Only problem w/ 15 Golf TDI SEL -The Nav

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
I'm curious to talk to anyone about their experience with the navigation unit in the SEL. It is virtually unusable. I have my own Garmin which I have used in every car I've owned. Even "luxury" ones with great Navs. The Garmin, though not perfect, is very good. And in recdent months I've actually started using WAZE on my iphone the most as that is awesome in terms of routing, traffic, "radar detecting" for cops..etc. I don't expect VW to have all the features of WAZE but I would expect it to at least be usable..I've seen other cars in Europe and states that I've rented that I felt had decent Navs. I expected this one to be at least "OK" but it's not even that. The problems.

1. It's slow. Slow. Slow. Even sing voice command will take you at least 4-5 minutes to get an address in. It takes forever to find an address or POI and it's not very intuitive.
2. Multiple routes are so bad they remind me of being "mapquested" in the early days of web 1.0
3. The whole thing runs off of an SD card. Is this why it is so slow? The dealer plugged in the SD into one of the slots in the glove box and the nav only functions if that is plugged in. Strange.
4. The view/perspective can be pretty tough to read. Even in 3D.
5. The good thing is you can actually use it while driving whereas some Navs have half the features disabled for driver safety.

Am I missing something? Is there a software upgrade? Does it matter which slot the SD card is plugged into? Anyone else have experience or tips?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I haven't really been impressed with any factory nav systems. I'm waiting for a phone cloning head unit so that I can use Waze on the vehicle's head unit rather than a built-in nav system.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Why do people buy factory nav anymore? Probably cause they want the stuff that comes in the package. The nav on most cars sucks. My gar min as you said does all that stuff and better and faster.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I also have a good old Garmin and it works great, so will not be interested in factory navigation. I will be happy with a Golf S two door. Less bells and frills less to go wrong. IMO

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
Navigation Issues

My Nexus 10 is over a year old, it is a near perfect navigation device. I use it in my car all the time. Love the voice directions and it has a very high resolution 10 inch screen. I can even choose the navigation app I want to use.

VW needs to get its act together where navigation is concerned it should no longer be a premium add on. I will be perfectly happy to continue using my Nexus if I get the slightest indication their system is overpriced.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Questions I'd ask about factory Nav b/f ordering:

. who supplies the maps (Navteq?)
. how often are updates available?
. how much do the updates cost?
. how fast are route calculations (and recalculations)?

Never used factory Nav but it looks to me like a Garmin with "lifetime maps" would be a better option.

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
My nav system is slow also. But the biggest complaint for me is that when I have the music loud, the navigation voice does not fade the music enough to be able to hear the voice talking. In my Jeep that was never a problem, the voice would always fade the music so the voice was clearly heard.

Other complaint is that the voice is too computer sounding. My Jeeps Brit was almost realistic!

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
While I can understand some arguments on OEM vs. aftermarket nav, the last thing I want on a new purchase is some "tacked on" add-on with cords/suction cup/vent clip mounts/etc. YMMV

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
It is slow. But so far not that bad. I don't like the distance for zoom and elevation listed in yards. I guess that could be changed in vagcom.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
For most of those OE nav. units, you update them by getting the most recent SD card off Ebay, etc. Or you can pay more getting it from the dealer.

I have always relied on Garmin. They are easy to update, accurate, work with spoken commands (some models), and cheaper than opting for navigation with a new car :)

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I use Google maps and my phone. I have had a factory nav system ONE time (2006 Honda Odessey) and will NEVER do a factory nav again. $200 to update the maps, and the update is over 6months out of date when you get it.

Google maps updates continuously, has real time traffic, and you can add Waze or another app for "Threat Warning".

Buy a Steelie ($30) and mount the low visibility steel mount anywhere on your dash. Phone hangs in place, and you can move it to where you want it (and still charge your phone)

On longer trips I use my 10.1" Galaxy Tablet with Google maps. Big screena nd the same functionality as the phone. Better than any OEM or aftermarket Nav system I have ever used, other than myself...I was a professional navigator in the Air Force for 22 years!

Cheers!

Wayne