Optilube XPD vs OPTlube Summer +

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
DubStrom,
I would try to email Opti-Lube and ask for Steve. You could call also. I would tell him you bought Summer and you wanted Summer+. You have 4 gallons left, is there any way you could buy the centane improver from him to mix in.

I only say I would try this as I have seen Opti-Lube do some pretty amazing things for their customers to keep them happy.

Worse case, I would order a gallon of Boost and add it to your bucket.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Summer blend and summer formula are two totally different products. If you did not buy summer + but just "summer" you got the "blend" The summer blend has been replaced by XL. XL does not have a cetane booster.

You can get a bottle of boost to mix in with your summer blend. I have done this before. seemed to work just fine.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Just for some background; When I first got my car I wanted an additive immediately. With Stanadyne Lubricity Formula being available from Autozone I grabbed a bottle of it and used it for the first 3500 miles. My order of Schaeffers came in which included a bottle of Diesel Treat 2000. I have now ran it for 500 miles.

If I were to give Optilube a try would it be ok to mix XL and Summer+? Based on the chart above it should make for a very good all around additive.

The fuel around here has no posted Cetaine rating and I don't need an anti-gel, my tractor nor truck have ever had a gelling issue.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Summer blend and summer formula are two totally different products. If you did not buy summer + but just "summer" you got the "blend" The summer blend has been replaced by XL. XL does not have a cetane booster.

You can get a bottle of boost to mix in with your summer blend. I have done this before. seemed to work just fine.
What? Summer blend and Summer formula are different? Where do you get this stuff from?

Boost has more than just Cetane in it so you would be buying more lubrication and other items and it would probably be more expensive than what OL might offer you if you email them.

XL DID NOT replace summer. XL was designed as an Extreme Lubricant. One that was better than XPD. Summer was never better than XPD? This is the third time I have seen you post this crap. Please stop.

Just for some background; When I first got my car I wanted an additive immediately. With Stanadyne Lubricity Formula being available from Autozone I grabbed a bottle of it and used it for the first 3500 miles. My order of Schaeffers came in which included a bottle of Diesel Treat 2000. I have now ran it for 500 miles.

If I were to give Optilube a try would it be ok to mix XL and Summer+? Based on the chart above it should make for a very good all around additive.

The fuel around here has no posted Cetaine rating and I don't need an anti-gel, my tractor nor truck have ever had a gelling issue.
If you look at the MSDS for XL, it does have the chemical for cetane boost in it. I believe that they did not market it to have this due to confusion over what product people should use. You can see that people are confused already by Murphyslaw's post.

If I were you, I would try XL alone and see how it works before I added stuff with it that may not make a difference.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
What? Summer blend and Summer formula are different? Where do you get this stuff from?

Boost has more than just Cetane in it so you would be buying more lubrication and other items and it would probably be more expensive than what OL might offer you if you email them.

XL DID NOT replace summer. XL was designed as an Extreme Lubricant. One that was better than XPD. Summer was never better than XPD? This is the third time I have seen you post this crap. Please stop.

If you look at the MSDS for XL, it does have the chemical for cetane boost in it. I believe that they did not market it to have this due to confusion over what product people should use. You can see that people are confused already by Murphyslaw's post.

If I were you, I would try XL alone and see how it works before I added stuff with it that may not make a difference.
Sorry for the typo, summer blend(formula) IS the same. Should have proof read my post.

XL DID replace summer blend(formula). as stated in Opti-Lubes own data
Opti-Lube said:
XL XTREME LUBRICATION will replace our standard Summer Formula. Though Summer Formula has been a great product over the years XL surpasses it in lubrication and deposit control. Due to the exceptional quality of XL we no longer feel the need to carry both products.
Based on the spicer report(yeah I know not that again right...) Summer was NOT better then XPD when it came to lubrication, the new XL is.

I have not read the MSDS for XL, so I was not aware that it contained any Cetane boost quality. Nor has it been marketed to. Perhaps like you stated to prevent confusion.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
It was sent out to dealers and passed along to me. That was a snippet from the PDF when XL was announced. If you wish, I could send you a copy.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
So it was a note to dealers and a dealer passed it along to you? Are you telling me the truth? Seriously?

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
You asked for proof, there it is. And No. it was sent to me by a dealer whom I know.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...If you look at the MSDS for XL, it does have the chemical for cetane boost in it. I believe that they did not market it to have this due to confusion over what product people should use. You can see that people are confused already by Murphyslaw's post.
So, the marketing chart says no cetane improvement for XL, but the MSDS has he chemical for cetane boost in it?

What a confusing chain of posts. Maybe it would be best if y'all delete your wrong posts, or have a moderator do so.

I've been in touch with Steve at OptiLube. He commented (he's a salesman, remember!) that I MIGHT be raising my cetane too high with XPD (in TX, where pump cetane is already supposed to be 48+). He offered that I might want to cut my XPD dosage, and supplement with XL, which does not have a cetane booster. Of course, that would require me to buy MORE Optilube product, and I've got several gallons of XPD sitting in the garage. ARGGH!

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I hear you TDILast. Let me try to bring in what I can see from the MSDS.

