Open Recall

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I got a call about an hour ago from the dealership in Lawrence, KS from which I purchased my TDI back in 2015. The service manager said she wanted to inform me about an "open recall" on my car. It was awfully strange because I have never brought my TDI to their dealership for service and maintenance, even while it was under warranty; I have always gone to Topeka, KS.

The service manager wanted me to tell her when I could come in and I wanted to know what the "open recall" was. She said it would only take about a half day. I persisted to find out what the recall was. She said, "It's just an update." I continued to persist for details, and she finally told me it's the Generation 3 (2015) TDI Phase 2. I asked her if she meant they were going to replace some portion of the emissions system, and she confirmed that's what they'd do. I told her, "Not interested."

Why, after four years are they contacting me now, I wonder? Especially after their salesman cussed me out both on the phone and in email like a week after purchasing the car from them.

I am also curious as to what their angle is. It's no benefit to me to get the "fix" done on my vehicle at this point...so why she thought I would do it now is beyond me.

Any thoughts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet they're prompted by VWoA in conjunction with the settlement. They probably have to reach out to customers and make a good faith effort to complete emissions updates. I've received mail on the Phase 2 for my Wagon. Ignored it, of course.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I don't think I've been clear. To my recollection, I have received no correspondence from VW in Lawrence Kansas since about mid-2015. I haven't been there since I bought the car.

The VW dealership in Topeka, KS where I registered for my $1000.00 "goodwill" dollars has not called me, emailed me or mailed me once about the Phase 1 or Phase 2 of the "fix".

It seems extremely odd that VW in Lawrence would contact me. Especially since there's nothing in it for me to get the potentially detrimental work done at this point.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You're over thinking this. Don't assume that there's any logic or consistency to how contact information is stored or used for campaigns.

And "Especially since there's nothing in it for me to get the potentially detrimental work done at this point" is your opinion. And although I agree with you, many drivers would see this as a positive. Free repairs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They sold you the car and they have your name. That's all it takes for them to try to generate business from you. They have no idea where you go or who you use. if you don't want it just ignore it throw it in the trash. I personally would take it to my local servicing dealer and have them do the update. Assuming that you have met the timelines where repair one and repair two are due to be done. If they're early I would hold off until the required time is reached. There may be some caveat that void's warranty if you do not have the fixes completed when they're supposed to be done. If the warranty matters to you I would have them done.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I am probably overthinking this. I am simply very suspicious due to a number of shenanigans that have transpired over the last four years.

Also, while I'm ok not getting the Phase 2 "fix", I also don't see it as a fix. I don't believe there is anything wrong with my car as it is. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just be aware that at some point you (and I, too) will be sacrificing our emissions warranty. I suspect you are aware if this. :)

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear what you're saying. I don't really think I'm sacrificing anything, though...since as I understand the operation of the SCR system in its "cheat" configuration, it shouldn't be cycling all that much...and thereby also, the DPF will be programmed to regen less frequently. I do get the risks of letting things operate infrequently, but also know that this is the configuration in which the test car passed VW's endurance/warranty testing in house. Therefore, I believe that the risk of leaving the car stock is not as likely to cause a problem with the reliability, performance, etc., as getting the Phase 2 "fix" even with the 162K mile/11-year warranty.

rnlorena

TDI
VW Jetta 2.0L TDI
Getting the fix for your VW Jetta

I have a 2011 Jetta 2.0L TDI. I decided to keep my car. I took it to a local auto shop and had them replace a sensor that caused certain lights to go off on the dash. I also said my check engine light was going on and off and it threw two codes. The first one being P0401 which means exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient. The other code was P240F which means exhaust gas recirculation slow response found high soot leads prior tureen can cause restriction in the EGR filter. This shop told me that they found a bulletin that read the ECM needs reprogramming. The bulletin 2034898 supersedes V011411. I have 105,000 miles on my car. It is getting 40+ miles to the gallon. It has great get up and go and I have not noticed any lag or anything with the car. I took it to one dealership and told them I wanted the ECM reprogrammed and the first thing the guy said was I have to find out why the check engine light comes on. Then he said he would have to do the modification because his hands were tied and the government is making him do it. I said no. I then took it to another dealer and told them the same thing. They said they would look at it and that I didn't have to have any recalls done on my car pertaining to the fix. When they were done checking the codes they told me that is was going to be expensive to fix because they were going to replace the EGR valve and filter. I told them I wanted the ECM reprogrammed. I had read that people on this forum had the same problem with check engine light going off and they took it and got it fixed supposedly and after it went back on the road the check engine light came back on. I am not getting anything done because there is nothing wrong with my car. I was told the reprogram would stop the check engine light from coming on so fast. My check engine light is off for now and car not throwing any codes. I wrote a survey of the dealership and got a reply saying the software level 9942 is the highest version for my car and that they have many updates that can be performed but they are associated with part replacement and for the Approved Modification. Neither the EPA nor the NTSA can make you fix your car. If anyone knows about the software level being highest version or any information you could give would be helpful. I don't believe either dealer and I will drive my car into the ground before I let them snow me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If in fact there's nothing wrong with your car and the sensors are working properly then it should not throw any codes or light the CEL, even with the flash the ECU came with from the factory. I suspect you do have a problem. There are lots of possibilities, a cracked EGR filter case, nearly full DPF, failing catalytic converter, injectors not fueling properly, sticky exhaust flap...lots of possibilities. Unfortunately the dealer can't be your repair resource because they are legitimately compelled to install the fix hardware and software. If you don't want that you'll have to find another repair shop.

Tuners can provide you with more recent but pre-fix versions of the ECU flash. I know Rocketchip can do this, at least, he did it for my '15. But you may still find you need repairs.

rnlorena

TDI
VW Jetta 2.0L TDI
I was told that the bulletin that I mentioned in my first post was to fix the problem of the check engine light coming on. I saw where cars were doing that and people went in and got their cars fixed and then when they were back out on the road here comes the check engine light. So the way I understand it the bulletin was to fix that problem. But I was told that my car has the highest software version.(9942) I don't believe anything the dealer says and they only want my money. So where that puts me is between a rock and a hard place. So other than a check engine light and codes I notice nothing wrong with my car. I was told that the dealer is the only one that could do the bulletin. I find it hilarious that two different dealers say two different things. It sounds like they are all pressing for the fix. "I can't say how but I can fix that."