OMI & other TIPs, what do we like?

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
99, white,2 door golf and 98, white, Jetta
I have seen the infamous OMI on many TDIs and wondered how people like it. Also i was wondering how it compares to a stock PD130 inlet, and see how people like the PD130 pipe. Input on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

KROUT

persona non grata
I have the pd 130 air intake to turbo. I didn't even notice a difference I also installed the PD intake did notice a reduction in smoke with the whole intake but I don't think its worth what you have to pay.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well does anyone know how i would go about getting an OMI??? Also does anyone eles have thoughts or opinions about inlet pipes for TDI's in general?

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
ak47tdi said:
Well does anyone know how i would go about getting an OMI??? Also does anyone eles have thoughts or opinions about inlet pipes for TDI's in general?
Not sure about any others, but I think they've been discussed before.

As for OMIs, contact BLUBYU on this board. There's a thread over in the "Vendor/Group Buy" forum about a "winter OMI sale". I just posted an inquiry about what's in stock, so hopefully the thread will be updated shortly.

Mike

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have an OMI in my '02. I put it in originally to help reduce the smoke that came with the Upsolute chip. It did seem to help. No power gains to mention, however. I do think the PD 130 or 150 intake would provide similar results.

FWIW, I find that with the OMI and a 2.5" exhaust my car seems to smoke less than cars with similar mods (RC3, PP520s).

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
The need to use a rubber spacer around the turbo inlet to allow the rubber elbow to fit always makes me think the OMI is a half truth. If a reducing elbow could be used, I think it may benefit, but as it is now, I'd rather be stock.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I don't like the thought of the rubber spacer myself-- however overall, I'm pretty satisfied. It might be me... but with stock everything... with the OMI to do feel a little more urgency when I rev past 3500 rpms....

But it's definitely better than that convuloted thing of the stock inlet pip

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i geuss that there are some different opinons on the effectivness of different inlet pipes on a TDI, but i'd still like to get one before i dyno my car.:) Thanks for everyones input so far.

4vdubs

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2003, Silver
It may be snake oil, but you can hear the turbo so much better with the OMI. Makes my ears happy!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
4vdubs said:
It may be snake oil, but you can hear the turbo so much better with the OMI. Makes my ears happy!
You are probably hearing the air as it makes an abrupt and turbulent 90 degree transition at the edge of the turbo inlet...... :rolleyes:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
It's really the lesser of 2 evils... I don't like the step--- but I really don't like the stock TIP.

Ideally, I would approach it one of 2 ways:
1. At the top, at the straight, a slow taper down to the Turbo inlet diameter (this causes a minimal pressure drop) and the rest of the tubing at the that diameter- The tapered section is pricey to make.

2. Velocity stack at the turbo inlet... not enough room.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I think I will start offering a turbo inlet pipe soon. Stay tuned.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
What would stop someone from getting a peice of rubber hose the same diameter and thickness, and just cut a longer section (than the one supplied with the OMI) and take a razor and cut it along the inside edge (bevel it) so it transitions to the turbo better? Anyone follow?:confused:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
The OMI elbow begins too close to the turbo inlet to allow a transitional spacer.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
oldpoopie said:
The OMI elbow begins too close to the turbo inlet to allow a transitional spacer.
Yes it yes, and if you noticed, there is a smaller pipe welded in there to start getting the reduction.

The PD130 pipe does a better job of matching the turbo inlet-- since the reductions are cast

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
20IndigoBlue02 said:
Still better than the OEM ALH intake though

The OEM ALH intake was designed by people with aerodynamics engineering degrees and experience. Looks can be deceiving.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
nicklockard said:
The OEM ALH intake was designed by people with aerodynamics engineering degrees and experience. Looks can be deceiving.
With your statement-- you can apply that for all mods done to our cars.

Apparently the VW enginers forgot the basic fundamentals for design for fluids... because the ALH pipe has too many turns and geometry changes.

BLUBYU

Veteran Member
wow oldpoopie you really live up to that name. Why dont you really tell me how you feel. I like how you call it a hack job yet you dont know how many designs i built and how many hours i tested this pipe on my car along with a few others in the area and then in other states before offering for sale. I have made in the past pipes that had a reducing elbow 2-1/4 to 1-3/4 or had a 1 3/4" elbow going to the turbo. After having people test themselves and report back to me and testing on my car we decided that the design i sell was the one that worked best. Heck its the same as what the stock pd150 has so does that mean something vw produces is snake oil? There is no need for a flow bench i have posted volumetric differences between the stock inlet pipe and the OMI and it came out to almost 20 cu.in difference. I dont understand why every 3 months or so when someone new asks about my product that it has to get bashed with the same petty stuff that is completely biased in opinion and has no substance behind it. If you dont think it works or is snake oil then prove it since you know how to. I would love to see the data

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
blubyu, I wasnt saying that the metal pipe is a hack job, rather the abrupt transition at the turbo inlet. I find it hard to believe that the vw engineers who made the pd150 use a rubber spacer to allow a larger hose diameter to fit on the turbo inlet. I OWN an OMI, and had it fitted to my car for a while. I didnt see a noticable difference. I tried for quite some time to find a rubber elbow that would allow for the 90degree turn and reduction, but cost was too high to warrant experementation. If it was sold that way to begin with, great. Its not, and its my opinion that it doesnt work.
The bottom line is that air, moving at high speed, does not enjoy making two 90degree turns to get where its going. Its not up to me to provide data for your product. Thats up to you. This is a forum where anyone is free, within reason, to state their opinion. I'm not on a crusade to put you out of buisiness. I do however state my opinion when asked. I dont feel thats unreasonable.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I don't own an OMI, but I was there when we did real-world testing on vehicles in Texas, and we had some pretty obvious video and eyewitness accounts that showed reductions in smoke on non-stock vehicles, and possibly stock, I have slept since then. I believe many people found the reduction in smoke to be noticable on their vehicles, and I think one can conclude that reducing smoke during the combustion process contributes to some better performance by the motor. I don't recall any outlandish claims being made other than what was shown on Fred's. I'm just sorry an OMI for an A3 couldn't get made, cause mine smokes, snicker. :cool: To be honest, I don't know how it is being marketed now, but when it first came out I don't think anyone was under false assumptions about it, and I'd still buy one...just looking at the tortured pipe on an A3 should be reason enough to conclude German engineers aren't all Einsteins.

KROUT

persona non grata
I dont have an OMI but I have a pd130 pipe and I did see a reduction in smoke but thats all I gained.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Anything is better than the convoluted factory intake.

Remember, it was designed to support 90 hp. The factory design is more than adequate for that. I think it was designed with packaging in mind first, noise second, and performance third.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
KERMA said:
Anything is better than the convoluted factory intake.

Remember, it was designed to support 90 hp. The factory design is more than adequate for that. I think it was designed with packaging in mind first, noise second, and performance third.
Excellent point, thats why i've found someone on the forum selling an OMI and it's shipping out tomorrow. Thanks for everyones opinions.:eek: