Opti-Lube posted a Test of XPD and XL from Intertek

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Since the info was posted about the new XL product, I have been in touch with Steve @ Opti-Lube to find out all I can. I sort of went TDI-Tom on him asking for test results and he told me they would be coming.

I follow them on facebook and they told me they posted the results. In the email was also this PDF. I had to upload it to my site since I cannot attach it here. http://www.workshopaddict.com/images/Opti-Lube DSL Lubricity 07-02-14.pdf

It clearly shows the test from intertek.

https://www.facebook.com/OptiLube

The pump fuel has an HFRR score of 510
Opti-Lube XPD at 1:512 improved it to 380
Opti-Lube XL at 1:512 improved it to 240
Opti-Lube XL at 1:1280 improved it to 370

They say the pump fuel was from Flying J. Its nice to see results with pump fuel and with the dosage at normal levels. It shows that they are working to create better and better products!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Outstanding!! thanks for sharing these results with us. I'm ready to edit my signature :D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
What I find most alarming is the following statement from OptiLube:

"We TESTED Opti-Lube XL & XPD on Pump Fuel purchased from Flying J in Saginaw Michigan. The results are below.

The pump fuel has an HFRR score of 510"

So, for those of us that have assumed that lubricity of diesel at the retail pump has improved now face the reality that IT HAS NOT!!! It is no wonder that HPFPs continue to fail.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Nice to see numbers from them.

Scary HFRR score straight out of that pump though.....

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
it shouldn't be alarming, it's been preached for the past 6 years. it's simply telling you that the HPFP is operating as it was meant to, and the reason it's failing is because the fuel quality is crap. An easy fix with some lubricity additive.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it shouldn't be alarming, it's been preached for the past 6 years. it's simply telling you that the HPFP is operating as it was meant to, and the reason it's failing is because the fuel quality is crap. An easy fix with some lubricity additive.
I disagree with your assessment. Some folks who used lubricity additives regularly have had failures too.

I do agree that VW tdi owners should use a lubricity additive as a precaution, but am not convinced that it is a guarantee against failure.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I disagree with your assessment. Some folks who used lubricity additives regularly have had failures too.

I do agree that VW tdi owners should use a lubricity additive as a precaution, but am not convinced that it is a guarantee against failure.

Its a mechanical piece. It could fail from a defect... But we all know that poor fuel will make it fail. Lubricity additive should be able to guard against a failure due to poor fuel.

There are no guarantees in life, even condoms are only good 99% of the time......

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its a mechanical piece. It could fail from a defect... But we all know that poor fuel will make it fail. Lubricity additive should be able to guard against a failure due to poor fuel....
I don't disagree with the fact that lubricity additive will do its job (improve wear scar), but it is not a silver bullet for every fuel issue and it certainly is not the cureall as presented here:
...the HPFP is operating as it was meant to, and the reason it's failing is because the fuel quality is crap. An easy fix with some lubricity additive.
If the HPFP was "operating as it was meant to", then you wouldn't see failures in cars using lubricity additives.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Flying J is a nation wide fuel station right? They are a big truck stop, at least where I have used them. That's sick to know the fuel is bad near me and I am glad I use XPD, but I think I will switch over to XL as its cheaper and goes farther and seems to work better. I will just add some XPD in the winter.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
If additives were the solution, why hasn't VW or Bosch recommended them? Seems like a much cheaper solution than repairing/replacing the whole fuel system.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
XL is for sale on Opti-Lubes website for $38 per gallon.

http://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-improver-xl.html

I don't believe VW will recommend one because they do not want people to use one with an emulsifier.

John Deere has come out and said if you do not know the quality of the fuel you are using that you must use an additive that is a demulsifier and has lubricity additives.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If additives were the solution, why hasn't VW or Bosch recommended them? Seems like a much cheaper solution than repairing/replacing the whole fuel system.
1) I do not think that anyone has said that they are "the solution". The general consensus seems to be that lubricity additives might help and that they certainly can't hurt. They are no substitute for poor design or poor materials choices, but they just might help our pumps last a little longer.
2) VW or Bosch recommending them? This would require them to admit that they need them. IOW: admitting that they designed a flawed pump and then continued to build many thousands of them even after they knew they were not suited well for US diesel fuel.
3) VW or Bosch would also have to decide which additives to recommend. There are many additives out there; some are excellent and some are not. They would either have to test them all or else recommend whoever paid them the most.;)
4) I agree that additives (if they actually work) would be a lot cheaper than replacing an entire fuel system. This is why many members here consider a good lubricity additive to be "cheap insurance".

