oops! I did it again - back in the TDI game

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
yes this has been covered exhaustively. there is a different 'feel' to this fuel vs Propel HPR, I'm not comparing RD to D2, I'm comparing two different brands of RD. I *really* want to do some dyno pulls to put this topic to bed.
As far as I know, at one time there is only one refinery in CA that was set up to make RD. Unless that has changed, it’s the P66 Refinery in Rodeo.

Reactions: Ton

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I drive by that refinery practically daily. I should go knock on the door and ask. :)

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
in other news, looks like I'll be able to do some dyno pulls with each of the 3 diesel fuels available to me at the pump here in Norcal - HPR, 76 RD, and regular D2. this will be great data for everyone, and will help burpod and I with achieving my tuning goals.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
side note, the 76 RD seems to be delivering better economy than HPR. I'll be filling up again tomorrow (after 500+ miles on this tank) and have a rough number. Of note, I use the cruise control set at 75 (RPM needle at 12:00) for all my long drives.

edit: 41.2 MPG mixed driving

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
side note, the 76 RD seems to be delivering better economy than HPR. I'll be filling up again tomorrow (after 500+ miles on this tank) and have a rough number. Of note, I use the cruise control set at 75 (RPM needle at 12:00) for all my long drives.

edit: 41.2 MPG mixed driving
41.2 MPGs sucks for an ALH. The 3 I’ve had always delivered around 45 MPGs per tank hand calculated. All freeway was 48-50 MPGs.

Since you’re into trying different fuels, try Mobil synergy diesel efficient diesel #2. It’s sold at some Mobil and Exxon stations. It has combustion catalysts and additives pre-mixed at the pump.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
41.2 MPGs sucks for an ALH. The 3 I’ve had always delivered around 45 MPGs per tank hand calculated. All freeway was 48-50 MPGs.

Since you’re into trying different fuels, try Mobil synergy diesel efficient diesel #2. It’s sold at some Mobil and Exxon stations. It has combustion catalysts and additives pre-mixed at the pump.
I will try that fuel as well. Thanks for the tip!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
FYI I have not done the ventectomy on my car yet which I'm sure explains why I'm only getting 500mi / tank. Will do this weekend!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
yay! new trunk struts installed! i no longer worry about tweaking my back out lifting the lid!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Filled my Wagon about an hour ago. 49.0 MPG. Winter here, mixed driving, I try and keep it under 80 on the highway.
it's puzzling why a stock 200k mile ALH manual would get such lower economy than others are claiming. stock tires, 40PSI, original suspension, I'm a mildly spirited driver, and I run the cruise at 75 and my commute is mostly flat, there's a couple small hills to climb from the valley into the bay.

even my 2001 when I got it new wasn't delivering 50MPG. the only time I ever saw 50 was when I drove from Sac to Phoenix and locked it in at 70 the whole way.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I put Falken tires on my car recently and it seems to have improved the fuel economy. I was running some junk BF Goodrich prior to these tires. I'm not trying to slam bf Goodrich just these particular tires seemed to have a ridiculous amount of rolling resistance. Your mileage may vary.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
it's puzzling why a stock 200k mile ALH manual would get such lower economy than others are claiming. stock tires, 40PSI, original suspension, I'm a mildly spirited driver, and I run the cruise at 75 and my commute is mostly flat, there's a couple small hills to climb from the valley into the bay.

even my 2001 when I got it new wasn't delivering 50MPG. the only time I ever saw 50 was when I drove from Sac to Phoenix and locked it in at 70 the whole way.
This may sound whacky, but I think people in the West don't get the FE we get here. I don't know if it's the more arid air, wind, or road design and driving conditions. In SoCal one definitely does more of accelerating to 50 MPH or so and then stopping for yet another traffic light. We have a lot less of that here in New England. I don't see a traffic light driving to work until I get off the highway that takes me to the office.

However, 40 MPG isn't great. Usually it's a bunch of little things in these cars that all add up to lower FE. Mechanical timing not being spot on, turbo actuator not working 100%, issues with the vacuum system, wheel and tire weight, it all adds up.

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i've ran a fair amount of home brewed bio through my diesels and if you are still using renewables expect about a 10% loss on mpg i'd compare it to similar effects we see up here in the north when switching from summer to winter blends of D2. the BTU in the particular fuel spells out the math for mpgs.

i just picked up an alh as well with similar mileage first things on my list is to have the injectors looked over and dialed back in with a set of nozzles and a mild tune. i am noticing better fuel mileage compared to my brm by a few mpg even with winter fuel blends at the moment.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
replacing my N75 valve is on my list, along with a refresh of all the vacuum lines. guess I'll pick thru that stuff and maybe I'll see some incremental improvements. the car is definitely not down on power.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
pierburg N75 valve ordered, I have a huge roll of oem vacuum line (my wife is the best!) so another mini project in a week or so!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
new N75 valve installed - we'll see if it feels any different. the one in there was still functioning, but was obviously original.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
fronts installed, can't do the rears without removing the wheels - will do this week

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
new N75 valve installed - we'll see if it feels any different. the one in there was still functioning, but was obviously original.
I would run the VCDS n75 test for the original vs the Pierburg. I tested my OEM VW/Audi n75 against 2x new Pierburgs and both of them did not match the OEM performance. It had an effect on the tune.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I would run the VCDS n75 test for the original vs the Pierburg. I tested my OEM VW/Audi n75 against 2x new Pierburgs and both of them did not match the OEM performance. It had an effect on the tune.
the butt dyno says the car drives better with the new valve. power delivery seems more linear, definitely not down. thanks for the tip.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
44.4 MPG on RD again, had to get D2 in a pinch. Vented the tank on fillup. Looks like my baseline dyno pulls will be on D2 afterall. We should be able to get to the dyno hopefully late this week.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dangit the stupid spreader pin will not come out of the LR window regulator and I'm afraid if I pull any harder I'll break the regulator itself. so I put the door card back on and said effit.

/ragequit

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
did some logging for Burpod, and discovered that my timing is slightly retarded. going to try to adapt it up a bit first, if that doesn't work then I'll do it physically.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
yeah tried to adapt it but it only came up a couple of degrees. currently at 43, need to bring that up. I'll be doing it physically this week. this might explain my poor(ish) economy.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
my esteemed tech informed me (that I already knew) that my oil drain plug threads were compromised and that the plug, on the way out, delivered the threads with it.

after some figgerin, we put in a timesert.amd ordered a replacement pan.

they put in the timesert, buttoned everything up and we drove to Portland on a wing and a prayer.

here we are, in Portland, no leaks

happy st pats day everyone