Orange Beetle found a new home with me...

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
This is my 2003 Beetle GLS TDI due to be picked up some time next week. After doing some research on beetle diesels, I chose this year for it's compatibility with biodiesel. I'll be keeping my honda crv for snow days, ski trips and light hauling, but the NB will my fun car (so I needed a manual!) and for my 3 hr commute to and from seattle. It has a trailer hitch, but not sure what it can even pull?? I originally wanted isotope, but I don't believe they made that color as a TDI in the US. I'm still happy to have found a fun color, since our other two cars are silver. DH said he'd even drive an orange car. ;) Sorry for the lame photos, they were taken from my phone.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
LOL! It's funny how cars will follow you home.

Will you be showing it off at the Lake Stevens GTG later this month?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
You're also lucky to have a few club members nearby on Whidbey Isle. I like the orange too.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Ooooh!
She's very pretty.

My beetle is silver and a '98. And she needs a lot of love.
I hope to be driving her up to the GTG on 5/30.
Will you be there?
:D :D :D
Keli

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Never knew TDI's came in that color!!! Sweet!

You might be surprised how much snow you can go though with a good set of snows and a "Lift kit"

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Fun car. I drove my Golf all over the place this last winter. Just need decent tires. If you want someone to work on that paint for you , let me know ;) (Looks like the previous owner or dealership had a hack detailer work on it). With the hitch you could get a hitch mounted bike/ski rack I suppose if you wanted to get some better mileage going to Baker or Stevens this winter... If you ever go to Stevens, you'll probably see me on hwy 2 sooner or later.

Last edited:

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Yeah, I'm pretty excited....I haven't had a car that I've really enjoyed driving in years. I like the CRV, but hey...a bit too practical. So these go in the snow pretty well? The GLI had some issues this last winter and freaked me out at times. What tires do you suggest? I know the ones on the beetle are practically new, but can't remember what they are.

I hope to make the gtg on the 30th. If I have to work early the next day, I may have to fly out on Sat, but I'll do what I can not to. I'd really like to have it checked out since we have no experts up here (that I know of)and the tb/wp was done about 5000 miles ago by a shop that no one seems to be familiar with.

Farfromovin said:
If you want someone to work on that paint for you , let me know ;) (Looks like the previous owner or dealership had a hack detailer work on it).
Honestly, I'm not sure if they've really done anything with it lately. Do you do detailing? Thanks, I may have to take you up on that offer. There are also some ad stickers on the trunk that need to be peeled off.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Any dedicated snow tire will make the bug go like stink in the nasty ice/snow like we had this winter. I'm in the Navy (explains the Oak Harbor location) but I'm originally from Eugene, OR. This is the first car I've ever had snow tires on and during the whiteout '08 it was like night and day. I fear no roads as long as the snow is less than about a foot or so.

I am an avid auto detailer and usually just work on friends/families cars but I wouldn't mind cleaning up another VW though...

Last edited:

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
OK, finally picked it up. What a fun car to drive! A couple of things I need to do is replace the emblems because they're faded and not sure if I should do blue/white, blue/chrome, black/chrome or black. I would like to add *tdi* on it and wondered if there's a green and silver one. Such crucial decisions to make...lol. Also I'm thinking of replacing one of the headlights since it's a bit clouded, but the retail prices on those are outrageous. It's not a big problem yet anyway.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
The headlight lenses are plastic and can be polished with $2 worth of stuff from the dollar store:

Go buy a microfiber towel and a tube of plain white tooth paste. Spread liberally and rub hard with the microfiber towel until your arms ache. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Inspect. Sometimes there is a layer of fine silt/dust that accumulates on the inside of the lenses though :(

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
nicklockard said:
The headlight lenses are plastic and can be polished with $2 worth of stuff from the dollar store:
Go buy a microfiber towel and a tube of plain white tooth paste. Spread liberally and rub hard with the microfiber towel until your arms ache. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Inspect. Sometimes there is a layer of fine silt/dust that accumulates on the inside of the lenses though :(
I'll try that. Thanks. The people I bought it from had some solution they used on it that helped but it still dims the light a bit. I did notice the seals around the lens is broken, so maybe it is on the inside.

