Options after my 1z dropped a rod in Toyota

Tmkllr

TDI
1z in 86 Toyota 4x4
This morning my truck started smoking and knocking. Guess the 1z has finally given up.
I may just look for an AHU longblock to quickly get me back on the road.
If I find an ALH, can I more or less keep my 1z wiring and harness?
Will my old mounts work? My biggest hurdle will be the oil pan.
I'll probably convert to VNT while I'm at it.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
AHU is your best bet. Mounts are entirely different with an ALH. Try Dutch Auto Parts for an AHU longblock.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
ALH if you don't mind changing a few things...you can reuse your wiring (you can repin the 1Z pump wiring into an mkiv headlight connector)...depending on how your turbo side mount is designed you can reuse it also...ALH is slightly more efficient and a lot easier to source but you may have an issue with vacuum pump>firewall clearance.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
You can use the same mounts on an ALH as a 1Z AHU, just look for a BHW or AFN exhaust manifold. Not sure what turbo you have, that may be your only issue.

Tmkllr

TDI
1z in 86 Toyota 4x4
Thanks. I'm leaving heavily towards an ALH. I've found a couple decent local pickups for cheap. Dutchauto quoted a very good price on either engine too.
Since I want to go VNT anyway, I think I'll pick up the harness and ECU also.
Do I need to change out the accelerator?
I had a Holset HE221 28 psi, which screamed. But, I miss the low-end boost I need in a truck.

This is my driver's side mount. Hope it will work.

I’m trying to think of more questions, but honestly there's so much knowledge on this site I kinda know what I'm in for.
When this is all fitted and bolted in I'd love to delve into the world of self-tuning. That would be much easier with the ALH electronics.
In fact, I'm gonna start researching how to turn off the immobilizer now.

Tmkllr

TDI
1z in 86 Toyota 4x4
I found a nice ALH. I have the harness, ECU, and accelerator.
Would it really be worth swapping all of that in, deal with immo? or just have malone burn me a new set of chips with VNT? I already had an ALH pump on it, so that would be real easy.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Did you really run 28 PSI on a stock longblock???
Top kek. I've ran 32 psi on a stock internals ahu. Kept it back to 27 to 29 psi for various reasons, 40k on the clock and never had issues other than head lift (for other reasons)
Still it's not a great idea.