Our New Smart Shield For MK4 Golf, Jetta & Beetle

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
INTRODUCING OUR LATEST PRODUCT, THE SMART SHIELD FOR YOUR JETTA, GOLF AND NEW BEETLE MK4

http://www.evolutionimport.com/smart-shield-for-jetta-jetta-wagon-golf-and-new-beetle/

Fits:

98-2010 New Beetle All Engines
99.5-2006 Golf All Engines
99.5-2005
Jetta All Engines
99.5-2006 Jetta Wagon All Engines
2004 Golf R32
All 2.0 City Golf & Jettas (Canada)

PRODUCT DETAILS OF THE SMART SHIELD

This Smart Shield was 1.5 years in the making. Hundreds of hours were put into designing, fitment, testing and production. The end result is a superior shield that's extremely tough, durable and functional. The material used to make this shield is space age having a Tensile Yield of 3600 PSI. It has a wear through ratting more than 10 times that of steel in the same thickness. What this means is if you were to drag and object across it, it will take over 10 times longer to wear through then steel. The Smart Shields normal operating temperature is -90.5C to +125.5C so whether your using it in Anchorage Alaska or Death Valley California this shield will not fail. Our Smart Shield was tested through this past winter and never cracked or failed like the OEM cheap plastic sound dampener covers from VW. Here is some additional information on the Smart Shield:

• Made out of Space Age Resin.
  • 4.8mm Thick ( 3/16" )
  • Ribs added for superior strength every 2.75 inches.
  • Weighs 5.1 Lbs (5.5 Lbs including hardware).
  • Oil drain and filter change access holes for all engines.
  • 5 minute initial install and 1 minute to remove or replace next time.
  • Extremely high wear resistance.
  • Corrosion resistant fasteners
  • Drain holes for fluid accumulation.
CHECK OUT OUR NEW DEMO VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cErpe0aynK0

Shipping Information: This product is considered oversize by Fedex and has a $9.50 Additional Handling Fee per shipment. If you would like to know how much shipping will cost simply add the items you would like to purchase to your cart. Then click "View or edit your cart ". Then click "ESTIMATE SHIPPING & TAX". Enter your Country, State/Province, Zip/Postal Code and then click the button labeled "ESTIMATE SHIPPING & TAX" and it will give you the shipping cost. This is the quickest way to quote you on shipping costs. Please use this method before emailing us as it can take up to two days for us to respond to the email.

Last edited:

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
How does this smart shield stack up to the steel skid plate when it comes to taking a hit? Say your shield came into contact with a log in the road. Would this smart shield be able to take an impact that rigorous?

I would much rather have something the weight of the smart shield versus the weight of a huge piece of metal. Count me interested, but I'm also interested to hear back about the question above.

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the question panthers89fan90. :)

May I ask which steel skid plate you are referring to?

Cheers.

How does this smart shield stack up to the steel skid plate when it comes to taking a hit? Say your shield came into contact with a log in the road. Would this smart shield be able to take an impact that rigorous?

I would much rather have something the weight of the smart shield versus the weight of a huge piece of metal. Count me interested, but I'm also interested to hear back about the question above.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Or how does it stack up for protection next to your own aluminum skid plates?

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

Thanks for the question panthers89fan90. :)

May I ask which steel skid plate you are referring to?

Cheers.
Not necessarily a "steel" skid plate, but any metal skid plate for that matter. Say your own aluminum evo skid plate? Or the steel defender skid plate.

How does this material hold up when compared against metal?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I don't think they are marketing it as a "skid plate". It is more of a deluxe version of the factory cover. I like it does it have any sound deadening?

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Ah, no problem. :cool:

The material used for the Smart Shield is so different compared to aluminum or steel that is is hard to do a direct comparison as they all have positive and negative attributes. A perfect example is weight. There is a 12 Lb difference to the aluminum plate, or 16 Lbs with all hardware. And at least 25+ Lbs difference to the steel ones out there.

Here is a little comparison I made up that is a little general for aluminum/steel:

We are also working on a padding material that will go on the Smart Shield right under the oil pan so if you do hit something taller, there is basically a pillow hitting the oil pan.

