OT: Looking to move, maybe to NC. Seeking input.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
So the wife and I are getting out of Maine in a few years and have short-listed our options to either the Florida Keys, North Carolina, or Utah.

We just got back from a few weeks in the Keys and while nice, it's different from what I'm accustomed, to the point I think the differences would be too stark. It's also insanely expensive, hot, and employment opportunities limited.

So that brings us to what's next on the list, NC. We are looking in the Asheville area, mainly because it's near the mountains and I enjoy hiking and biking. I know they have seasons (something the Keys lack) but nowhere near the -20°F for weeks on end we have in Maine, nor the 7 straight months of snow followed by a month of black flies and mud, two insane months of mosquitoes, and finally two months of semi-nice weather before it turns cold again.

My wife is established in the medical field as a primary care family physician and I am highly licensed in the environmental field with a focus in water remediation and purification. I know she will have a much easier time at finding employment than I will due to my narrow focus. We don't have extravagant tastes or wants and are down-to-earth people without a ton of money, although we do well by Maine standards. We both work hard and play hard and are active outdoors, but I dislike crowds and urban areas. I like to shoot, hunt, and fish but am not nuts about it. I am nuts about road/mountain biking and hiking during all seasons, having finished the NH4000 footer list for winter and any season. I'm working on the New England Hundred Highest list now.

My questions are these:

1. How is the climate in the various regions? Anything we should know about one particular region over another?
  2. Any particularly expensive places for housing to avoid?
  3. How are the taxes? Do they vary by region or are they consistent for the whole state?
  4. Motor vehicle inspections or emissions?
  5. Troublesome places to avoid?
  6. Is there any time during the year that is a particularly nice time to visit, or one that most accurately represents what NC has to offer?
We're looking to visit next year on our vacation with an emphasis on sampling the flavor of what NC has to offer. Any suggestions? We'll be renting a house if possible for a week or two to see if NC is potentially right for us. We're doing our 'homework' so to speak and this is the beginning step.

I thought I'd put this out there on the board because I consider some on here friends and am hoping for some personal knowledge and direction that we'd otherwise take much longer to figure out on our own.

Thanks in advance.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Asheville area is gorgeous! Asheville itself is in the mountains but you don't have to drive far to get to what are known as the Foothills (basically the base of the mountain areas).

1) The mountains obviously get more snowy weather than the rest of the state. But it really varies year to year as to how much it snows. First snow is usually in October sometime from what I can recall. Usually doesn't snow past March I don't think. February is usually when we get the most snow all over NC. Being closer to the mountains during the winter is actually good...you're more likely to get snow over anything else. Winston-Salem/Greensboro/Raleigh area we tend to get more ice, which is not fun. Depending on how rural the area is where you settle (which there are a lot of those areas in the mountain region), plowing of snow may not happen for a few days...NC just isn't well prepared for snowy weather. My parents live in the foothills area north of Winston-Salem on a state maintained gravel road. They usually have to wait for the snow to melt rather than things being plowed. But it usually warms up enough that it only takes a day or two for the road to clear up. They don't have a 4 wheel drive car so it makes things a bit trickier.

2) Not sure on housing prices near Asheville. I grew up in MD though and prices are a good half here in NC than they were in MD. I find them to be pretty reasonable.

3) Taxes, not too bad. Different cities/counties have their own taxes that definitely vary.

4) Vehicle inspections are yearly. All diesels are exempt from emissions and get safety inspections only. Anything older than '95 is exempt from emissions as well. But inspections are pretty easy and nothing to really worry about. Basically as long as you drive to the inspection place, your car stops, the horn works, and no CEL (if you need an emissions test) then you'll pass.

5) Well, you don't like urban areas and those are the most "troublesome" I'd say. Winston-Salem is pretty nice, with Old Salem to explore. And downtown Raleigh is good too. Charlotte and Durham have certain reputations though for sure.

6) If you're going to visit, I'd recommend in the Fall. And head out to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The leaf colors can be really awesome and seeing the different colors along the mountains from the parkway is really great. Spring is good too though. The rhododendron blooms are beautiful and they line the parkway and the mountain ranges. We haven't managed to catch them in bloom ourselves...we always get there too early.

The great thing about NC is that there are a ton of national and state parks. Many cities and towns have some great parks and greenways. If you are at all interested in the beach (which the Outer Banks are pretty great, IMO), you might consider living closer to Winston-Salem. You're only about 2 hours from Asheveille and maybe 5 from the beach.

I've lived in NC since '05 when I came down for college. I've never looked back. My husband and I have settled just outside of Raleigh. Good area for jobs with RTP in our backyard...more in the tech sector but lots of environmental stuff too. Plus, you have DENR (Dept. of Env. and Natural Resources) downtown. Not sure about the other areas of the state for env. work (I actually have a Masters in Natural Resources so I know the struggle of finding env. work). Medical field is pretty strong in NC.
My parents moved to NC in '06 after them both being born and raised in MD. They wanted to own a house and some property, something they couldn't dream of doing in MD. So now they have 10 acres and a house that they've really made their own. Big field, creek, lots of trees. They're pretty rural but only about 20 minutes from a small town, 45 minutes from Greensboro and Winston-Salem. 30 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. That's the other great thing about NC...you can drive 20 minutes out of a big city and be in the middle of nowhere!

I love it here. I'd say take some time and explore. There are a lot of variations all over the state from terrain (the coast is completely flat...and then we have Mt. Mitchell which is the highest point East of the Mississippi), weather, people, etc. But I think its a great place to be, especially if you like being outside. Summer can be a bit brutal, but that's what A/C is for right?

Good luck in your search!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Thanks for this.

I know the extremes can be a bit brutal but they're temporary and not indicative of the rest of the year. It's why I don't recommend people visit Maine in the 2nd week of February when it often hovers well below 0°.

I didn't know Asheville was actually in the mountains, something in the foothills with access to the mountains would probably be better then.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Asheville is awesome... I am from near there but also you might want to consider Johnson City TN about an hour from Asheville.

No state taxes.
No vehicle inspections or emissions.
Medical School there (ETSU)
Housing is inexpensive
Similar to Asheville outdoor activities (hiking, trout fishing, biking). JC is more in the foothills than Asheville.

If you do not like crowds, make sure you don't get anywhere near there on the two NASCAR weekends though. One in April and one in August.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think you'll enjoy Asheville if you have enjoyed Maine.

Utah has some awesome national parks, but I think you'll find it to be a very stark contrast to Maine. It's a great place to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bar-B-Que is a whole lot better in North Carolina than you'd find in the Florida Keys... (don't know about BBQ in Utah...)

My 2 scents...

Yuri

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My wife was from Greensboro, and I have a good friend who lives in Brevard, near Asheville. I've been down there a bunch of times. I don't like the flat parts of NC so much, too hot in the summer, but Asheville/Brevard/Hendersonville is nice. In some ways it's pretty similar to non-coastal ME. Gets pretty rural fast when you get out of town, lots of areas to hike and bike, and Asheville is a pretty nice small city with some variety in restaurants, etc. It's no Boston, but it's not bad.

The climate there is pretty hard to beat. It's actually considered sub-tropical because of the rainfall levels and the relatively high annual low temps. I've been there in an ice storm in January, and that's not fun. But it doesn't last, unlike bad weather up here. Next day it was all gone. It doesn't get very hot in the summer, probably no hotter than central Maine (maybe not that hot, even).

Overall not a bad option.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Not a NC native, but we have spent a little time in western NC. IMHO it has a lot to offer if you like forests, the Blue Ridge, fishing, hunting etc. Ashville is pretty neat, but I might see it as a visit area rather than a live in area if you like a bit more solitude. Also proximity to SC, TN, GA etc. You can go 4 directions, all good stuff.

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Hey Abacus we have talked before and I have lived here since 1993. I am outside of Raleigh in Apex. I travel all over the state and I can say I have a good grasp on our state. I would stay away from Asheville personally. Great place to visit but very crowded especially in the summer. Look into the Uhwarrie National Forest area. Cenrtal part of the state very laid back with quick access to western part of state. Climate varies year to year. I have been in far western part of state and it reached upper 90's in summer and it can hit -0 other times. I am from Illinois so this is an awsome place to live for me. Good MTB wherever you go. Some one suggested Eastern Tennessee and that is a possibility also. My wife is from there and I am also familiar with the area. I would love to see you settle in NC near the Uhwarries or Wilkesboro area just outside of Boone would be another good location. My biggest complaint here is the gas taxes,auto inspections,and personal property taxes. Cost of living is comparable to other states and as mentioned before a lot depends on the county and area you live. If you come for a visit let me know and we could meet somewhere and I will answer any questions you may have. Lots of cabins for rent in western part of the state. Asheville is a haven for hippies! That is all I have to say about that. Let me know when you visit. If you fly in to Raleigh-Durham I would be glad to pick you and your family up.

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Yes there are alligators along the coastal area but you may never see them. I know this for a fact because I am a bridge inspector and we have dive teams along the coast and they have seen them but not a normal occurrence. Dont let that scare you!! I would be more afraid of the hippies in Asheville than alligators. lolol

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Augie, thanks so much. We'll definitely be driving one of the TDI's down, most likely the wagon since it's setup for the highway better, but I appreciate the offer to look after us if we did fly. If you don't mind I'll PM you offline about some specifics since we really don't know much about the state or where to visit for a possible relocation. Nothing wrong with hippies since we have them as well but we don't really fit in with the crowd, or with many other crowds for that matter.