Seebee.. There's one on eBay but they want like 13400 for it. I didn't pay anything near that and it doesn't even have heated seats. Yikes.

Last edited:

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Well, it's approaching a year since I got my NB. *whew, time flies* I thought I'd upload a few new pics since I've replaced a few parts for cosmetics.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
This car (if it has ESP?) is perhaps the perfect example of what a Tdi can be: safe, stylish (great color and a shape that's holding up well), with great fuel economy.

Oh, and the ability to tow. Tdi Nirvana right there. I <3 your car.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Very nice car, I like the color...just not sure I could live with it everyday. Silver is a little more my style as my car already stands out enough as is. The green TDI badge goes well with the orange too.

If you're looking for interior mods, you should contact Aaron (Boraparts) and see if he still has any leather New Beetle steering wheels with the orange stitching.

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Thanks for the kudos. I love driving it...maybe because I've had to drive an auto for a while now. I've been keeping my eye on interior mods that have orange accents (I really don't want too much orange), but a steering wheel cover would be cool..I almost got a Hello Kitty one, but that interest lasted about a day. LOL I actually like silver or platinum grey alot, but since two of our cars are silver and so were two previous ones, I decided on louder...and the beetle was the style for it. I havent had a chance to test in in the snow and may not beable to this year...it's been a consistent 50 degrees here. I do have the CRV as a back up though, it's like a little wartank through pretty deep snow (once I got rid of the original crappy tires).

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
chemist93 said:
It's a great color, better than plain yellow, which is what I've got.
I have become quite fond of the yellow color, it's my wifes favorite color, so I've taken a liking many things including the new beetle. One could follow me home as you say!.:)

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
I must say SurferChick, you are really taking great care of her. Keep up the fatastic work1 What knid of wax are you using on that brilliant Orange.

Very Nice!:rolleyes:

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Thanks! I claybar'd it several months ago since there was something on it that felt like pollen or sap. I can't remember the wax, but after I bought it, I read that it wasn't one of the 'better ones'. lol. It has held up pretty well, but I'll probably redo it in a couple of months just before summer hits.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Surferchick2 said:
Thanks! I claybar'd it several months ago since there was something on it that felt like pollen or sap. I can't remember the wax, but after I bought it, I read that it wasn't one of the 'better ones'. lol. It has held up pretty well, but I'll probably redo it in a couple of months just before summer hits.
Claybar. Was it easy to use? I've always just used wax & a dual action buffer. You've got a nice deep shine going on there.

Way to go,
Dave

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
Wow digging the color:D I too have a trailer hitch, the only thing I can think of is a Bike Rack to haul your Bikes around.

bumblebeetdi

TDI
2006 Sunflower Yellow Beetle (Bumble Bee)
Claybar. Was it easy to use? I've always just used wax & a dual action buffer...
Way to go,
Dave
I used to work in a bodyshop as a detailer for about 2 years before actually working on the accident victims themselves (GM dealership). Using a clay bar isn't really hard but it does take a little time. Mothers, Meguire's, and I think Turtle Wax has Clay Bar Kits. I got the Meguire's kit and it comes with a clay bar, detail spray for the clay bar lubricant, a microfiber towel, and a small bottle of their Cleaner Wax, also includes instructions, just remember to always use that detail spray, you never want to use the clay bar on a dry surface. Before you start, clean the car real good, scrub all the bugs off, tree sap, road grim, etc. Once the car is dry, feel your paint, it will probably feel rough. Use the clay bar over the entire car, from top working down of course just as washing it, once you are done and wiped off any remaining spray on the car, feel the paint again and it should feel pretty smooth. Put a coat of wax on there, whether you use your own or the one that comes in the kit and that car will be as smooth as glass...actually, smoother than that lol. Like I said, it will take a little time, but the results are amazing. Have Fun!:cool: