Opinions needed - suspension with lift

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Hey friends,

I’ve been digging around the internet searching for lifted Golf options. I’m interested in replacing all 4 corners with some Koni Reds or similar and can’t decide if I should use a lift spacer kit or just taller springs.

Does anyone here have experience with either taller springs(1in or 2in lift) or using OEM springs with a lift kit? My Golf has 212k miles on it and just want to do a total refresh with some extra clearance.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I have a jetta and lifted using springs instead of spacers ...

Reason was you can choose your spring rate and have extra travel vs a lift using just spacers

Andrew

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
mk4 golf? I would just replace with taller/stiffer springs. In my experience (I do live in the rust belt), springs will rust and eventually break, so I would just change them out.

IDparts does have lift/towing spring choices for mk4 wagon and a few others I don't recall exactly. I have lifted all my vehicles except the 2015 Passat, which is waiting for springs from ECS tuning. Mk5 jetta that I no longer own was lifted too.

Did some searching:

Also, I don't recommend Koni orange, those are garbage, paint peels off and start rusting within a season.

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I have a jetta and lifted using springs instead of spacers ...

Reason was you can choose your spring rate and have extra travel vs a lift using just spacers

Andrew

Oh that’s awesome! What brand did you go with and how much lift? Springs seem like that obvious answer to me but seems most just use a spacer. I’m not looking to tow, jus
[/QUOTE]
mk4 golf? I would just replace with taller/stiffer springs. In my experience (I do live in the rust belt), springs will rust and eventually break, so I would just change them out.

IDparts does have lift/towing spring choices for mk4 wagon and a few others I don't recall exactly. I have lifted all my vehicles except the 2015 Passat, which is waiting for springs from ECS tuning. Mk5 jetta that I no longer own was lifted too.
2002 MK4 Golf, yes. I’ll have to go on ID and check out their different options and such. My current setup is 100% stock but getting a little soft overall. I do put in heavy tools from time to time and that weighs the car down a bit. It’ll be nice to have that clearance for sure.

have you both just used taller springs with OEM shocks/struts or did you use a different brand?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
have you both just used taller springs with OEM shocks/struts or did you use a different brand?
2006 Jetta (mk5) and 2015 GSW taller springs, reuse dampeners, new mounts are a must.
2004 Jetta wagon (mk4) towing springs (taller and firmer), Koni orange shocks, Bilstein TC struts...pretty happy with the Bilstein.
2015 Passat, plan to reuse dampeners, refresh mounts.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
2006 Jetta (mk5) and 2015 GSW taller springs, reuse dampeners, new mounts are a must.
2004 Jetta wagon (mk4) towing springs (taller and firmer), Koni orange shocks, Bilstein TC struts...pretty happy with the Bilstein.
2015 Passat, plan to reuse dampeners, refresh mounts.
Good call on the new mounts. Seems like a lot of folks enjoy the Audi TT mounts as well.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Those are Koni orange, I think I'm not alone at complaining about paint peeling off almost immediate. I do not care for those. OEM Sachs or Bilstein TC or TC Sport, those are good.
Good to know. I used those shocks/struts almost a decade ago on a MK3 TDI.

https://www.idparts.com/bilstein-st...4bne2942-bilsteintca4-p-414.html#product_tabs

I’ll look up the difference between the TC and TC sports as they are only $10 difference. Perhaps that setup with the “beef on a budget” springs would work well.

Ok - the TC’s are 20% stiffer and the sports are 30-40% stiffer. The description for the TC Sports mention they are optimally made for the VR6 springs.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you are thinking about solid Audi TT control arm rear bushings, yeah that's what I have since a long time:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I think you are thinking about solid Audi TT control arm rear bushings, yeah that's what I have since a long time:

could be true. I always thought people were referring to the tops of the suspension in the engine bay.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I've gone with Koni Special Reds, NB these are NOT the newer FSD type. VR6 front springs and Wagon towing springs on the rear. 10mm spacers on the front struts. If you go for the rear Golf towing springs with this setup you'll sit fairly level all round at ~1"+. Note that the Special Reds are adjustable on installation and I dialed up my rear shocks 25%.
For the towing I do I have the Suplex Wagon Towing Springs in the rear, which lift an additional inch.
Also a 23mm VR6 front sway bar, IIRC stock is 21mm, though I'm not sure if that affects lift.

