when needed, even if it takes a ten minute drive.

ByKeithBrown

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Lots of people have these cars after the warranty. Most of my customers blew past that warranty a long time ago.

Yes, they have some fragile bits on them, which is why deletes are so popular. Also, probably why so many of us prefer to drive the old ones that don't have any of those issues.

Dealer is probably not the best place for advice, to be honest. They hate these cars like poison.
Thanks, man. I appreciate it. But why would dealers hate these cars? You’d think they’d love the money in repairs.

ByKeithBrown

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Longer drives and monitoring can help. There are apps that let you do this. VAGDPF is one. Let the regen happen when needed, even if it takes a ten minute drive.

thanks! This looks awesome. I don’t have an android, though. Do youknow of something similar for iPhone?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There are posts about this but I don't keep up on iPhone stuff. This will show you that info and more, but it is more costly and not just a simple device for viewing for the most part. Very good to have though. Buy a used old Android phone and use that exclusively for this. Should be able to do that pretty cheaply.

I have no connection to them but like the app and it works excellent for me.

ByKeithBrown

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
There are posts about this but I don't keep up on iPhone stuff. This will show you that info and more, but it is more costly and not just a simple device for viewing for the most part. Very good to have though. Buy a used old Android phone and use that exclusively for this. Should be able to do that pretty cheaply.

I have no connection to them but like the app and it works excellent for me.
Hey there. What dongle do you use to connect this app to? I have a Carista, which I think I’m returning, that will pair with this app but says it can’t read CAN data.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG