Ontario to issue green plates to fuel-efficient cars

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Ontario would issue green licence plates

Provincial program to encourage eco-friendly behaviour might include restricted access to commuter lanes

Aug 08, 2007 02:44 PM

Canadian Press

Climate-conscious motorists who pilot a Prius or scoot around in a Smart car could find themselves parking for free or passing in the car-pool lane under an aggressive new incentive program unveiled today in Canada’s most polluted province.
By this time next year, provided Ontario’s Liberal government is re-elected in October, Ontario residents who buy environmentally friendly, low-emission cars and trucks would get a green-hued licence plate that entitles them to such possible perks as free parking and access to high-capacity commuter lanes.
The so-called “eco-licence” plate is one of three green transportation policies that the province is hoping will encourage commuters and businesses alike to factor the environment into their spending decisions.
“This is another way of us helping Ontarians go green,” Environment Minister Laurel Broten told a news conference.
“Now we’re saying we’re going to also put some more factors on that table to help you make a decision that’s good for your family and good for the environment.”
Broten said the government will consult with vehicle manufacturers and environmental groups to design a rating system that identifies the cleanest cars, light trucks and commercial vehicles.
Drivers of those vehicles would get the special licence plate, which would entitle them to added rewards. Those incentives haven’t been determined yet and will be chosen during the consultation process, said Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield.
Environmental Defence policy director Aaron Freeman said he’s hopeful the idea will take off across Canada, and suggested that green-plated drivers should also get a break on their annual vehicle registration fees.
The program would have a lot of visual appeal, Freeman said, giving people a way to proudly showcase their commitment to environmental causes and provide peer pressure to motivate others on the highway to go green.
“There is a greatly heightened sense of awareness surrounding environmental issues and it has become, I think, an admirable trait to drive fuel-efficent vehicles and to have visible signs you are environmentally friendly.”
The sight of motorists whizzing past traffic in car-pool lanes and snagging free parking spots in downtown areas could also be a big incentive to influence purchases, he said.
Plus, it would also encourage multi-vehicle families to use their low-emission cars more often and drive their gas-guzzling trucks only when absolutely necessary, Freeman added.
The licence plates are expected to be launched by spring 2008.
The transportation plan also includes a $15-million pilot project to help businesses convert to more environmentally friendly technologies, like hybrid power.
Some of that money will go toward cleaning up 1,000 medium-sized commercial vehicles, which have been identified as bad polluters, Broten said.
The province also plans to beef up its use of cleaner fuel for its own fleet of government vehicles by installing two new ethanol fuelling stations in London, Ont., southwest of Toronto, and Peterborough, an hour’s drive northeast.
The new facilities could also be made available to municipal fleets once they’re operational.
New Democrat critic Peter Tabuns said he was unimpressed by the announcement, which he called “small potatoes given the scope of the problem before us.”
“It’s a pretty minor item — I don’t know if it’d call a press conference over something like this,” he said of the new plate.
“My guess is it would be a very minor impact in terms of people’s decision-making in these matters.”
But Broten said each little action can have a significant, cumulative impact in protecting the environment.
“All of those steps add up, all of those steps count — they give all Ontarians the opportunity to make choices that contribute to a healthier environment.”
Conservative critic Laurie Scott said she has her doubts about the government’s motives, given that they’re announcing the plan in the dying weeks of their four-year mandate.
“They’re asking for consultation and they’ve been here for four years,” Scott said. “It’s ridiculous what have they been doing. They’re holding photo ops for consultations that could’ve happened anytime in the last four years.”
I understand TDIs are not eligible? I want one of those plates.

Hope it's the right forum, or move it to Fuel Efficiency.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
But wait, there's more!!
http://torontoist.com/2007/08/green_plate_par.php
August 8, 2007

Green Plate Parking's For You

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Sales of hybrid cars like the Prius are booming not only because drivers wish to spend less on gas and reduce their emissions, but because they want everyone to know they're driving a hybrid. Today, the Ontario government proposed a plan that might add an additional layer of smugness to your vehicle: a conspicuous green license plate.

If a vehicle met certain specifications of a to-be-determined rating system, the Province would issue the special plate which would then entitle the driver to special perks, like HOV lanes and parking discounts. The program would also apply to commercial vehicles and light trucks that meet the criteria.

Expected to launch by the spring, the green plate plan is part of a new environmental initiative announced today by Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield. The proposal also includes a $15 million pilot project that would help Ontario businesses convert about 1,000 commercial vehicles to "cleaner" technologies, as well as revamping some of Ontario's own fleet of government vehicles to use 85% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) fuel.

