Our New Smart Shield For MK4 Golf, Jetta & Beetle

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
What's crazy is it can still handle this abuse right down to -90C.:eek:

We have done a lot more testing and filmed it all. I can't wait to post the next video.:cool:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
This seems to be my best bet... I can not fit a 'traditional' skid plate due to my intercooler tubing interfering with the new side mounts they come with. I have stock side covers that have been modified but the OE plastic belly pan still fits.

Perhaps this along with the mini skid plate that bolts to the pan from another vendor?

UPDATE - order placed....

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Hit something with mine. Did not even know it until I removed it for an engine work session. Saw a minor scratch or two but I was so blown away by how flexible and tough this unit is! Runs circles around anything else I have used! Thanks for a great product Neil!

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Nice product! What happened to the one that was driven over with the Duramax and the big rig?

Interested in selling that one? :p

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
It still has a job to do.:)

Were taking some more video of this Smart Shield so it won't be for sale.

At $190 it is a really good price though.:D

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I installed mine last weekend (04 Jetta). Very nice! It took me just a little more time than it should have but that's because I have an aftermarket side cover and my old shield was so beat I had moved the mounting locations. Installed the included clips where they were missing (had to drill some holes in the ECS side cover) and it's mounted solid! I gained about an inch of clearance because the old one was sagging.

FYI - the front mount is a little different than my old one. I have an 03 and 04 side by side and there are extra mounting tabs at the front of the 04. There is a 'filler' piece between the bumper cover and the skid plate. Your plate did not have these mounting locations so I'll drill some holes (still have bumper off working on headlights).

Hopefully I don't get the chance to test it, but I can tell it's much stronger than the OEM piece. This was my only option with the FMIC plumbing.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Quick picture of mine installed - stock one was droopy and hung lower. This one fit perfectly other than the missing screw holes I mentioned in the previous post (easily remedied). This shows the additional transition piece my 04 has that bridges between the lower bumper and the underbelly pan:
Screws in the top of pic are in the lower bumper. 4 screws attach the transition piece to the lower shield (2 use existing holes in the side, 2 others screw in the middle, missing holes).

04 bumper cover and transition piece:

If these 2 additional mounting points were added, it'd be a direct fit on the 04+ cars.

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Awesome pics and feedback.

I will look into getting these holes added to the next run we do.

:):):)

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I run a Panzer plate over the factory belly pan for splash and impact resistance. Had one of these been avalible for my MKV Jetta i woulda hands down got the Smart Sheild. Looks clean.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
I swapped out the provided screws and used OEM T25 Torx (N-907-750-01) along with OEM Speed nuts (N-015-458-1). The T25 has a wider head and provides better coverage.

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Going with the T25 Torx is just fine. In fact they work with the Speed Clips that came in the kit as well.

They are the same thread and pitch. :)

Cheers.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Nice product! What happened to the one that was driven over with the Duramax and the big rig?

Interested in selling that one? :p
It still has a job to do.:)

Were taking some more video of this Smart Shield so it won't be for sale.

At $190 it is a really good price though.:D

Well I bought one after being tired of having little pebbles in my engine bay, shredding my accessory belt.

I was afraid this thing would not be strong enough to withstand road debris or rock impact...

but I can honestly say it is thick and sturdy enough to protect the oil pan from a puncture. Can't wait to get it on the car.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Are these still available? Can't seem to find them on your website.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Thought I'd try asking here first, but since they haven't responded I just sent them an email. Will post back here what I find out.