Our beetle got 53.45 miles to the gallon

Dewain

TDI
2005 tdi beetle
We had the oil changed about a week ago it still was black on the dip stick the next day, I'm going to change the oil this weekend what would be a good oil to use:rolleyes:

Ike T

TDI
2003 Jetta
Fresh oil in a TDI will turn black very quickly, more or less immediately upon the next engine use. It's nothing to worry about.

Confirm that the fresh oil meets the standard in your owners' manual. If it doesn't, then change it to an oil that does meet the standard.

Good luck.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Funny how that gets people tripped up. Feel free to change it every 10 miles if you like, it'll still be black. :)

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
I trying to figure out what the MPG has to do with the OCI or the color of the oil. :confused:

Dewain

TDI
2005 tdi beetle
I dont think it will be every 10 miles but my ford F250 diesel has over 700 miles on the oil I changed and its not black but it does take 15 quarts. Our 1st VW diesel if this is normal fine.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I was surprised when I bought my first F350 about the amount of oil it took and how often. Now that is an expensive oil change. Maybe it just takes longer for "4 gallons" of oil to soot up.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Black oil in a diesel isn't a concern. Typical and normal. If your oil didn't turn black, then you might want to be concerned.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
It is my understanding that some of the "soot" is actually shunted into the oil. Someone, please clarify and/or correct. This would explain why it turns black so quickly, for sure.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It is called blow by. It is the soot in the combustion gasses that gets blown by the piston rings and ends up in the oil.

Also, when you change the oil, you can't get every drop of the old, sooted oil out, so the engine gets a head start on turning your new fresh clean oil sooty as soon as you turn the key and start it up after the oil change.

Dewain

TDI
2005 tdi beetle
To whom it might concern thanks for the info on the oil positive or negative, since I'm retired as of Sept 1st I'm going to change it. This will give me a starting point for the future I'm very impressed with the mileage we get.