Opinion on WIX filters.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
My local autopart store carries WIX air, oil, and fuel filters for my bug. Anyone have any comments on how good / bad they are? The oil filter had the internal separator, but the ends were capped in plastic. The air filter looked just like the stock one, and the fuel filter looked like my mahl, but a little bigger in the body.

Here is the website.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterloo...925&TempEngine=&TempSubModel=-1&TempYear=1998

I couldn't find any specs on the filters though, like to what particle size the filter out.

biodemon1956

TDI
none...yet
Until recently, I would've recommended WIX filters. But a member here asked about WIX in a recent thread. Someone responded that some (all?) WIX filters are now made in China.

Others can do what they want, but thats all I needed to know. No more WIX for me ever again.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Stick with OEM (Mann), Mann after market, Hengst, Mahle.

If the fuel filter says made in China DO NOT install it! Nearly every one RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX has been defective! Too much restriction, loss of power and BRAND NEW! Dropped in an OEM unit and all power restored!

Again if it says made in China don't waste your time, get a different filter.

DB

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I have a couple Purolator filters out in the garage. They say made in Thailand. Worth eating a few dollars and tossing them? I bought them during a sale a while back. What size in microns is most Fe particles?

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I had the thread asking about WIX filter. Primarily because there was a significant price difference from MANN(OE and aftermarket)/Hengst/Mahle.

While I was curious, I had never actually bought or installed any of the WIX.

I may get them for the gasser mini-van but not my TDI baby.

The bad press of poor quality getting into North America from China is one major reason for me to avoid chinese-factory made.

I will stay with the companies that I know have strict quality control for now, even if I have to pay a little extra cash. Or at least until I can't trust quality control anywhere....

Panurgist

TDI
2005 Golf GLS, Silver, M/T
Nearly all Wix filters sold in the US are made in the US in their own plant. They do have a couple of plants in other countrys ( Poland & Venezuela? ) which are owned and operated by them. Only on a few low volume part #'s do they "buy out". Our TDI filters may very well be one of them. I know the Wix I used in a friends 2005 was made in Poland, what I don't know is whether it was made at their own plant or not. ( I have 2 TDI's and both engines were built in Poland so I don't necessarily see any problem with a Polish made filter ).

Wix also supplys a line of "private label" economy filters not sold under their own name, country of origin varys from part# to part#, I know at least one # is coming from China but most are not. Currently most of these part#'s are still made in the US.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I'm not totally opposed to them. I'm opposed to stuff stamped "Made in China" for the reason of quality control for profit and undercutting. If I were to pick up a WIX filter from the shelf and see another country of origin or USA.... then I may actually purchase them.

However, I have had good history with the MANN aftermarket myself and will probably continue with that line until information passes my way about the quality and reliability.

Again...just going on the bad press that "made in China" has been getting. It's a reminder to look carefully at all items being manufactured - regardless of country of manufacture.

biodemon1956

TDI
none...yet
I recently purchased a WIX fuel filter for my '91 Volvo 240 wagon from the local O'Reilly's. It leaked at one of the connection points and my mechanic could *NOT* get it to stop. After spending considerable time trying to make it work, he finally gave up. At about that time, I got an order of several different Mann filters from germanfilters.com. One was a fuel filter for the Volvo. I took it to my mechanic and he installed it with no problems at all.

I have no idea where the WIX fuel filter was manufactured, but you better believe its my last purchase of a WIX.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I picked up a oil and fuel filters from WIX as spares and have them here. The oil says "Made in Poland" and the fuel says "Made in China".

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Drivbiwire said:
Stick with OEM (Mann), Mann after market, Hengst, Mahle.

If the fuel filter says made in China DO NOT install it! Nearly every one RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX has been defective! Too much restriction, loss of power and BRAND NEW! Dropped in an OEM unit and all power restored!

Again if it says made in China don't waste your time, get a different filter.

DB
FYI, the OEM VW fuel filters that you buy at the dealer are now made in China. Plenty of complaints about those as well.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
dhdenney said:
I have a couple Purolator filters out in the garage. They say made in Thailand. Worth eating a few dollars and tossing them? I bought them during a sale a while back. What size in microns is most Fe particles?
Toss Them! Stick with the OEM product (Made in Germany). They are probably ok for a late 70's Buick.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
That's why I left a blanket statement "made in China" run away! :D

And Yes I have even had problems with The OEM filters made in China...I won't leave the parts counter until I verify country of origin. Always verify by looking at the filter itself, stamped on the side is of it is what you need to verify. The box is not always going to tell you what is inside.

DB

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
I bought a WIX oil filter a few weeks ago at my local parts store.
I looked inside and read made in Poland. Counter man thought I didn't like that. So I informed him the new ones may be made in China. Added I wouldn't buy a made in China Junk filter. With any luck he won't order any.

Mann or Mahle filters are cheaper from on line vendors any way.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Kier said:
Toss Them! Stick with the OEM product (Made in Germany). They are probably ok for a late 70's Buick.
I have some OEMs from Impex but they are made in France. I guess I'll toss the Purolators....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
biodemon1956 said:
Until recently, I would've recommended WIX filters. But a member here asked about WIX in a recent thread. Someone responded that some (all?) WIX filters are now made in China.

Others can do what they want, but thats all I needed to know. No more WIX for me ever again.
I recently received my order of 12 Wix oil filters ($65.36 total including shipping from www.fleetfilter.com ). The end cap says "Made in Poland" just like all the others I've used in the last couple years.

The box says "NAPA Gold" while my previous Wix oil filters were in a plain yellow Wix container.

I have never used Wix fuel filters. They do not carry the deluxe air filter with the foam layer, only the basic paper filter. The NAPA cabin air filters are also plain paper, no charcoal filtering.