opinions on the South Bend Stage 2 clutch w/SMF?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I have the Stage 2 Endurance with 21 lb SMF. You still get some chatter on engagement.

Stage 2 Endurance is what used to be the Stage 3. (which I had when the pressure plate flew apart, South Bend fixed under warranty)

Last edited:

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
I had a south bend clutch in m 06 Dodge Ram. For pickups they build the best clutch in the market. I had no Idea they had clutches for vw's

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Everything I've read about the sachs VR6 clutch has been good, just the usual rattle especially if you go with the lighter smf. I'm looking forward to fitting mine soon too, in the snow no doubt. The other thing I've heard a number of times too is that the smf is smoother at take off. Six and half a dozen to me though as I have the G60 as standard and it's always been smooth till now but that's because it's not disengaging as well as it used to.

Last edited:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
very nice clutch, you won't be disappointed.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Southbend clutch

I think mine is a stage 3 with a 14# wheel. It chattered for the first 10K miles. It has always been a much more abrupt engagement than my previous VR6 clutch. Funny thing is that that VR6 setup finally stopped rettleing in neutral after a while, but the SB still rattles. In conclusion, the VR6 is much nicer to drive, but it is too much work to swap back.