Oldpoopie Rocky Mountain TB/Wrenching GTG April 2009

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
So the long awaited GTG is finally here. Justin (Oldpoopie) has agreed to come down and do wrenching at a GTG for us. Other work will be at his discretion so please contact him for options. There are very few trustworthy locations for having a TB done in this area, so we need to take advantage of this opportunity. The dates are April 19th and 20th, as he only has Sundays and Mondays off. If we get enough work he has agreed to take Saturday off, which means we'd have the 18th-20th available for work. We need to have a firm signup sheet; Justin says he likes to use BleachedBora's parts, so we'll be in contact with him for hooking us up. I'm sure he could do Alligator tunes if anyone needed them...

Pricing for TB kits is as follows:

ALH with BB's Deluxe TB kit ---> $595 installed
1Z/AHU with BB's "Oldpoopie Deluxe" 60k TB kit ---> $395 installed
Other TB kits: Please contact Oldpoopie

Things like tensioner pulleys, harmonic dampners, lifters, and the like are available for additional charges.

If people need anything from suspension, clutch kits, oil, filters etc... they can contact BB and he'll be sure to bring it.

The location of the GTG is:

1111W 60S
Tooele UT 84074

It's heated, and has a nice large shop area as well as a big parking lot. Right now we'll plan on a BBQ on Sunday, but I am sure most of you would prefer we did that on a Saturday. If we can get enough people for Justin to come out on Saturday too then we'll do it that way.

Seriously, if you are not able to come then find someone to bring your car, people drive 1000 miles to have Justin do work on their car all the time; we're expecting people from Colorado to Arizona to come up for this.

Please contact either Aaron (Bleachedbora) or Justin (Oldpoopie) for parts and work. Please also post or PM me with your screen name, first name, work needed, parts needed and how many you plan on having attend (for our food arrangements). If somone can help coordinate with food that would be very appreciated.

Oh, and my birthday is on the 20th! Looking forward to a great GTG!

Last edited:

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
Well I'll be first on the list. Put me down for 2. I don't need anything done though. I want to get ideas from other peoples cars. How many people so far are going?

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Sorry Egibbys I guess is should clarify, if I didn't above. SIGN UP HERE!

1) Egibbys - 2
2) Vertaqua - 1

Egibbys, don't forget to tell all your friends about this G2G for anything. All 11+!

azztek

TDI
2003 Jetta
I will be there on Monday April 20th. I hope somebody is doing a TB change on that day. I want to get my hands dirty and learn so I can do my own. What time will we be getting started? I would like to purchase a deluxe TB kit with a brass water pump (I think, if thats the recommended way to go) I do not need a serp belt as I just changed that, but I do need the idler roller for the accessory belt. I also need the cabin filter.

ahardy4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I'm down for Monday, it'll probably just be me. What time are the festivities commencing on Monday and do I need to bring anything?

Thanks,
Abram

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
Is most of the work going to be done outside or in the shop? How many cars can fit in the shop? I think I might do an intake cleaning to keep myself busy.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
1) Egibbys - 2
2) Vertaqua - 1
3) azztek - 1 - Deluxe TB Kit, Brass WP, Cabin filter
4) ahardy4 -

Azztek, go delux, go brass. I'm doing my TB and pulling out the stops. Better to have quality reliable stuff then spend over a grand to do head work.

The itinerary will be determined once we have enough signed up for Justin to for sure come out. There will be food, of course, and probably a few drives around the block or around the country side. At least i'd be down for that if anyone else is. Egibbys the facility is indoors and quite large so no worries on space. After my TB ill be looking for things to do too so i'll probably aim my HIDs and do an oil/fuel filter change so i'd wander over and help you with your intake as well. How are your interested friends coming along? should I add them to the list?

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
Well I threw it out there to my friends but only one seemed interested. Then he goes off about how he wants warranties with his work if something were to go wrong. I just think he's nuts letting this opportunity go by. He needs his TB done, but there is no convincing him. So I may be friendless for this besides my girlfriend for one of the days. Sorry I couldn't get more people out.

I can't believe there are only 4 people on the list so far. Come on Utah!

Jacob G

Veteran Member
TDI
04 TDI Golf, 83 Rabbit TDI, 07 Dodge Ram 6.7 Cummins, 85 Golf 1.6
i dont need a timing belt done but i would like to socialize (x2) possibly a few more friends may come, im planning on coming on monday after work or maybe the whole saturday thing would be nice?

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Oldpoopie is trying to recover from a 24/7 three day norcal GTG, I am pretty sure he is on wheel chair after going underneath so many TDI-cars then climbing back to the engine bay and changing many TB's, brakes and suspensions, he worked well into the AM hr. Please give him a break so he could recover, walk again and make it safe to your GTG.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
This may be a stretch but would there happen to be wireless internet at this shop? For referencing something here on TDIclub while doing a job...?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I was asked to pop in this thread--I plan on being there of course!