Also 215/55/16R tires which are a little taller, mebbe another 1/4" up. Without a load the car has a small amount of
head down rake, load it up or tow, and it levels out. Weight bias with the taller rears shifts a bit, and makes the rear
a bit livelier IMO, but it is a subtle tweak to the suspension. I've gone with OEM rubber for all bushings, I actually want a bit of compliance to the suspension, which is why I haven't gone for a rear sway bar. To deal with understeer, I've got an LSD if you want to get serious about cornering.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Someone has a 1" kit for sale on this site. Add a wagon spring in the rear and that will give you 2". There was someone at one time who manufactured and sold an .8" lift composite front strut mount. That added would get you near 2" in the front and save you an inch of suspension travel.
There is no travel difference between spacers and springs, lifted equally they both compress the strut the same.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm curious about this too. I got the longer springs for my golf, haven't installed them yet though, I want to replace the struts at the same time, but haven't decided which ones to use. I saw on ID parts that they recommend wagon struts if you're lifting it.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I saw a thread here where someone swedged some exhaust pipe and welded it to the bottom of his, yes they were gas, struts so he retained full travel. It was a off-road rally car, but if a longer strut could be found to fit the car that would be a nice way to do it

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have 2" spacers on Bilstein touring struts with automatic tranny springs up front, Wagon springs and shocks in the rear with extended lower shock mounts and inch and 5/16 spring spacers. Synthetic rubber suspension bushings and 205/15's all around. It drives pretty smooth

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I've gone with Koni Special Reds, NB these are NOT the newer FSD type. VR6 front springs and Wagon towing springs on the rear. 10mm spacers on the front struts. If you go for the rear Golf towing springs with this setup you'll sit fairly level all round at ~1"+. Note that the Special Reds are adjustable on installation and I dialed up my rear shocks 25%.
For the towing I do I have the Suplex Wagon Towing Springs in the rear, which lift an additional inch.
Also a 23mm VR6 front sway bar, IIRC stock is 21mm, though I'm not sure if that affects lift.

Also 215/55/16R tires which are a little taller, mebbe another 1/4" up. Without a load the car has a small amount of
head down rake, load it up or tow, and it levels out. Weight bias with the taller rears shifts a bit, and makes the rear
a bit livelier IMO, but it is a subtle tweak to the suspension. I've gone with OEM rubber for all bushings, I actually want a bit of compliance to the suspension, which is why I haven't gone for a rear sway bar. To deal with understeer, I've got an LSD if you want to get serious about cornering.
I have 2" spacers on Bilstein touring struts with automatic tranny springs up front, Wagon springs and shocks in the rear with extended lower shock mounts and inch and 5/16 spring spacers. Synthetic rubber suspension bushings and 205/15's all around. It drives pretty smooth
Damn your Jetta looks so good.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, it should. It’s one of those $800 cars that cost almost 4 grand

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have the Beef on a Budget with the Koni Orange (STR.T's) for my Jetta Sedan. I bought all new mounts and hardware and there was 3/4" lift front and rear IIRC, the front is just slightly lower than the rear is now; I wish I would have put 1" spacers in the front just to help keep the air dam above parking curbs. I wish I would have spent the extra money for the Reds as I understand you feel or hear less cracks/bumps in the road. She does ride better and handle better overall, so I really don't regret my purchase.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Well my rear driver shock went so I finally pulled the trigger on a new setup.

I went with 2 preassembled(just easier) Bilstein TC with Moog springs in the front, 2 Bilstein TC‘s in the back, and 2 rear Moog springs. Pretty straight forward install overall and all from IDParts.

I may go to the local pick n pull and snag a rear shock as it’s bouncy as hell until the new setup arrives. I’ll report back once I get it all installed 👍