Only 35 mpg!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
This tank: 306 mile round trip to camping. All other trips were 7.2 mile work commutes.

448 miles on tank
12.561 gallons
35.66 mpg

Car: 1998 1.9 L gas 4cylinder BMW 318ti

:( I'm only getting Mark 6 tdi-like fuel economy :D:D

No hypermiling at all. All I've done is shift down at every light and keep speeds to no more than 6 mph over limit.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Hehe. Yeah I guess I don't care so much about acceleration. But I'll be honest. I do miss that torque honey. I just don't miss being nickle and dimed to death. I've done:

1.) two oil changes, differential fluid change, both at Jiffy lube type places for $150 (deluxe service)
2.) new wheels/tires (because I wanted them...could have gone 20,000 miles on what was on it); New tires/wheels cost me $960 but I sold the old ones for $525--net cost to me was $435. And I have genuine Volks SSR's which are 10.1 lbs each. These are rarer than a hen with teeth holding a 4 leaf clover on a blue moon night.
3.) new shocks and alignment was $475. The shocks could have gone another 6 months, but I'm kind of picky about shocks. Alignment turned out to be a complete non-issue, so I could have saved that $85.
4.) 2 new O2 sensors cost $195.
5.) one thermostat for $46.
6.) Rear brake job (did it with help of a friend) cost me $200.
In 29,000 miles of driving. I paid $4650 for the car.
7.) Window tint was $325 I think...can't really remember.

If you discount my pickyness and my vanity purchases, this car has been DIRT CHEAP to run. I couldn't ride public transportation for that cheap!

Planned upgrades:

• I want to find and run a hotter thermostat. So far all I can find is the stock 95C one.
  • I want to make or find a winter front.
  • When these tires wear down, I want to put Michelin Pilot Exalto's on.
  • I should change out the MT gearbox lube.
  • It could use a fresh set of headlight lenses.

Last edited: