One Key

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
My daughter just bought an 05 Golf (gasser, sorry). It only has one key, and she is wont to lose things.

She does not have $150-200 to get a second key from the dealer.

Ive been contemplating disassembling her key and epoxying the rfid chip to her steering column and having her get a spare (dumb) key cut, though it seems one can damage the chip trying to remove it.

Any better ideas?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
My daughter just bought an 05 Golf (gasser, sorry). It only has one key, and she is wont to lose things.

She does not have $150-200 to get a second key from the dealer.

Ive been contemplating disassembling her key and epoxying the rfid chip to her steering column and having her get a spare (dumb) key cut, though it seems one can damage the chip trying to remove it.

Any better ideas?
It is very risky to try remove rfid chip form original key, They glues very good and 99% of the time they brake , then you end up in no start situation.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Get a spare empty fob shell for $10-20, transfer the key blade and remote circuit to the new one, leave the rfid in the old fob shell, and glue/tape/velcro that whole piece to the column. No muss, no fuss, no broken glass.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
As far as removing the little pill-shaped RFID chip, if you soak that section in nail polish remover, it will pop out pretty easily.

As far as getting a 2nd key, you can probably do it for way less. A new uncut fob can be found for $15-35. With some free command line software mentioned here on the forums, the free version of VCDS and the appropriate aftermarket OBD-2 cable (another $10-20,) you get the SKC/PIN and do the pairing. Getting the key cut would be an extra expense of maybe another $30.

Is a total cost of $30-80 more realistic?

A place like tunemyeuro.com has a lot more info and may offer easier options too for a bit more money, but still less than $150-200. A fully cut key from them is $78, and they can rent you a tool called VagTacho that is an OBD-2 cable + GUI app that can both get the SKC and pair the keys. It's $25 to rent, though they need a $500 refundable deposit which could be a problem.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
The other thing you can do is to purchase a key finder to attach to the key. It may help in a bind if the key is lost it will be traceable from your phone.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
All good ideas/thoughts.

I have a (borrowed) VCDS, but I am not computer savvy enough to use Gemenuous' program to retrieve the SKC.

I must have at least one old flip key lying around from an old A4/B5 car that I could use. I am leaning toward swapping her blade and remote guts into a different fob, and using a dremel to remove as much plastic from around the RFID chip as possible and epoxying that on the column. This way she could get a dumb key cut for pretty cheap as a spare.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I bought vagtacho from sidewinder keys with a replacement key that was cut with a picture. I've programmed several other cars with it since. You can rent one from tunemyeuro.

Another option is deleting the IMMO from that ECU but I'm guessing that's also out of her budget.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
FIRST take a good picture of the key blade, both sides!!
I think you can have a basic IMMO delete for around/under $100.
Then either get a replacement blade cut from 1 of the online places around/under $50, or try local locksmith.
Of course if you/her are worried someone will steal the car, it's going to cost more.

Good thing she didn't buy a newer car, replacement keys/fobs are significantly more expensive.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Couple more thoughts:
Remove the lower steering column cover and glue the RFID capsule near the ignition where it's out of sight and no danger of breaking, stolen or lost. As noted above soaking it out using nail polish remover is doable and pretty safe: use a plastic toothpick and if it doesn't come loose easily pour on more remover and let it soak longer. IIRC it took me about 30-40 minutes to work it loose.
OR: Go to fixmyvw.com, they make keys and you can rent a VAG-Tacho to program the IMMO and remote functions for a new key or 2 without compromising the original key for far less than the dealer. They also make Valet keys, which are fine for a MK4 unless remote unlocking is required.

Good luck, keep us posted!