Are you going to the TDIFest? If so, maybe I could buy you a beer or two and we could discuss it. The same goes for anyone else from NC.

We know all about the variability of location, even up here. The taxes can more than double from one town to the next which is part of why we live where we do now. There are also differing geographical 'flavors' that may or may not be suitable for prospective relocatees. I doubt that differs from one area to another. But wherever we decide, it'll be home.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
While in the western NC area, drop down the mountain to Greenville, SC.
Check out downtown.
Being a little bit lower then Ashville, we tend to be 5-10 degrees warmer in the winter.
We do get some snow, but it does not stay.
No auto inspections, low taxes, lower fuel taxes then NC, cost of living is considered low.
Greenville has been highly rated as a place to live.
Very convenient to the foothills for hiking, etc. checkout one of the best trails around at http://www.foothillstrail.org/

Howard Garner

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
^^^^^^^What cascade 7997 said^^^^^^^ lol
Do you mean the TDI Fest in Maine? If so no I will not be able to make that. A little too far for me and work schedule won't allow it. I do want to get up there and do some camping though.One other thing I forgot to mention if you like micro brew beer North Carolina is becoming a hot bed for new brewery's. They are popping up all over the state and some very good beer I might add!!

Last edited:

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Born and raised in North Carolina. I'm still in North Carolina lol. I do agree Asheville is a nice place to visit, but the traffic drives me crazy. I've been all over North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia, and some parts of Florida. If you want the closest access to the beach and mountains, North Carolina would definitely be my first choice. Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point (Piedmont Triad) are very close to the mountains (an hour and some change) and the beach is only 4 hours away (Myrtle Beach is a popular destination, the Outer Banks is nice as well). The gas tax is higher in North Carolina, but the roads are so much better than any state around. West Virginia has THE WORST roads I've ever seen. South Carolina is up there as well. I would weigh the gas tax with a flat tire or damage to your car with how bad the roads are.

North Carolina is great for anyone in healthcare or banking (tech jobs in Raleigh too). I would say these are the easiest jobs to find in NC. Charlotte and Raleigh are both nice areas to live. As with any nice area, there will be bad parts as well. For Charlotte, look up Myers Park, Southpark, Ballantyne, Matthews, Steele Creek. For Raleigh, look up Stonehenge, Brier Creek, North Hills, and Five Points.

Last edited:

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
As far as the Raleigh area, I'd also look into the surrounding towns. We live in Cary and love it. Morrisville is another good one. Apex is up and coming as well. RTP is really spurring growth around the area and so there are a lot of good places to live and a lot of activities to do. Greenways, state parks, etc.

I do want to echo the brewery sentiment though. Lots of them popping up all over the place! Downtown Raleigh has a number of them, plus several in the outskirts. And I feel like I hear about a new one opening every month or two. And that's just in the RDU area. Asheville area has a ton of breweries. There are a few moonshine distilleries as well (Troy and Sons in Asheville, Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill, Midnight Moon near Greensboro). RDU area also has some really good food, IMO. Because of RTP, there are lot of very different cuisines available. Plus, you can't beat Carolina BBQ!

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I've lived in NW NC (5yrs), piedmont NC (8yrs). Utah (5mths), currently S. FL (10yrs), and other places. VeeDubTDI put it well regarding UT, Boise on the other hand...

Florida is OK if you like the weather, we know several people who have lived in the keys and burned out on it after a few years at most. An area that might be a good fit would be the Ocala area or the coast west of there excluding Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater. Rural, good climate, and outstanding MTB trails. The description of you two reminds me of some friends who just moved from here to Siesta Key which is a great coastal location and an hour from two outstanding MTB trails.

Western NC might be the best fit, foothills or other mountain locations as previously suggested vs. Asheville proper.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I am an Asheville area native (41 years) and the taxes here will kill you. Asheville is very much becoming a tourist attraction. It is beautiful and I have never wanted to live anywhere else. If I had to move I wouldn't want to move far for sure, I have however been blessed with a good job and have been able to stay even though the cost of living is much above average. We have a fierce tdi following and no emission inspections. Running tail of the Dragon this coming week. Great white water rafting, home to the Biltmore estate, lots to offer. Amazing place.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I guess it's all relative. I don't know what taxes are like in Maine where the OP lives, but glancing at some property listings in Asheville the property taxes appear to be less than half what they are here in suburban Boston. And houses are far less expensive.

