Only 23 MPG!!!

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
I used my Jetta to pull a Haulmark 5x8 enclosed trailer from our home in NC to our Condo in Florida. The load was a full 3,000 lbs. and I drove an average speed of 68 mph which included cruising at 72 for most of the trip. I obtained my speeds via GPS, not speedometer. On this trip the Jetta drank more fuel than usual, but turned in a respectable 23 MPG. For anyone out there who is considering pulling with your TDI, the car can do the job.

FYI ... on my trip to Chicago sans trailer, we topped 50 mpg in the flat lands of the mid west.

Micke

TDI
Alhambra TDI
I was pleasantly surprised also when first time towing with my TDI.

Did 400 miles with my race car hangin' behind. Trailer load was 3100 lbs, which is maximum allowed for my car (should be a LOT MORE - IMHO)

Average speed was 53 mph and fuel consumption 38 mpg (6.2 l/100km)!!

One reason for the good result is the huge low end torque of the engine. There's no reason to drop below 5th gear unless you're going real slow.

dutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Bora
Drive'n EZ what class hitch do you have under your car? Class I or II. I know (being from Holland myself) that the car can handle more then the 1000lbs it says in the book.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Dutchman, I selected a hitch made by draw-tite. I purchased it at my local U-Haul dealer and installed it myself. The hitch itself is rated at 2,500 lbs, but I had no problems with it.

My personal history includes towing various box like RV's and an Airstream. I've also towed my 26' Nimble sailboat ... This was my first towing experience with the Jetta, and I am super pleased with how smoothly the car drove and how fast it came to speed. I had no trouble keeping up with traffic, either.

I agree that this vehicle can pull more than it is rated. I believe that the vehicle, with a proper frame mounted hitch, is rated to pull the equivalent of 3,000 lbs. in Europe.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You forgot to put helium in the tires, didn't you?

dutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Bora
Drive did you have to drill holes in the body? Did you install the hitch inside the spare tire area?

What kind of receiver do you have the 1 1/4" or the 2"

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
The installation of the Draw-Tite requires 4 holes drilled below the spare tire well. Before I did this, however, I spray painted the hitch assembly with three coats of Rustoleum black industrial paint. The D-T is a 1 1/4" square receiver with riser insert that comes with the unit.

The holes drilled easily and I installed bolt head up so that there would be minimal protrusion into the well. The unit bolts over a frame member on the muffler side, and bolts onto a factory made hole just above the tow ring on the right side. I spent all of 90 minutes on the hitch installation. The DT comes with excellent instructions and all parts required. I believe I used the D-T bolts and spray painted them with a couple coats of black to protect against rust. Sometimes I use Stainless that I purchase at a local hardware store, but I don't think I did that this time.

There are a number of hitch options out there, But I am familiar with the Draw-Tite, their reputation, and my UHaul guy sold it to me for less than I could obtain on the internet after paying for shipping. He also had it next day.

For electric hookup, I attached crimp connectors and located power on the left rear light assembly. Right signal was picked up on other side. I found no problems running this with a 5 to 4 adapter, although some guys use the adapter that pulls power directly from the battery.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jayb79:
Was the the 23 mpg with an auto or manual?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stick shift ... I must admit that I was pro-active in my driving style. This is the fastest I have ever pulled long distance.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MIGOLFGLSTDI:
You forgot to put helium in the tires, didn't you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did run high speed Assymetrical 16" Dunfop SP 5000's and filled them to about 47 lbs. cold. They are max rated to 50 lbs.

GSXR600

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
I usually tow my race bike down to SL City and i am going to Vegas in AUG . If you did not know while i am towing my bike My EGT usually stays in the 800F to 900F Aft of the turbo and my bike only weights with the trailer about 800lbs. If you were towing a car i would thing your turbo would be screeming from the heatload. I also have a tuneing Box but usually leave it off for towing because The EGT gets hot as the sun when asked for a little power. i have seen it as high as 1200F for about 20sec and shut it down to cool. So if your towing a car or something bigger you might want to get a set of gauges EGT,Boost. Just some info

Strack

Veteran Member
Very cool Info indeed. Do you think an A4 can safely pull my boat which is rated at 2700lbs, trailer included ? It would save me quite a bit by skipping the purchase of a SUV.. ALthough driving an SUV is cool, I'd be happy to buy pass the purchase if possible and save the cash!!

Strack

Veteran Member
Very cool Info indeed.

Do you think an A4 can safely pull my boat which is rated at 2700lbs, trailer included ? It would save me quite a bit by skipping the purchase of a SUV.. Although driving an SUV is cool, I'd be happy to by- pass the SUV purchase if possible and save the cash!! Wait, I'd be happy to purchase a TDI SUV.. Did you hear that VW !!

GSXR600

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
As for you boat i would not personally tow 2700LBS with a Jetta. The jetta 1st of all is not advised to tow with.(VW DOES NOT RECOMMEND IT.)You probally could. But my hitch says 2000GVW MAX and No MORE than a 200LBS TOUNG LOAD! Remember this car does not have a frame and you could do some serious damage to the rearend of the car if you overload the rearend or have to brake hard or swerve to miss something as for you endurance of the vechicle Trans, Engine brakes,etc just might cost you a lot in the long run. Just depends how far your traveling and how you drive and how often you pull.
Good luck Let me know how it goes or what you plan to do.