You also can't put the Smart Shield into the same class as the original plastic splash shield. The material is way thicker and is hundreds of times stronger and durable. In fact I will be coming out with a video in the near future proving the strength and energy absorbing features of the Smart Shield.

So don't get me wrong, if you want the best strength you should get our aluminum skid plate but we developed this product so it was lower cost for the consumer, easy quick install and resilient.

I hope this answers your questions. :)

Not necessarily a "steel" skid plate, but any metal skid plate for that matter. Say your own aluminum evo skid plate? Or the steel defender skid plate.
How does this material hold up when compared against metal?

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Thank you.

No sound deadening was needed. Because of the thicker material there was no difference in sound coming from the engine compared to the OEM splash shield.:D

Cheers.

I don't think they are marketing it as a "skid plate". It is more of a deluxe version of the factory cover. I like it does it have any sound deadening?

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Darn it, the vendors on here are really good at making me spend money. :)

I've been looking at different types of shields for my underbody for awhile now. I was backing away from metal shields because of the price of some of them plus the weight and inconvenience of changing them out.

I'm interested and think I will go ahead and bite the bullet and buy one now.

Edit: Just bought. I'll report back after I get it.

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Neil,
How well does it interface with OEM side shields on the MkIV platform? Follows the contours, leaves no gaps in the corners, etc. ?
As a proud owner of two of your Aluminum shields I can say they have proven themselves over time. Offering a light weight material version makes sense if it can pass all the tests of time!

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Hello kiwibru. :cool:

Thanks for the thumbs up on our Aluminum Skid Plates.

The Smart Shield was designed to fasten on exactly like the OEM splash pan does. It leaves no holes or gaps and follows the same contour as the Side Shields. As long as the Side Shields are in good condition, the Smart Shield will fasten on perfect.:)

Cheers.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
So, this sounds to me like a more robust solution that is an easy replacement for the OEM shield, but not nearly as bombproof as the aluminum skid plates bolted on to the frame. For the price, I think I'm sticking with aluminum. Looks like a great concept, and I wonder if a bolt on solution could be made that would be a little more sturdy then the OEM attachment.

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Our ultimate goals were to come out with a product that was lighter weight, more affordable and an easy install.

If our Aluminum skid plate was Nuclear bomb proof I would consider the Smart Shield to be Atomic bomb proof.:cool: (Sorry, best analogy I could think of.)

Thanks for the orders so far everyone.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Our ultimate goals were to come out with a product that was lighter weight, more affordable and an easy install.

If our Aluminum skid plate was Nuclear bomb proof I would consider the Smart Shield to be Atomic bomb proof.:cool: (Sorry, best analogy I could think of.)

Thanks for the orders so far everyone.
Sounds like a great product!

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
I received my smart shield today. As of 30 minutes ago, it is on. It fits just like the stock belly pan except for the extra speed screws for the oil drain doors.

It feels really solid! I held the shield on one side and the other side had no flex. There is no comparison between the stiffness of the belly pan and this smart shield. It gives me piece of mind now that it is on.

Unfortunately, a side effect of the stiffness was more difficulty when installing the shield versus the stock belly pan.

Overall, I'm glad I ordered this shield. It feels good when you hold it and it looks good on the car. It's a nice balance between the stock belly pan and a steel skid plate.

Belly pan before pics

Yes, that is a new oil leak. :(

Smart shield time!

On the car

As you can see, it fits exactly like the stock belly pan. No drooping!

Last edited:

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Very nice. It looks really good on the car.:)

When I was doing some test-fitting of the Smart Shield I found that it was more difficult to install if the side shields were old and damaged. Brand new OEM side shields were perfect, everything lined up and it was an easy install.

There are cheap Chinese knock off side shields that some companies carry. I have seen and dealt with them first hand and they are not very good quality. The upper and lower holes don't line up making it so you have to modify them.:confused: And the material they use droops where it shouldn't.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I have a PD130 with 02M Transmission in a Wagon mk4 1.8T converted to TDI. Are all the mouting screws going to fit with that shield? I assume the 1.8T had a shield too, were they identical to TDIs?

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Hey there.

As long as your car has the OEM left and right Splash Shields the Smart Shield should screw on perfect. As fro the engine and transmission, as long as they don't hang down lower then a regular TDI, you will be in good shape to install the Shield. :D