My friend who lives in Brevard moved there, in part, because property taxes were low. I'm sure Asheville is higher, but it'll depend on what you're used to.

Ike T

TDI
2003 Jetta
Murphy, NC may offer what you're searching for as an option to Asheville. My mom lived there the last 10 years of her life and really enjoyed it after 50 years in Atlanta.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I have lived in in NC. Waynesville, Asheville, Brevard & Moorehead City.
I have lived in Fl. West Palm, Jax Beach, Clewiston & Destin.
I have lived in Tn. Tri Cities area.

NC is heavily taxed.
Currently live in TN. & retired.

BTW . Spent most of my summers in ME. working on uncles lobster boat & picking blueberries.

PM me if you want for phone # & I'll give you the real scoop

BTW. Although I live in TN. Brevard would be my #1 choice

Last edited:

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
Abacus,
I live just south of Charlotte, and usually travel to Asheville (and the surrounding areas) every other month. Asheville is a great city to visit, but it is very touristy. If you like hiking and mountain biking Montreat, Brevard, Hendersonville, and other towns south of Asheville would be good areas to research. Pisgah forest is close to the three I listed, and it is a great outdoor playground for all activities.
If you want to be more "in" the mountains look into Waynesville, Clyde, and the surrounding areas.
If you like craft beer, as I do, make sure you stop by Wedge Brewery, Lexington Avenue Beer Company, Green Man Brewery, Asheville Beer Company, and Wicked Weed in Asheville. In Waynesville there is Bearwater Brewery. There are others in the area, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Let me know when you're coming into the area, and I'll be happy to play tour guide.

Jake

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Thanks all, and please keep the opinions and experiences coming, they are painting a much better picture than what I originally envisioned. We will start looking at various areas around Asheville, as well as considering border states. Of course, nothing will be done until next year but I keep an eye on different areas to look at trends. I like to have my homework done prior to finalizing anything large.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And if you move to the Brevard area you'll have the pleasure of telling people you live in Transylvania County. Always liked that.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
And if you move to the Brevard area you'll have the pleasure of telling people you live in Transylvania County. Always liked that.
:) transylvania County is beautiful. Lots of waterfalls and hiking. Close to either Asheville or Hendersonville which have major chain stores for shopping. I live in extreme western Buncombe county outside the Asheville city limits so I get city convenience with rural prices for the most part. I am at Wookies in the woods in Robbinsville right now with my R32 and there are some of the best scenery and driving roads in the world here and it's only a 2 hour drive for me. If you can find a living wage employent and stay outside of downtown Asheville it is truly an amazing place.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just found this thread, so thought I would offer my views. I have live in Southern California for a long, long time. Either L.A., Orange or San Diego Counties. San Diego has been home since 1981. While California is not on your short list, you may want to consider it.
1) You simply can not beat the climate. Florida and most of the East Coast has way to much humidity, even when the rest of the weather seems fine.
2) You like out door activities. Tell me where else you can ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon on the same day. Ski at Big Bear, surf at Huntington Beach in the afternoon, less than 100 miles from Big Bear at 6000+feet elevation.
3) Employment. Wife will have no job issues anywhere, but lots of offers in Socal. You in Evironment field will have many more opportunities in California than any other part of the country.
4) You like bike riding and hiking right? Again, tons of places in California. More bikers than any other state by far. Hiking trails all over the local mountains and deserts. The Sierra Nevada are not too far away for world class winter sports. Mt.Whitney is the highest peak in the 48 states. The John Muir Trail will take you all over the Sierras. Want a longer trail? Try the Pacific Crest trail. Starts at the Mexican border and goes all the way to Canada. In the winter and spring, the deserts are fantastic places to hike.
5) Housing cost are not cheap, but if you want to live close to the back country with a bit more than just a suburban lot, you can find it at a surprisingly reasonable cost (Hey, I live hear and am very used to the purchase price. Other states have much higher property taxes - Texas for example).
6) Auto inspections? Only one we have is an every 2 year smog test. 97 and prior diesels do not get tested at all.
7) San Diego has more great micro breweries than any other part of the country.
8) Baja Lobster - not as big as Main lobster. But very good eating also!!

Seriously. Of the locations on your short list, I would pick Utah. Good education system, great outdoor area - more national parks than any other state. Reasonable housing cost and more land. Better climate than the east coast in my view. You may have a little more trouble finding a job than in California, but you will find one.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
No offense John, but I'd live in China or Russia before I lived in that insane state. I've been there (oldest daughter did her dissertation work there) and the weather is nice but that's all it has going for it. I won't get political, environmental, or even reasonable but let's just say the two aforementioned countries are more appealing to me for numerous reasons. No, Kalifornia isn't on any list I'd consider for many reasons.