In any case, this shop does have wireless, I'll also have portable internet with me too.

Oldpoopie is only coming out if we have work for him to do--people drive a thousand miles to have him work on their car, and since we're doing this local for me we're getting a special rate. He's done over 300 TB kits with no issues yet--I will warranty the parts too, so those that need things done shouldn't have anything to worry about. Drag them down! :)
Cheers,
-BB

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
You guys won't regret having Justin work on your cars. Last year I drove 10 hours each way to have him do a clutch and timing belt. 30,000 miles later everything is still top notch! You won't get better service from a better person :)

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
The shop @ Tooele is NICE!
It is FIRST class, plenty of space for hanging out and for working on the TDI's(inside/outside).

It is a good "excuse" to change those overdue vacuum lines, oil and air filters...
(show off your ride too, or :eek: ?)

Get the GTG on your list and say HI. to Charlie and Aaron for me!

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Yes, but there won't be any wrenching--and our chances of having Justin come out again will be very slim. There are a few people needing to have belt jobs done, I know they don't want to pay twice as much to have Utah Imports do it...

WYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI wagon
Any chance of Justin being familiar with any B5.5 work? The alternator pulley, balance shaft "upgrade", steel glow plug replacement? Aaron, can you get any of these parts? Is a Passat even welcome? :eek:

ahardy4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
bikeprof said:
The shop @ Tooele is NICE!
It is FIRST class, plenty of space for hanging out and for working on the TDI's(inside/outside).
There wouldn't happen to be a press at the shop would there? I might put off my suspension work until then if there is (control arm bushings would be easier with a press). Of course I'll probably not get to it until then regardless since I've already had the parts for a month now. Anyway, really looking forward to this.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:

azztek

TDI
2003 Jetta
I was going to do my own TB, but if oldpoopie will come to Toole I will have him do it. Thats $525, correct? I assume that includes the Vag-Com timing?

2003 jetta TDI

BleachedBora

TDI
Email Justin on the B5.5 stuff, you're always welcome!

Suspension stuff we can find out about, I'll see what I can do. Worst case we can go to a local suspension shop and give them $20 to use their press.

The TB jobs are usually $675 for the ALH parts/labor, since this is my local market we're doing the special this time only for $595 installed. That does include all VAG-com timing and the like, price is out the door. Plus Justin goes over your car to make sure everything else is in top shape.

-BB

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Bora-chiara said:
So the long awaited GTG is finally here. Justin (Oldpoopie) has agreed to come down and do wrenching at a GTG for us. Other work will be at his discretion so please contact him for options. There are very few trustworthy locations for having a TB done in this area, so we need to take advantage of this opportunity. The dates are April 19th and 20th, as he only has Sundays and Mondays off. If we get enough work he has agreed to take Saturday off, which means we'd have the 18th-20th available for work. We need to have a firm signup sheet; Justin says he likes to use BleachedBora's parts, so we'll be in contact with him for hooking us up. I'm sure he could do Alligator tunes if anyone needed them...

Pricing for TB kits is as follows:

ALH with BB's Deluxe TB kit ---> $595 installed
1Z/AHU with BB's "Oldpoopie Deluxe" 60k TB kit ---> $395 installed
Other TB kits: Please contact Oldpoopie

$595 installed??????? That's how much you charged me for install only!
Great price; I just got a TB changed from a delaer at a great price and labor only was $600.00! Justin, I'll try to drive as much as I can so the next 100K miles will be just around the corner.

Bud_2001

TDI
2001 Golf GL
I'm in for ALH TB

I won't have time to thoroughly read the SLC threads for a few days, but I gather I'm supposed to say I'm in for an ALH timing belt install. Any day from the Friday through Monday is good for me.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Darn, only 30,000 miles on my current one. My head gasket is still leaking oil from when they (the stealership) changed mine too.

Have fun in Utah peoples

vertaqua

TDI
2003 VW Golf GLS
Even if your not getting your TB done, you should still come out. We're having a BBQ sunday I believe, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Jacob G

Veteran Member
TDI
04 TDI Golf, 83 Rabbit TDI, 07 Dodge Ram 6.7 Cummins, 85 Golf 1.6
i may have another friend that will need the timing belt still waiting on him to confirm if he can that weekend (alh auto) just thought i would mention it. Hey Justin your for sure coming down right?

BleachedBora

TDI
We got the tickets for him last night--looks like this will be Sunday only, maybe one belt Monday morning...that's up to him. :)
-BB