One solution for a leaky oil plug

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
It seems many of the TDI's I own have a leaky oil drain plug (not from my own doing). After trying to repair one with gaskets and the repair plug kits and still having the leak I found another solution that has worked well for me. I clean the area around the drain plug of all the oil residue and apply epoxy type steel/aluminum compound. Something like JB weld will work fine. I cover the plug and extend the glue over onto the pan. When it is time to change the oil I just knock out the glue with a hammer and screw driver. It really comes off well and leaves a clean surface behind. Then, I just reseal it up for another 10,000 miles.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I've had that same leak problem, I just run a bead of RTV around the plug, its quick easy and leak free for 10k miles.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
I have put valves in other cars but the oil pan is so low I am afraid I will snag the valve running over all the dead racoons around here.
I have tried silicone with some success but found it took too long to dry and ended up leaking again. The JB weld stuff dried in about 10 minutes so it seals things up pretty good.
I know teflon tape can work and I have tried that and still had some leaks. But the biggest pain for me is to do an oil change and find things are leaking 2 days latter and I really don't want to take the plug out again.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Do what works for you either way.

Why is it leaking though? There must be a reason.
Do you replace the plug every time you change the oil?
Is there a burr that's causing it to leak?

This is the question that I ask myself when things are weird.
Why is it weird?

Teflon tape takes a bit to seal sometimes.

If you don't use new plugs this can contribute to the issue.
At this point, you've used the metal epoxy and the threads would likely need cleaned before you can try some of the other methods.
Shouldn't be too difficult though.

There's a couple reasons why I get my oil change supplies from IDparts.
I get the plug filter and oil for less than I can usually get the oil locally.
I never had an issue with the plug leaking.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Seal it up and do top-side oil extractions.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
Seal it up and do top-side oil extractions.
Today 06:48 AM
This is the best way but it costs and I keep buying other stuff I need.
I have never had a leak problem with cars I have had with low miles early on and did all the maintenance. The problems have been from high mile cars that I have no clue what was done to them. One car seems like it has a crack around the plug thread as I have put new plugs in, after market repair kits, teflon tape, silicone and the only thing that stopped it was JB weld smeared all over the place.