Granting perks for cleaner cars has been employed in Virginia, where hybrid drivers can bypass the notorious traffic in and out of Washington, D.C. and zip along in the carpool lane. It has almost worked too well—avoiding traffic was reason enough for motorists to run out and buy a Prius, and the HOV lanes soon became jammed with hybrids, leading the Transportation Department to call for an end to the privilege.

Like the State of Virginia, the Ontario government already offers a tax rebate of up to $2,000 for drivers who use the cleaner vehicles, which helps offset the increased cost to buy or lease them. Sure, many Ontario motorists clamoring for the green plate privilege will be doing it for self-serving reasons, but if it gets people in the habit of buying hybrids, biodiesels, or electrics, we're all for it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's dumb to allow HOV access to anything other than what the lanes were meant for: congestion-reduction. A Prius contributes just as much to congestion and takes the same amount of parking space as anything else.

Given who is behind this, I think you can rest assured that the criteria for getting a green license plate will be useless, and the program will be unconstructive as a whole.

I_KNQW

TDI
gls, 2003, Blue
I would like to know if we fit into this catigory and will it be for new cars only? what happens if we have personal plates?

will they just keep making more and more lanes on our roads; a lane for green cars, lane for HOV, a bike lane, and the right lane for trucks. what is next?

The free parking downtown that will just cause more people to drive to work downtown rather than taking transit or the GO train. how about free passes for people that buy green cars, that will reduce the amount of driving people will do.

what about giving a reduced rate on the 407 I would like that.

I_KNQW

TDI
gls, 2003, Blue
if we get green licence plates don't go to Ohio, down there green licence plates means you are a convicted sex offender.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
HA, this is ture!! Just found this from USA Today...

States may require sex offenders to use special license plates

Lawmakers in three states are pushing bills to require convicted sex offenders to display special license plates on their cars.
Proponents in Wisconsin, Ohio and Alabama say the sex offender plates would be another tool to keep the public safe. Critics say the plates would lead to a false sense of security and unintended consequences.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-01-sex-offender-tags_N.htm

Last edited:

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
Very short sighted. Don't we want all vehicles to be green? They are promoting that driving a green car is an exception, and not the norm.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
OMG I really hope someone in these politicians' offices notices the sex offender thing and does something about it.... Last thing any Ontarian wants is slashed tires when they travel in some states! ;)

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
would a sex offender really want to have a car if your forced to have a special plate? Im not one for vigilante justice but I have kids and if my neighbour shows up with a sex offender plate I think I would do something to make him feel not wanted on my block. Maybe I have been living in Stouffville too long

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd think that a sex offender would register the car under a friend or family member's name, and avoid the green plate

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
GoFaster said:
It's dumb to allow HOV access to anything other than what the lanes were meant for: congestion-reduction. A Prius contributes just as much to congestion and takes the same amount of parking space as anything else.

Given who is behind this, I think you can rest assured that the criteria for getting a green license plate will be useless, and the program will be unconstructive as a whole.
One other interesting tidbit for you that our illustrious LIEberal politicians have passed: A motorcycle also is not allowed in the HOV lanes unless carrying a passenger. So while it takes less space, and less fuel, and is ALWAYS at at least 1/2 of it's total designed passenger compliment, it doesn't qualify.
Maybe others are strict on the fact of car-pool lanes being a wonderful thing, but I personally think that it's dumb not to allow motorcycles in the lane.
Of course, I also believe that it's a good thing how Europe does it with motorcycles: At a red light, all the motorcycles are expected to go up the side and start at the front of the line. They accelerate much faster then a car and this is safer then having them trying to get around slower traffic anyway. And it helps to stop idiots from line-riding between cars down the road.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, us motorcyclists are well aware of Ontario's position regarding motorcycles in the HOV lane. It's inconsistent with HOV lanes in USA, where motorcycles HAVE to be allowed to use it by Federal regulations (and it is this way apparently because a "study" that was supposed to "conclude" that motorcycles should not be allowed in the HOV lanes for "safety" reasons - yes, it was one of those - found that the "safety" advantage was so overwhelmingly in favour of having the motorcycles going with the flow in the HOV lanes rather than stuck in traffic that they had to come to that conclusion).

There are some rumblings of Toronto city council allowing motorcycles to use the HOV lanes that are under their jurisdiction, but the current Ministry of Transport (Donna Cansfield and company) have their thumbs stuck so far up their arses that there's no way it's going to change until this government gets kicked out.

Motorcyclists are also well aware of the benefits of trickling through to the front of stopped traffic and getting away from the cars at traffic lights, but any legal permission to do *that* is not going to happen.