My car is out of warranty. I put 6oz of Opti-Lube XPD into every tank of fuel and I have 2micron's fuel system mods installed. Insurance is not perfect, but it can be worth the price.

Have Fun!

Don

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
those are some good numbers, sorry i could not find the correct link to this graph with a tdiclub search, but for those interested here is a link to a Bosch presentation paper. page 12 has a nice comparison graph.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/meeting/2003/022003bosch.pdf

btw, Matt927, iirc that number is 460.
Thanks for that, besides the folks buying any type of bio-blend at the pumps it would be interesting to see what percentage of diesel meets the 460 wear scar.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The HPFP was meant to operate on diesel fuel with a wear scar of 480 or less...
...actually, the Bosch paper frequently referenced recommended a wear scar of 460, not 480.
For those unfamiliar with these numbers, the lower the number, the better...it's a measurement of the size of the wear scar created.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Thanks for that, besides the folks buying any type of bio-blend at the pumps it would be interesting to see what percentage of diesel meets the 460 wear scar.

There was a 2012 diesel test that a member posted here about 6 to 8 months ago. Some made it and some did not. I would say 10 percent of the stations did not even meet government standards in the US. I tried to find it yesterday with no luck.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
dubfamily---thanks for the links, i had not seen that before. iirc, 10% is also right around where VW's testing that was released in the NHTSA thread showed.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
An emulsifier pick water up and holds it in the fuel dragging it through the injection system. It can boil when compressed and hurt injectors. It can also cause corrosion and hurt the HPFP.

A demulsifier drops the water out of the fuel so it can be picked up in the filter and keeps it out of the fuel system. John Deere and Ford specifically tell you if you use an emulsifier your warranty will be void. Also John Deere and Ford sell their own rebranded additives that are demulsifiers.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Bad fuel is a problem not confined to the Americas. Our son (in the armed forces, living in Italy) recently scrapped* their diesel Golf due to fuel system failure. He was told that fuel quality in Italy is so variable and uncertain that fuel system failure is common.

*NB: the car was scrapped because it was so old, and the repair so costly that it would not pay to repair it. In addition, they're being PCS'ed (transferred) within a month, so they're just bridging the gap with a Peugeot 208 until they leave. The Golf was one of two "beaters" that one typically buys when stationed where they were, the other being a gas FIAT Stilo. Naples is a terrible place to own a car, and for a number of reasons, not germane to this discussion. The good news is that they drove the Golf all over Italy and Sicily for three years with no trouble.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Which Optilube to use

I live in the deserts of Arizona and today it was about 110°F. at present I am using Optilube summer. 2oz in an 18 gallon fill up in my 2014 Passat SE TDI. I planned to switch to XPD in November when it cools off. Am I using the correct Optilube? I drove diesels in military but this is my first personally owned diesel. Most of our driving is city and we are getting about 32 MPG.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If you are int he deserts of Arizona, I would guess you don't see much in the way of cold weather, correct?

You would likely be best using the new XL year-round for your location and climate. It will provide the best lubricity and cleaning; while you won't need to worry about cold starts or water control I am guessing. ;)

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
If you are int he deserts of Arizona, I would guess you don't see much in the way of cold weather, correct?

You would likely be best using the new XL year-round for your location and climate. It will provide the best lubricity and cleaning; while you won't need to worry about cold starts or water control I am guessing. ;)

We get a freeze maybe 4-5 times a year. I have some of the XPD and Summer that I will have to use first. THANK YOU for the reply

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
XL has water control so it would be better for you to use than Summer! If you do not need an Anti-Gel, XL would fit all year long.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Since there seems to be some confusion about what each Opti-Lube product does, here is an image that was part of an advertising email I got from Opti-Lube a week or so ago announcing the new XL product.

Have Fun!

Don