Omaha, NE chat thread

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Get in touch with coolairvw here on the forums. He is by Kansas City, MO and works on transmissions along with TDI's.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben,

Got Justin (Trinny here on the forums) to do the conversion. He's actually within 20 miles of the car and had eyes on it today. I did find out my mother wasn't joking or over exaggerating. The transmission really was sitting in the trunk. It also never should have been transported the way it was as the engine was off it's mount and basically held up by the power steering lines and some electrical.

Right now looking for a donor car between here and Ohio so we can get it done. Extremely sad as the car was driven into the shop. Shop was informed exactly what it was doing (had to warm up in order to not have a sluggish shift from 1st to 2nd and then drove beautifully there after along with the engine light intermittent pointing to the solenoid). Shop ignored everything they were told. Shop ended up telling my mother (a woman on the later side of 60) that they needed to tear the transmission apart in order to diagnose the issue rather than actually checking what symptoms matched up with (solenoid). 1k later (they also demanded cash rather than taking any of their other payment options of check or card) and as far as my mother has been informed (itemized receipt) they never touched the solenoid or ran the engine code it was throwing.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
I got a set of OEM wheels for winter and I will have a set of steel wheels for $75 dls including TPS sensors for sale soon.

I will post pictures after I got the tires off.

MrRogers, the tires sale ended last month, sorry.

I'm thinking to trade the JSW, wife is not really looking forward to do the upgrade, we'll see.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
What year JSW you gonna sell/ trade Jettawolfs98?
our JSW is a 2013 JSW DSG and Pano RED with tan interiors. 25k miles.

But all depends after my wife test drive the beetle and a tiguan.

wheels are no longer available, MrRogers got it.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
our JSW is a 2013 JSW DSG and Pano RED with tan interiors. 25k miles.

But all depends after my wife test drive the beetle and a tiguan.

wheels are no longer available, MrRogers got it.
Thanks man!

If any of you are thinking about aftermarket radio, we installed a Pioneer app radio in one of Jettawolfs and man, it looks like it was from the factory. It looks VERY good in our dashes. ??

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
it looks great, still need to read more here is a picture. Thank You MrRogers.

mkv tdi

vmb

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
That looks pretty sweet. Been thinking about getting an aftermarket radio myself, ill check out a pioneer one.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
the model is sph-da210, works great, that model is not for sale anymore but this was a used unit.

mkv tdi

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
i have a 2008 mkv r32 steering wheel and i'm searching to see if i can use it.

mkv tdi

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
Tdi newbie from Lincoln rather glad to see there are some local people around me. I'm picking up a 01 tdi golf Monday I will probably be asking lots of dumb questions

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi newbie from Lincoln rather glad to see there are some local people around me. I'm picking up a 01 tdi golf Monday I will probably be asking lots of dumb questions
Welcome to the club!

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
So first couple questions from what I have been told there is a code that always pops up it has to do with the egr delete that has been done is this normal or can I get it to clear. He has also told me it's gonna need tires soon I'm looking for a set of good all season tires that will last

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So first couple questions from what I have been told there is a code that always pops up it has to do with the egr delete that has been done is this normal or can I get it to clear. He has also told me it's gonna need tires soon I'm looking for a set of good all season tires that will last
Gonna need more information on the code, there are thousands of codes. :)

As for tires, I'm a fan of Continental tires. The Conti-Pure Contacts are great all season and are LRR so they will help with mileage and should last through the guaranteed mile mark.

twistedcricket

TDI
No TDIs
got my goodwill visa cards today haha Christmas shop is here haha

mkv tdi
I was the 10th person to stop at one of the local dealers before noon today. The guy said the website is "slow" so he took my info and said he'd call when everything was activated.

Still no call yet.

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
Well I took ownership of a 2001 golf tdi last night she's rather young and spry at 274k so far I am very impressed with it thing sure zips around. I would post pictures but can't figure out how to upload them from my iPhone.

Does everyone else's car automatically lock randomly with or with out the key in it?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I took ownership of a 2001 golf tdi last night she's rather young and spry at 274k so far I am very impressed with it thing sure zips around. I would post pictures but can't figure out how to upload them from my iPhone.

Does everyone else's car automatically lock randomly with or with out the key in it?
Welcome to the Club and no on surprise door locking, that would suck! :eek:

vmb

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
mine doesn't seem to lock on its own. just when accelerating some. safety features and all.