First XL
http://opti-lube.com/downloads/MSDS/DFI-XL-MSDS.pdf

XL has 2 to 8 % Ethylhexyl nitrate (Cetane Boost)

Next XPD
http://opti-lube.com/downloads/MSDS/Opti-lubeDFI_XPD_MSDS.pdf

XPD has from 6.6 to 13% Ethylhexyl nitrate (Cetane Boost)

So, XL has half of the Cetane Boost that XPD has. IMHO, XL was build for Lubrication and to separate it from Boost and other product Opi-Lube has, they left out the cetane improving part. Other wise, its a cheaper alternative to XPD that performs better, right? It just does not have an antigel.

Does that make sense?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it! I'm awaiting a return call from Steve Conk at Optilube.
I'd really like a product that protects against moisture, and also lubricates. I don't need anti-gel, nor cetane boost.
IF I'm over boosting the cetane, than combining XPD and XL would continue over-boosting, right?

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
If you are over adding on cetane, XL would be the product you would want to go to. I would not mix the two although you can without issue.

But if you had too much cetane, you would be advancing the timing and getting combustion prior to optimal times, but.... Can that happen with our injection timing?

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
Those 4oz bottles have short necks. How do you guys pour the stuff into your tanks without spilling it?

ahfunaki

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
How do you guys feel about 4oz of XPD + 1oz of Summer+?

Is that overkill?

PS I know this is an old thread...

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Do you have a DPF? If so, over kill. I would drop that in half.

O-L has changed their formula to make it cheaper to produce. On other truck forums, many are seeing increased regenerations and lower mpg's.

While O-L has put out independent testing that the product performs better, it does so at the cost of added deposits on your injectors and added stress on emissions.

I would forget about the additive, drive more and worry less.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ISurvivedNMU: Okay, I'll bite, at the risk of starting yet another colorful discussion of additives.

"...O-L...changed their formul...it does so at the cost of added deposits on your injectors and added stress on emissions."

Can you post something that actually supports these statements? Thanks.

ahfunaki

TDI
Do you have a DPF? If so, over kill. I would drop that in half.

O-L has changed their formula to make it cheaper to produce. On other truck forums, many are seeing increased regenerations and lower mpg's.

While O-L has put out independent testing that the product performs better, it does so at the cost of added deposits on your injectors and added stress on emissions.

I would forget about the additive, drive more and worry less.
So you are saying just use 2oz of XPD?

ISurvivedNMU: Okay, I'll bite, at the risk of starting yet another colorful discussion of additives.

"...O-L...changed their formul...it does so at the cost of added deposits on your injectors and added stress on emissions."

Can you post something that actually supports these statements? Thanks.
Also interested in seeing this.

I don't know what do believe anymore...haha

Last edited:

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Yes please some statements in writing would be very helpful regarding changing in formulations for Opti-Lube products. But for that matter the other well known diesel additive manufacturers (Powerservice, Stanadyne, etc.) could be changing their formulas 'without notice' to the customer (except very general safety info required by law). So no telling who to trust more or less.

Also do the TDI folks with DPF are noticing "increased regenerations and lower mpg's"? I realize that to measure statistically significant changes in MPG is fairly challenging and time consuming so I do not expect an answer in that area necessarily.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Yes please some statements in writing would be very helpful regarding changing in formulations for Opti-Lube products. But for that matter the other well known diesel additive manufacturers (Powerservice, Stanadyne, etc.) could be changing their formulas 'without notice' to the customer (except very general safety info required by law). So no telling who to trust more or less.

Also do the TDI folks with DPF are noticing "increased regenerations and lower mpg's"? I realize that to measure statistically significant changes in MPG is fairly challenging and time consuming so I do not expect an answer in that area necessarily.
I posted the link just above your post bud.......... :confused:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I posted the link just above your post bud.......... :confused:
Sorry of was referring to official statements from various additive manufacturers telling their customers that their formulation has changed. It is not that common and Opti-Lube is not an exception.

After all these posts I see only anecdotal evidence against Opti-Lube from TDI owners or any other diesel additive for that matter.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I would not run any more than 2 oz per tank.

Call steve at O-L and ask him. He will have to tell you. When the "contaminants" were found, O-L admitted they changed their formula and now added Bio and another lubricant. I believe it was come contaminants from the Bio that caused the issue.

Also see post #44 http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/a...-like-stuff-bottom-my-opti-lube-xl-xpd-5.html
Worth posting in it's entirety here, but no telling if this is really from Opti-Lube:
Well, we are not a vendor, so please let this post stay. I will try to clear things up.

- There is/was a problem with some of the XL and XPD bottles we have out there. Bio-Diesel is a small part of our formula and the bottom of some barrels were very dirty.

- We are not listed on the EPA website for a diesel additive. We have recently applied and are working through the process. We hope to have it complete with the EPA soon.

- Our XPD formula is not the same as it was when the spicer test was complete. We have worked to make it better and we have done testing and posted it on our website.

- Opti-Lube was run out of a garage until 2 years ago. It now under Low Range Offroad's roof.

- We will stand behind our product and refund or replace product that has this issue. Just call or email us.

We are working to correct issues and have tested everything today and it was contaminant free.

ahfunaki

TDI
So basically there was a bad batch of Opti-Lube? Is that what was causing the issues for people?

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Yes, Opti-Lube was not/does not filter the fluids they mix. They picked up some black "stuff" from the bio-diesel they use in their products. They came out with a statement saying it was from the bottom of a few barrels of Bio and it was supposedly rectified.

You can read more about it on the truck forums.