Our new (to us) diesel...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Bought this beast last weekend:

Will be making use of it around the 187 acre farm. Needed to backfill a large area near our new building. It was going to cost as much to hire someone to do it as it was to buy this truck. We already have two tractors with loaders, and plenty of gravel/rock to use.

It is an old highway department truck, 1992 International 4900... the short 140" wheelbase. Has the DT466 engine, 6+1 manual gearbox, air brakes, front and rear hydraulics along with the dump bed. Runs really well, but I think it needs a thermostat... it never even attempted to warm up, and it wasn't that cold here last weekend.

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Very nice! It is a far cry from a Golf, but looks to be a fun toy.

How many miles?

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, it's no Golf, LOL.

76k miles, about 4600 hours. We paid $7400 for it, which after looking around a bit online and at a couple similar trucks locally seemed to be a fair price. You can tell it has been used, but doesn't seem abused. It has a new clutch, one new air brake actuator, 2 new Michelins on the steer axle and 4 decent Bridgestones on the rear.

Anything similar for less money always needed something, and anything on these is major money, compared to an automobile.

I only got to drive it about 15 miles on 2-lane blacktop to the farm. Got it up to 60, and it actually drove reasonably well considering what it is. The air ride seat is nice! :)

We will only be using it on the farm as a workhorse. It will not be getting licensed, and it probably won't see pavement ever again until we sell it, if we decide to sell it.

We already had a heaping pile of rocks in the back, it moved it around like it was nothing. That engine must make some serious torque at idle speed, it just doesn't care how much weight you have to move... and the extra low gear, it has an "L" spot below 1, makes it even easier to creep along.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
You need to lower that thing on some coilovers and give it a stance...

Oh wait, wrong forum.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yep-those DT-466s are great engines in my opinion-had them in trucks I worked at on farms over the years-pretty reliable from my experiences.With that small box,you'll never have any problems w/not being able to haul anything;)....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Is that a synchronized or unsynchronized gearbox?

oilhammer

TDI
Used it all day yesterday hauling rock... never missed a beat. Don't even need to use Low gear, this thing is awesome! :D

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
I have one just like it. Very handy when I built my new shop,turns on a dime.Never failed to start all last winter. I did put a turn down on the exhaust and eliminated the tall stack and torched everthing welded to the frame to lighten it up about 600 pounds.
It needed rubber when I got it last year but only gave $5000 for it. Paid for itself already. Locals charge $100 to bring 15 ton 6 miles on their schedule. Now I go get 7.5 ton for about $6 whenever I want to.

oilhammer

TDI
What RPM does yours turn at 60 MPH ?
I only had it that fast for a minute or so, and I think it was around 2500, but I admit I was a little scared to look. The VERY narrow road (hwy 28, then hwy M) kept me watching the mirrors and road pretty close.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
I only had it that fast for a minute or so, and I think it was around 2500, but I admit I was a little scared to look. The VERY narrow road (hwy 28, then hwy M) kept me watching the mirrors and road pretty close.

That's about the same as mine. I can't imagine why MoDOT would order them with such a low geared axle ratio with the torque the 466 has.

oilhammer

TDI
That's about the same as mine. I can't imagine why MoDOT would order them with such a low geared axle ratio with the torque the 466 has.

Well for what we need it for, it is perfect. I wouldn't want it geared any higher. It isn't really a good highway cruiser anyways, given the super short wheelbase coupled with the heavy duty springs.

It was probably very well suited for plowing. Just wish they'd left the actual plow on for us.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Sell that truck when you're done with it and you'll have money for the Eurotrip with ample left-over. :)