Opinions on Jetta Wagon

Metalhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My father needs a car, and I found a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi, White, with heated black leather interior, and 170k miles with no rust, basically mint. Problem is, the owner (local dealer) said that it runs but runs poorly, likely due to a botched timing belt job. I talked to him about the car about 5 months ago, and he said the belt hadn't broken, he just didn't have the time to finish replacing the belt. Now he's listed it on craigslist saying it runs but runs poorly and that it would be an easy fix for anyone inclined.

I wanna pull the valve cover, if the timing belt had broken some of the lifters would be bulged, right?

I have all the tools and experience to fix most issues, and would be willing to replace the head if necessary.

He's asking 2000 obo. Is this a bad idea?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My question is why are you still here instead of offering him $1500. Jump on that sucka!

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
If it's truly rust free, and you're mechanically inclined, and have all the tools... then I'm in full agreement with Whitedog! Worst case, replace motor and do the clutch at the same time.

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
I agree with BOTH WhiteDog and Supton, what are you waiting for, go pick the darn thing up, Growler helped me find mine, bought it broken, replaced motor along with clutch and haven't looked back. Family Friendly, Wife Approved... Now with a Malone Stg3 Tune and DBW DLC1019 Stg1 Injectors - oh does she run.....

Metalhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It was manual, and it sold just before I called the guy. About 2 hours after posting this. It's a real shame. I should have jumped on it 5 months ago when I first saw it. Oh well. The hunt continues.