Opti-Lube Group Buy - Free shipping on gallons

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
From what I am being told, there isn't much margin on Opti-Lube products, however the guys at Diesel Fuel Lubrication have offered free shipping on the gallon products. After some back and forth emailing with some of the members here, they have created a page for the members of TDIclub to order the product.

http://dieselfuellube.com/tdi.html

They would like to get 5 orders in the first day to make it worth their while. I think they already have 2 orders, so help them out! :)

Edit: The title states free shipping which is no longer the case. They are offering $4.75 shipping for TDIclub members using that link. Still a savings.

Last edited:

Cycleman

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
I ordered one yesterday. The free shipping is a big deal, since directly from Opti-Lube, the same size was gonna be $14 shipping.
From what I am being told, there isn't much margin on Opti-Lube products, however the guys at Diesel Fuel Lubrication have offered free shipping on the gallon products. After some back and forth emailing with some of the members here, they have created a page for the members of TDIclub to order the product.
http://dieselfuellube.com/tdi.html
They would like to get 5 orders in the first day to make it worth their while. I think they already have 2 orders, so help them out! :)
Edit: Just saw another thread started about this. Feel free to delete or merge.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
I have emailed the site to see if there is a way to order without using Paypal. Will let everyone know!

J2Jonner

TDI
2012 Jetta
I looked...but can't overcome its more than double price of PS - even with the free shipping. I can more than double dose the PS and still have it cost less.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I am willing to give it a try I guess. I have been using Stanadyne in all my diesels for the last seven years now, so I am curious to see how it compares. Have to say I have never been impressed with the results of Powerservice compared to Stanadyne.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I looked...but can't overcome its more than double price of PS - even with the free shipping. I can more than double dose the PS and still have it cost less.

Are you comparing to white or grey bottle Power Service? XPD is comparable to white bottle as grey doesn't have water control. If you can get a gallon of white bottle Power Service for $26 please let me know where.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
And that's fine. If you are happy with Power Service, carry on. No one is trying to get you to switch. Some of us prefer Opti-Lube and think that it's better based on what we know from the Spicer Report, and some don't take that Report as seriously.

J2Jonner

TDI
2012 Jetta
Are you comparing to white or grey bottle Power Service? XPD is comparable to white bottle as grey doesn't have water control. If you can get a gallon of white bottle Power Service for $26 please let me know where.
Here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7080778-P_x_x $19.99 minus $6 with code DOTW42 - pickup at your closest location. Comes to 17.5 cents an oz. But thats just the math, maybe someone can show its twice as good...I'm new here.

J2Jonner

TDI
2012 Jetta
I don't mind hedging my bets a little..but not for $50. If by chance anyone in the Richmond VA area wants to split a bottle, let me know. Thanks!

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7080778-P_x_x $19.99 minus $6 with code DOTW42 - pickup at your closest location. Comes to 17.5 cents an oz. But thats just the math, maybe someone can show its twice as good...I'm new here.

Thanks for that, hope that code works and continues too. I'm certainly not arguing which is better. Either works for me. I tried Optilube and have a leaning to it, but that was when I was looking at 30 cents an oz for Power Service white and 40 cents an oz for Optilube XPD.

So this is definitely worth looking into further.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
That's not a gallon; it's a little shy of 3/4ths of a gallon. Yes, power service is cheaper, no it isn't THAT much cheaper.

I'd suggest starting with the BITOG link above, and then reading through the current list of failed HPFPs. The one thing you'll see that is interesting, is that no failures have been reported from anyone who uses XPD regularly. Still not quantifiable proof, but between that and the spicer report the evidence is certainly worth considering.

Certainly up to you which product you want to use, if any. For me, with the price of Diesel where it is anyway (~$4 around me), we are talking an added $1.60/tank (XPD) compared to an ~$0.90/tank (average cost of PS white). The extra ~$0.70 really doesn't bother me. ;)

Last edited:

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Ordered! Thanks to whomever made this possible. Just cracked the seal on my second gallon for which I paid the shipping. Been using XPD since about 4K miles.

J2Jonner

TDI
2012 Jetta
That's not a gallon; it's a little shy of 3/4ths of a gallon. Yes, power service is cheaper, no it isn't THAT much cheaper.
umm... 17.5 cents an oz.. vs 40 cents an oz.. As long as you are dosing near equally per gallon, its less than half. mathmatically. ;)

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
That is definitely a great deal on Power Service - 2 bottles with that code comes out to 28.00 which is more than a gallon's worth (160oz).

Either way, don't dirty up this thread with it.

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
umm... 17.5 cents an oz.. vs 40 cents an oz.. As long as you are dosing near equally per gallon, its less than half. mathmatically. ;)
That's a sale, not the average price of it. Average price is about 23 cents per ounce.

If you feel PS is worth it then have fun. ;)

J2Jonner

TDI
2012 Jetta
That is definitely a great deal on Power Service - 2 bottles with that code comes out to 28.00 which is more than a gallon's worth (160oz).

Either way, don't dirty up this thread with it.
Sorry! Didn't mean to soil anything! (Someone asked where...) And yes, its a sale, but so is a group buy, duh! Will have to mix in a 1/2 gallon of XPD with my PS and double dose, :rolleyes:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
OK, point taken. You are still talking 70 cents per tank compared to 1.60 per tank. You can't even buy a cheap coffee for 90 cents, so the differences amounts to "not that much" to me, like I said. ;) (And personally I don't ever think good information or discussion is soiling a thread. It applies since it lets people know what else is out there and at what price; always useful.)

Considering the evidence for XPD, I'd say an extra 90 cents per tank is pretty cheap insurance. If you don't think so, that's cool too. That's the great thing about opinions, we all get to have our own :D

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Sorry! Didn't mean to soil anything! (Someone asked where...) And yes, its a sale, but so is a group buy, duh! Will have to mix in a 1/2 gallon of XPD with my PS and double dose, :rolleyes:
XPD is a demulsifier while PS White is an emulsifier. Mixing the two, at the very least, will cause God to kill a kitten, and at the very worst could cause a small black hole.

Be careful please, and think of the kittens.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
FYI, Brian who is the reseller in this group buy verified directly with Opti-Lube about the new packaging and the old pump. Your old pump, and mine, will work with the new packaging.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
FYI, Brian who is the reseller in this group buy verified directly with Opti-Lube about the new packaging and the old pump. Your old pump, and mine, will work with the new packaging.
The only issue is that the new bottle is a little shorter (and fatter). Therefore, you might have to cut off the bottom of the plastic tube a little bit. Other than that the old pump and the cap will work perfectly.

Have Fun!

Don

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
I just bought a gallon. What is the typical ratio to add/gallon? Does cod increase cetane at all or is it just lubricity?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
1/4 oz per gallon, so 4oz will usually take care of the tank.
They recommend a 1/2 oz per gallon for the winter, although I just run the 1/4oz per gallon year around.

Also, update on group buy.

It looks like they are only going to run this till the end of the weekend. The page will remain up indefinitely, but a small shipping charge will be added. Still not sure how much, but $5 was mentioned.

Either way, it will still be a good deal.

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
nice! Thanks for the hookup :) going to try XPD after running Stanadyne for the past 70k miles!