Ontario consumer protection?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hi Guys (and Silver)

Looking at buying a truck out of Ottawa from a dealer.

What kind of protection do I have if there are any issues with the truck? They're saying that it's been inspected, but I will have to pass a Quebec safety with it, and would much rather they pay for any repairs that might be required.

In Quebec, the legal warranty is 1 month or 1700 kms. I had an issue with my BMW almost on day 1 with it and the dealer paid, no questions asked.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I believe there's nothing offered in Ontario. Also, Ontario cars going through Quebec inspection is extremely strict. I had a hard time bringing a car in to Quebec during university.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I've had good and bad experiences. Brought a cheap Ford Ranger years ago outside of Ottawa and the inspection was incredibly slack.

A family member brought a pickup across a few years ago - had a hell of a time - they caught everything, including things that weren't a problem.

I don't have an issue with the inspection itself - as long as the issues are legit and actually safety related. And as long as someone else is paying for the repairs ;)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The dealer will safety it to the Ontario standards and that's it, the inspection doesn't guarantee anything other than being valid for 36days. If something breaks the next day....tough luck unless you can prove it that the part wasn't going to pass the Ontario safety inspection on the day it was originally inspected by the dealer. You are much better off getting a full pre purchase inspection instead of safety insoection but even that doesn't warranty anything.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
In Ontario it's all about the bill of sale. If there is nothing on the bill of sale about passing the SAAQ inspection, in writing, and signed by both parties, then there is nothing to protect you in the event it does not pass.

The Ontario Safety is only as good as the tech that did the inspection - and if the tech works for the selling dealer... well... he might have incentives to be lenient on the cars they sell.

See if you can get them to agree to passing the SAAQ instead of the Ontario certificate of fitness.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
When I went through Quebec inspection, the car was on a 4 wheel dyno type device to measure braking ability at each corner. Had to be within a certain percent of each other. It was wild. Maybe it's changed since?

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
See if you can get them to agree to passing the SAAQ instead of the Ontario certificate of fitness.
Thanks for this tip - Don't have to worry about this stuff up here!

When I went through Quebec inspection, the car was on a 4 wheel Dino type device to measure braking ability at each corner. Had to be within a certain percent of each other. It was wild. Maybe it's changed since?
I don't think anyone is doing that anymore. Thankfully.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I'm bumping up my own thread - close friends are in the process of purchasing a used Subaru from a GTA area dealer

On the contact, there is a $395.00 Administration fee - is that even legal? There is also a 'Subaru Value Package' for $495.00. I suspect that they're just cash grabs

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Any time I've bought from a dealer, which has been rare, I've fought fees like that. I'm fine to pay a small fee for their trouble of going to the MTO to get plates and registration transfer done, but not $395.00.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
They are all cash grabs. They might as well be titled "extra profit".

I would tell them to stuff the fees and the "value package" or walk to a different Subie dealer.

Of course all of this is moot if they've signed a contract already.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If they've already signed a contract to purchase a car and those charges are on the contract, they are obligated to fulfill their end of the contract - IE paying the price listed for the car / extras / financing.

There is no "cooling off" period for dealer vehicle purchases in Ontario. Nothing in Quebec either.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes it's legal, but is a cash grab disguised as a fee so the buyer would think it's mandatory.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I think they did ok in the end. They convinced the dealer to take off the rust/paint protection, but the strange fees stayed. I checked with OMVIC and the selling price is still below the advertised price (even with the fees) so legally, there was nothing to do.

They're really happy about the thing in the end - Forester XT - should go well - can't wait to give it a kick next time i'm in the GTA

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A least they picked the one with the fun engine. :)