I would be content if the MoT reversed the objectionable clauses of Bill 203 (now part of the Highway Traffic Act). That's a higher priority for me than use of the HOV lanes.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
VDubbing said:
would a sex offender really want to have a car if your forced to have a special plate? Im not one for vigilante justice but I have kids and if my neighbour shows up with a sex offender plate I think I would do something to make him feel not wanted on my block. Maybe I have been living in Stouffville too long
... ... ... ... So you're saying that a green plate will keep the neighbour's kids off my lawn? :D:D:D

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kayakkermit said:
Of course, I also believe that it's a good thing how Europe does it with motorcycles: At a red light, all the motorcycles are expected to go up the side and start at the front of the line.
I don't know where in Europe you're referring to, but I can tell you that in Germany, although that is what they often do, they are NOT allowed to do that legally... I imagine many countries are the same....

Here's a question for you motorcycle people.... What does it mean when you're driving down the highway, and you have two motorcycles glued to your arse, as you weave in and out passing cars in the left lane, then getting back into the right.... Constantly glued to you. And then, when it's time to leave you at their exit, they wave.... Is that motorcycle code for something, or just stupidity on their part? If I for some reason had to slam on the brakes...........

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, all five.... Had they not exited the highway where they did though, it would have been only one, because I was just getting ready to soot them! :D

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Am I the only one who would be furious if "fuel efficient" SUVs are allowed to wear the plates and our TDIs are not? I can imagine this happening as it does in the ecoAUTO program. Most SUVs are often driven around with single occupancy, so, does it make sense that such drivers reap such benefits or treatment? I could see if SUVs were constantly being fully utilized (loaded with 5+ people, gear, luggage, trailer, etc etc), but otherwise it makes little sense to reward the lesser of the evils (SUVs) and not one of the most fuel efficient engines on the road because of some silly anti-diesel conspiracy. If the smart is allowed to wear the plate, so should a pre '08 TDI. The current diesel smart doesn't meet the new emissions (NOx - smog) regs, just as our Jettas don't. This could really annoy the heck out of me. It could become more of a completely meaningless fashion statement than anything else. The concept is a good one, but implementing it effectively will be difficult, to say the least.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sign me up! :D

I'll be really surprised if VW of Canada doesn't lobby to make sure it's included in these rebate programs when the new TDI's come out next year... It's in their own best interest to be included.

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
looking for one :/
That's dumb; I should by all rights be able to get that stupid plate with my antique diesel cuz a) I run it on Biodiesel and b) it's still more efficient than a stupid gasser SUV. :mad:

And as someone else mentioned; don't we want ALL cars to be green and reduce our reliance on them anyway?? All this does is promote the "I'm better than you" attitude and environmentalists will be even more disliked.
Geez. :rolleyes:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
this year's election cam"pain" ought to be interesting: the Liberals are going to run their bus on low sulphur diesel (is there any other kind-idiots!), the Conservatives on a bus powered with bio-diesel (YAY!) and the NDP will run theirs from a hybrid SUV (dumb!). The Green Party leader will use a combination of biodiesel, public transit and bicycle when convenient.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Green plates are finally here!!!

I saw this sign on the side of the 403 today:

Turns out the ONLY vehicle that qualifies is this one:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/ev-vehicle-list.shtml

I already hotly desired a Tesla Roadster... now the government of on Ontario is willing to chip in $8500 an "incentive" to purchase this vehicle! I am going to run out and buy one tommorow... How much do they cost anyway? Only $125,000 ... hmmm

I guess I will have to wait for an a major manufacturer to release a new plug in electric hybrid... (PEHV conversions do not qualify)

Reference: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/ev-green-plates.shtml

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
LOL...a) it's for a short section of highway, b) they need the extra lane to hold all the cars that run out of battery. :) I read a review about a mini-cooper plug-in. Funniest part was that the guy couldn't charge the thing...kept popping his circuit breakers, or system wouldn't charge.

Wish people would stop just looking at what comes out the tailpipe and start looking at the big picture....

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I agree with them taking up less space but anything over 750cc uses a lot more gas than a TDI. Bikes are not fuel efficient at all. Most are around 400lb and use between 7-10l/100km.

TDIDarryl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
If we're trying to save the environment here, why don't we prohibit hybrid vehicles from HOV lanes. They should be in gridlock where they emit less pollutants.

Lets convert the HOV lanes for use by 7 passenger V8 (and larger) vehicles so they're not idling away in traffic.

Surely that would have a greater net benefit on the pollutants released from our highways.

Or is that too much big picture... :D