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
ok local guys what is everyone using for fuel additives anti gel and such buddy i bought the car from swears by howes so i picked some up but from reading on here vw's seem to love curtain stuff figure i would ask the guys that are in the same environment as me.

and is there anyone near lincoln/omaha that has a vcds that would be willing to go over my car

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
ok local guys what is everyone using for fuel additives anti gel and such buddy i bought the car from swears by howes so i picked some up but from reading on here vw's seem to love curtain stuff figure i would ask the guys that are in the same environment as me.

and is there anyone near lincoln/omaha that has a vcds that would be willing to go over my car

Congrats on your new purchase. Here is the best advice you could take for keeping your tdi running always in below zero temps.

1) keep your fuel level in tank above at least 1/4, ideally 1/2 to minimize condensation build up. Also if you run down tank till empty (ligth on) fill up and driver for few miles to let fresh fuel mix up with old fuel to dilute water from hot/cold fuel condensation. If you fill up and park it in few mins for overnight, next morning in Temps -10-15F you will have gelling issue.

2) make sure car has Proper size and good condition battery, interstate batteries are excellent choice and have proper AH rating. As well good strong stater that doesn't draw too much amps or dragging.

3) make sure glow plugs are fully working and engine have great compression.

4) Always in fall install new OEM (mann, hengst, meyle) fuel filter to prevent any moisture accumulated over the summer/spring cool temps.

5) use #2 diesel no need to use #1 (its to dry and will cause more wear on IP. Also make sure the time is set correctly more on advanced side.

With this all said your tdi will run strong and start each time when temps are below freezing and all your buddies with their diesel trucks stuck on side of road.

I've used this technique over last 10yrs and in last 8yrs of driving my Golf TDI ALH I've managed only twice to be stuck with gelled up fuel due to not following above mentioned step 1. Also I hardly ever used any fuel additives in winter.

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
I have been keeping it above 1/2 tank not hard because the gauge seems to never move and I make it about 2 weeks on that can't wait until February so I can stretch he legs out in a real trip down to Texas for a truck show.

I have thought of doing the diesel purge just to make sure the nozzles are nice and clean but I just changed the oil last week would it hurt the oil to do it?

JERKYBOYXIII

TDI
2010 jetta, 2014 jetta
FNG here

Im in Omaha, and I recently bought a second TDI. I really like these things! I am having problems finding which fuel filter to order for my wife's 2010 Jetta. Any suggestions? Additionally, I will be taking hers to Cordel Foreign Auto this week for DSG filter and fluid change. It has 51,xxx on the odometer.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Im in Omaha, and I recently bought a second TDI. I really like these things! I am having problems finding which fuel filter to order for my wife's 2010 Jetta. Any suggestions? Additionally, I will be taking hers to Cordel Foreign Auto this week for DSG filter and fluid change. It has 51,xxx on the odometer.
Welcome to the club!

We usually get filters from BORA Parts (order for kits with all filters) or you can get one from VW. You will need either a 1 hole or 2 hole and while your VIN will tell VW which you need, you can tell your self, from looking at the top of your filter housing. If you have a "star" shaped lid you have a 2 hole and if it's a "round" edged lid, it's a 1 hole.

I wouldn't spend money to order a single filter, just run to VW, maybe even spend some of that goodwill money on it. :)

JERKYBOYXIII

TDI
2010 jetta, 2014 jetta
Thank you. Any ideas on how to turn off my traction control? My wife's 10 has a on/off button, but my 14 doesn't...

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. Any ideas on how to turn off my traction control? My wife's 10 has a on/off button, but my 14 doesn't...
From what I can tell, you have to pull the under hood fuse which isn't advisable as it will kill ABS, ESC and TC. Why are you turning it off? Nebraska winters have never slowed me down, (I drove slow anyhow). I've only been stuck once and that was in front of the house where there was actually NO ground clearance. Cleared path and I was on my way.

Does the wife's have the ESP button or a TC button as well? Here is ESP (which combines the 3 techs) in action if you've never seen it
https://youtu.be/HTe3s1tQA4w

*Check your PM's :)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Yes you can add ESP button just lIke your 2010 Jetta, go on USPmotorsports.com they have a kit to install esp button. It's simply a OEM button and wire that runs to ebs pump and other 2 are ground and power supply.

JERKYBOYXIII

TDI
2010 jetta, 2014 jetta
It just frustrates the chit outta me to hit the gas and have no response because my skid light is on.
My wife's has the ESP button, mine doesn't.