On the hunt - 15’ A3 TDI

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Hey friends,

My 02 Golf TDI literally went full dead pedal twice yesterday on the hiway causing a quick traffic jam and scaring the hell out of me. Hazards on, waving arm, had to turn off/on and gun it to get over with folks driving 70 here in Denver. I thought I fixed that issue but it was the last time she’s my DD.

Ive decided I am going to move into a 15 P+ A3 TDI which looks awesome! I’ve never had that motor but I have had an S3 when they first came out. This would be my 5th TDI overall but not in this combination. I came across this one locally:

A3 TDI - Denver

Besides routine maintenance, any advice for picking up this model or things to look out for? I’ll be looking at this one today/tomorrow and if all checks out, writing the check next week.

Edit: fixed issue on Golf, damn wiring but got it. Still in market for new one.

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
So this particular model...wow. I am glad I saw it in person. So much hail damage, broken glass panel that sits in front of the power sunroof, oil sensor light not reading correctly, light bulb indicator on, needs an alignment...I could not tell you what else.

Overall, loved the ride feel and the car but not this one.

I mentioned all of this and they did drop the price a full $1,500 down to $15,000 not including taxes. Thoughts from anyone?

Last edited:

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
That's going to take a lot more than $1500 to fix. Not worth it.
How rare are that generation A3's with the TDI?

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I absolutely agree. We decided to stay away from this particular one even with the price reduction.

The quote for repairing the hail damage out of pocket was $1,600 plus tax by itself.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Good choice. I found my 13 titanium s-line online and bought it sight unseen due to the rarity of the trim and low mileage.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Good choice. I found my 13 titanium s-line online and bought it sight unseen due to the rarity of the trim and low mileage.
I have done the same thing and thank you! I haven’t seen the car but it’s coming from Lousiville KY. It was from David who was selling it in the sell section of the forum.

Maintenance is on point, under 70k miles overall rarity, tasteful extras. Didn’t even bock at the price, was happy to pay asking. Now starts the long long week of waiting for it to arrive to Colorado.

alpine4

TDI
2012 Audi A3
You get your A3? How do you like it? I have 2012 A3 and love it. I do only get 36-38 mpg with sticky Michelin tires. About to install Koni red suspension should make for a sportier feel. I would suggest don’t tune it till your warranty expires.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
You get your A3? How do you like it? I have 2012 A3 and love it. I do only get 36-38 mpg with sticky Michelin tires. About to install Koni red suspension should make for a sportier feel. I would suggest don’t tune it till your warranty expires.
I absolutely did and I love it! I’m so happy I found it in black with the titanium package(full black interior and suede inserts on seats) and I just hit 70k miles on it. For a 9 year old car, it’s surprisingly smooth and it is by the most planted 2.0 TDI I’ve had/driven.

The previous owner did have a Rocketchip with DSG tune installed this past March so no going back from there. On the look out for a catless downpipe just for fun really.

Your upcoming Koni suspension should make it an awesome ride too!