oops! I did it again - back in the TDI game

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l ā€œJediā€
my esteemed tech informed me (that I already knew) that my oil drain plug threads were compromised and that the plug, on the way out, delivered the threads with it.
I love the way you worded that šŸ˜‚

Also, itā€™s awesome to see updates on the progress youā€™re making on this car, keep it up man!

Reactions: Ton

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
so the total road trip was 1,500 miles. the car runs so much stronger on Oregon vs California diesel. we got 44MPG with 3 people and a car FILLED with luggage, stuff, and even some car parts (including a mk1 dashboard!)

I wish we got this un-neutered fuel here in California. Oh well.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
ordered a Scangauge 2. I used to have one of these in the 99.5 - it's a great alternative to the chore of getting a FIS cluster and getting it all programmed up. I like having data like this in the GTI, so this was a must. If you're not familiar with these, well worth the 160 bucks.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
so the total road trip was 1,500 miles. the car runs so much stronger on Oregon vs California diesel. we got 44MPG with 3 people and a car FILLED with luggage, stuff, and even some car parts (including a mk1 dashboard!)

I wish we got this un-neutered fuel here in California. Oh well.
Thatā€™s the difference between higher density fuel and greater peak cylinder pressure vs. using high cetane fuels like propel HPR.

Diesel #2 will make more torque and power than the ā€œgreenā€ fuel you love so much while getting better fuel economy.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A few years back, I had a "Stage 3" in my Jetta and a 18psi tune.
Franko6 did the nozzles, btw.
With the cruise set at 75, 4 adults with luggage from Reno, Nv, 52 MPG to Tulsa Ok.
The current nozzles Frank also did, and when I put them in, it felt like I had a new engine.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
headlights arrived! they're very nice. It'll be sweet being able to run H4s as well as now having fogs and clear blinkers vs the orange. I'm debating on leaving the black rings in or putting the chrome back in from mine. either way, the lenses are super clear! time for laminx and a full set of new lamps.

also, the scangauge showed up too! it's like christmas!

I should have the headlights installed in a week or so, need to get everything together just right before I tear the front off the car.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
1.3 hrsprs?? Must be a really buff horse.

I think the GLi style with the black trim will look good, especially since the car is black. I actually like much better than the full Joey mod. Then again, I also prefer the amber lens for the turn signal.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
1.3 hrsprs?? Must be a really buff horse.

I think the GLi style with the black trim will look good, especially since the car is black. I actually like much better than the full Joey mod. Then again, I also prefer the amber lens for the turn signal.
It does go up when you're on the gas. The highest number I saw just buzzing around town was 45. I really want to know how it does the math.

yeah I have the 20th style on my black GTI. I think I'm going to leave em alone. I need to purchase a full set of bulbs, load em up, rip the front of the car off and install em when I get a nice day.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
2 H4s, 2 H3s, 2 blinkers and 2 LEDs for the city lights is like $120 in bulbs! 2/3 the cost of the headlights!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
yeah yeah, but this is way better than usa oem. one of the glare shields is loose, so I'm gonna pop the lenses off and make sure both are gutentite.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
yeah yeah, but this is way better than usa oem. one of the glare shields is loose, so I'm gonna pop the lenses off and make sure both are gutentite.
That could be a symptom of how the reflectors attach to the adjusters. I've seen a lot of them with "play". Or if you're talking about the bulb deflector, that's a different story but if it's off it could throw your light output completely off.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
That could be a symptom of how the reflectors attach to the adjusters. I've seen a lot of them with "play". Or if you're talking about the bulb deflector, that's a different story but if it's off it could throw your light output completely off.
yes it's the bulb deflector. I'm going to try to see if I can get it reattached thru the lamp hole, it takes H4s the orifice is pretty big and I have small hands. be nice to do it without taking them apart.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
yes it's the bulb deflector. I'm going to try to see if I can get it reattached thru the lamp hole, it takes H4s the orifice is pretty big and I have small hands. be nice to do it without taking them apart.
Looks like if you can't get it seat you'll have to do a projector :)

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Looks like if you can't get it seat you'll have to do a projector :)
hahaha don't really want to do that mod, no time, no patience. hopefully I can get it to seat without taking the lens back off. fingers crossed. I'll be ordering bulbs and laminx next week.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l ā€œJediā€
woohoo was able to reach in thru the bulb hole, get the bulb shield reseated, and put a drop of crazy glue on it. we're ready to go!
I had to do this last year, but mine had fallen out and was down against the lens. Fished a piece of wire through the bulb hole to reach it, spot of glue on it then needle nose pliers to seat it back in its home. Should be good.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
interesting development - scored a set of 15" corrado speedline wheels for free, picking up tomorrow. these weigh 5 pounds less per wheel than do the stock Avus wheels. considering going to 215/60-15 tires for some more meat on the road and with the reduced unsprung weight shouldn't see an economy hit but will definitely improve lateral grip. good times!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Those look really nice. Post a pick of them on the car when you get them mounted, please!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Wait. The Avus wheels are among the lightest 15s you can get without going pure forged, at about 15-16 lbs. What do these Corrado wheel weight? If theyā€™re less, very cool. Hope theyā€™re strong!
Responsiveness should increase for sure.