OT: Is this legit or a scam?

terry_01vw

TDI
01 jetta tdi
It sounds too much like a scam but here it is: I saw a 2000 audi tt for sale on kijiji montreal for 3900$, apparently perfect condition car so i replied to it and then this is the email i got back:

Hi,
I'm Sophie Campbell, you inquired about my 2000 Audi TT Quattro ( VIN# : truuc28n9y1064294 ).
If you are still interested in buying it, I'm asking US $3900. It has a clean title, very well maintained, always garage kept, no rust, excellent condition, runs and sounds 100% perfect with no leaks or noises. All power and optional equipments are working perfect. I have to sell this car as fast as I can because in three weeks I will be in Europe and I think I'll stay there for a while that's why I'm selling it so cheap. I intend to buy a new car when I'll get back home. The car is in US alredy crated and redy for shipping. If you want to buy the car, I can ship for free within US. If you are interested we can use a third party escrow broker ( Moneybookers.Com http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow ) to secure the transaction and to handle this whole process for us. Using a reputable E-Commerce third party escrow company will secure the transaction and you will receive the car before I'll get paid and of course I'm also covered because the funds will be kept safety into the escrow account. This is the best way for me even if I'll have to pay some extra money for their services. I'll cover the broker's fee and like I've explained, the shipping will be free. Let me know if you are interested.
You'll love the car, I can guarantee you that!

Golfik

Veteran Member
TDI
Golfik
these scams are so old.....

i can't belive that people are still trying this to get money.

terry_01vw

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Anyway I sent a load of B.S. back to her and said this just to see what she replies:
Where are you in the states? I have lots of family in different area's of the states that im due to go visit, maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. That way i could give you the cash in your hand and it will save you shipping fee's. And also, how many miles are on this car?

Golfik

Veteran Member
TDI
Golfik
i would say YES.

I have read many stories like this.
It always people moving to Europe or their already there and need to sell the car FAST. The same goes for motorcycles.

terry_01vw

TDI
01 jetta tdi
ok thanks guys. I would've never bought it like that anyway but I just had to make sure it was a scam and not actually a really good deal because then I would be upset if I missed out on it.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
I have seen so many of these on ebay and kijiji. Wanna have some fun. Drag it along and pretend your interested. I'll bounce 4 or 5 emails back and forth and say things like the money is on the way. Then when I get tired, I just flag the listing as illegal or spam. It is definitely a scam. eBay used to be really bad if you did a search for Supra or RX-7 or any other car that was a heavy tuning car. They seem to be getting better at catching them quicker. There was always a telltale story. "The car is currently in (insert city here) but I've got married or moved out of the country" "you mail me the money and I'll ship you the car." Yeah Right!

I recently found one on Craigslist for London area. 2006 TDI White with Tan leather interior. $9800. This story had a different twist. I was to go to a moneygram with a friend and send this friend $2000 and keep the voucher. Once that was done I was to send a photocopy of the voucher to this person who was out of the country. Once they got the photo-copied voucher, they would know I was serious about buying the car so they would board a plane to fly to Canada to show me the car and complete the deal.

Gimme a break. Like the other members said if it looks too good to be true it almost always is. Just my .02

no tdi yet

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi Auto :-(
I got the same story from someone on kijiji but it was that the "woman" was just divorced and being a woman had no use for a car. Implying that women dont drive. (very middle eastern)

tttthumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why can't the cops be involved and set up a sting or Dateline.

I watched with partial amusement on the Dateline episode where they caught a "lady" scamming couples that wanted to adopt"

Basicaly there was a lady who was telling SEVERAL couples that she was pregnant, and that she would "sell" them her baby. She got ALL kinds of money from different people.

She'd call the couple and tell them that she's in labour, and to expect the child really soon. Then changed her cell phone number or disconnected it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14559599/?page=6

Dateline also did an episode where they were catching people ID thief.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17938789/page/4/

Perhaps Dateline should be informed of these car scams?

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
It's too bad that they don't follow up I agree but I think most of these scams are originating in places like Nigeria. Only know that one from experience on eBay. If would take a tremendous international task force. The cost would be considerable I would imagine all for getting one person for a $5k or $10 internet scam.

Selling babies on the other hand is a different story.

Dateline or 20/20 or one of those shows did do a story on Paypal scams on ebay and mail drop shipping scams. It was quite interesting. Was involving people in the states that were using the home address as a base. Some even believed that they were doing legitimate business. It would be interesting for them to do a story on the car scams I agree.

Jetta1995

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
tttthumper said:
Why can't the cops be involved and set up a sting or Dateline.

I watched with partial amusement on the Dateline episode where they caught a "lady" scamming couples that wanted to adopt"

Basicaly there was a lady who was telling SEVERAL couples that she was pregnant, and that she would "sell" them her baby. She got ALL kinds of money from different people.

She'd call the couple and tell them that she's in labour, and to expect the child really soon. Then changed her cell phone number or disconnected it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14559599/?page=6

Dateline also did an episode where they were catching people ID thief.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17938789/page/4/

Perhaps Dateline should be informed of these car scams?
RCMP are on to this stuff. Before I got my last TDI I did a lot of internet shopping and I would run into this all of the time. One day I got ticked off because of so many of theses scams and phoned the RCMP phone frod line and reported a bunch of them, he had all of them but one and thanked me for the help. To bad they wouldn't post a list somewhere, but I suppose that would be to easy.

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
Hi Im a Prince in Europe with $9,000,0000 Id like to get out my country,
just send me $5000 and your banking info.If you help me Ill give you $100,000.............I also sell "good"cars.

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
redlinedave said:
On weekends I sell $1200 speakers for $400 out of my van in mall parking lots
hahah......I remember these guys. After seeing them every weekend doing the same thing for a month or so, I ended up buying a pair of "$1200" for $200. They are still sounding pretty good 8 years later!

Also, I once contacted a guy in Florida with the same car scam as in this thread. He wanted me to send him the shipping money and he would ship the car to me. hahaha......I told him to ship the car to me and I would pay him twice as much as his asking price if everything was legit.....havent heard back yet (2 years ago).

Steve

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
Those guys have business licences and are a legit company with a great marketing idea...tell people who arent looking to buy speakers that your selling high value speakers for a low price. Ive never bought any but they are a licenced business.

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
Silver02TDI said:
If someone tries buying a baby, they deserve to get ripped off...

Thats easy for you to say as you havent been told you cant get pregnant and would have to wait like 5 years for an adopted baby. Some people spend 15000 for invetro and thats not guaranteed.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
VDubbing said:
Thats easy for you to say as you havent been told you cant get pregnant and would have to wait like 5 years for an adopted baby. Some people spend 15000 for invetro and thats not guaranteed.
I might be told that some day, who knows? If that's the case, then that's life. There are plenty of older children looking for homes (something I'm considering regardless). Children shouldn't be a commodity to be bought and sold (but in parts of the world they unfortunately still are)

I know that Children's Aid in Toronto has ~1,000 kids in its care right now, and they have no waiting list. If people are waiting five years, it's a) because they are picky and want the perfect baby, instead of considering a kid that is a few years old and therefore maybe be a bit of a challenge at first; or b) because Children's Aid has deemed them unsuitable for some valid reason.

So yeah, I still have ethical and moral issues with the whole concept, and they don't get my sympathy....