On the comeback trail … Report says Volkswagen may lose $1 billion in U.S. in 2014

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Starting with the 2010 Ford Transit Connect, VW should have seen and taken advantage of the small hauling van market (both people and packages) and marketed a TDI version. Then chase AWD's. A truck to compete with the Toyota Tacoma, and something to compete with Subaru. All TDI's.

With those few products VW would have established itself where they still desperately need to be. In areas in the NA marketplace that are going to grow in the coming years. The EPA isn't going to rewrite the rules on MPG that they have already put in place FOR YEARS NOW. Get the MPG up and do it with something that makes gassers blush. TDI = torque. They should have made a unified message out there getting that point across! People still buy horse power, but what they really want is torque! Getting people to say that changes the market, similar to the word Tesla. Put the TDI in a medium weight van-UV, and Volkswagen would mop up a lot of market share!

Last edited:

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
VW also has a stigma of bad electrics.. I keep hearing that from a lot of people. Heard bad horror stories too.. people that got totally turned off VW because of their MK3 ordeals.

I try to push TDI to some.. I've convinced a few to buy TDIs. 2 so far. Working on one more.. just got a "sales" job on the Quebec side. He'll be driving a lot.. I keep pushing my fuel mileage on him, and he's really interested. That, and the comfort - He's a big lad like me.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Starting with the 2010 Ford Transit Connect, VW should have seen and taken advantage of the small hauling van market (both people and packages) and marketed a TDI version. Then chase AWD's. A truck to compete with the Toyota Tacoma, and something to compete with Subaru. All TDI's.
^^Yep. I know my wife would have bought a VW TDI instead of her Outback if there had been a VW alternative. Now she's lost to the Subie world & says she'll never drive anything else. You blew it VW. :rolleyes:

cottageclown

TDI
Jetta TDI Premium
We had 5 desires for a new vehicle; Diesel, Manual Tranny, Four or AWD, SUV, less than 35k. We thought for sure the Tiguan would be the car. Alas...not available in Diesel (I think) and manual tranny. The Jeep Cherokee was attractive but over 42k, the Toureg started at 44k. After many disappointments and soul searching we decided we would settle for the Jetta. Though the Jetta is fun to drive, I still am not wholey satisfied. I hate that I have to spend a few hundred and aggravation to turn off the door lock beep and the hill assist (the dealer said it cant be done. more like they wont do it). I despise idiot lights. and who would have thought that any car was made without an accessory position on the ignition. ***

Had VW had the balls to enter the N. American market with the Amarok, we probably would have bought it.

I don't think the car companies (any of em) are producing what people want. Just what they want you to have.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Why the key accessory? The radio works w/o the key. The windows have a 20min delay or something. The lights are on switches.. what else would you need/want an accessory on the ignition for?

That hill assist.. kinda neat, but again, dumbs down today's driver. Silver spooned entitle idiots the next generation is I think somedays...

And you can have what YOU want to have - You gotta build it, pay to have it built, or import it :) Just costs MORE. Never off the shelf. Always tinkering. Always reading TDICLUB.com hehehe

gopher

VW to lose $1 billion this year

With diesel fuel costing 20-30% more than regular unleaded in the U.S. and the TDI costing more than the gas model it is not enough to sell a TDI with only slighter better EPA ratings than some competing gasoline models -even though we know diesels can readily achieve or exceed the EPA figures and gas models usually underachieve-. VW needs to bury the Prius by importing their blue motion models with the 1.6L diesel engine that can achieve an EPA rating in the 50-60 mpg highway range. What about doing something with the XL1/XL2 with its astonomical mpg figures of over 170, what could be better hype for the company. I am familiar with the need to federalize to meet U.S. standards but VW should engineer all European models to meet our standards. Finally, VW needs to be more aggressive with light/medium duty trucks and SUVs. There is nothing wrong with VW quality from my point of view: with meticulous maintenance my 2005.5 TDI has 410,000 miles runs like new and the only major problems were a new cam and flywheel 70,000 miles ago, and I am a loyal VW fan having purchased 6 new TDIs since 2001, and I hate to see this diesel friendly company having troubles in the U.S.

cottageclown

TDI
Jetta TDI Premium
My ignition has 2 positions, on and off. when in the off position nothing works. when in the on position everything is on including the daytime driving lights. once a week I pick my kids up from school it would be nice to have an accessory position. In addition to the Jetta I have a 2012 Ram with a Cummins. In the truck I can decide whether I want the key fob to open all doors or just the drivers. Turn on or off the door lock beep, the hill assist, how long power stays on after ignition turn off, choose to display engine temp..etc. Best part I did not have to pay extra for it or buy programming hardware/software. Maybe I was spoiled. But I love the fuel mpg the Jetta gets.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
VAG cares more about Audi than they do VW in our market.

They have given Audi a more complete product line....

and.... for VW.... they made an effort to stay not competitive in their target market.

VW management barely puts an effort..... their product cycles is too long for the American market. If they want to milk out a chassis for a long time for what is supposed to be their target market, then they need to thrown in a reskin also.... similar to the B5 to B5.5....

A Highlander competitor would help, but they are way too late.

If only VW puts in as much effort as Hyundai/Kia. They have achieved the growth VW wishes for.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If only VW puts in as much effort as Hyundai/Kia. They have achieved the growth VW wishes for.
We recently returned from a pan-Central-American cruise with several land excursions. I was amazed at the number of Hyundais and Kias on the streets. Perhaps only Toyotas were more numerous. Not old wheezer Excels, either; current models. Toyota should be nervous.

Hyundai/Kia seem to get it. I have seen that they actively listen to their buyers. Their cars are improved every year based on that feedback; they don't save over a 6-7 year model generation. And, unlike VW, I don't get the sense from H/K that they are dumbing down their product for North America. VW should spend more time watching how H/K work than eyeing Toyota.

Ob TDI content: our tour bus in Costa Rica was a TDI-powered bus. I didn't have time to ask about which engine (if the driver even knew). But it managed to get the 26 souls on board up Costa Rica's mountains with the A/C on, though he had to downshift a few times (click to enlarge).