Oscillating moan - rrRRrr - every other second at 65 mph

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
My kid just got a 2012 JSW and once I got it "ready" for them --Timing belt, new tires, brakes, air filter, oil change, brakes, and got an alignment.. drivnig afterwards between 65-70 there is a low moan or rrrRRrr like every other second.. rrrRRrrr -------- rrrRRrrr ------- Coming from the front, sound more driver side..

I didn't see anything concerning when I was under the car or had the wheels off. -Any ideas??

Thanks,
Derry

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Wheel ballance or the tire is not healthy or bad strut or bushings...
Who knows!

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes - the noise has always been there since we bought it like a month now - but there were balding ****ty cupping tires on it when they bought it so i Thought it might be the balancing or the alignment, or alignment/suspension parts causing it but with the new tires(balanced) and new alignment... ??

I am thinking I might get new control arms with new bushings - the struts seem good, but I can change them too..

Any thoughts on CV shafts, wheel bearing, or motor mounts?

Thanks again, Derry

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you should have the best tires you can afford on that car regardless. start there.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Possibly coordinated with when the cooling fans are running?
Do you have the AC on at the time?
The frequency of the running fans will sometime beat against each other or some other frequency that the engine is producing.

I'd have to also say that if you have aftermarket solid shaft (~1.25" dia) passenger side axle they are a known noise maker.
They typically produce cabin resonance at around 1800 and again 3600 RPM.

Last edited:

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I thinks its a suspension/driveline issue, but I don't think its because of an solid shaft aftermarket axle. I have one on my Jetta Wagon an it produces a constant resonance @ 1900 and 3800 rpm. not oscillating.

My first bet would be Wheel Bearing. 2nd axle CV joint. 3rd blown shock bouncing @ high speeds (check by having someone drive beside you on interstate and watch tires for bouncing).

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all, I'll do some more diagnosing this week with the drive beside..

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
No wheel hop - no RPM correlation. semms the higher the RPM the loader it got, and the spacing between got quicker.

--DID, however notice that turning left at speed basically makes it go away, and turning right at speed makes it constant..
--SO, I'm thinking wheel bearing..

Probably going to change all though - bearings, control arms, and struts..