Old time diesel clatter after emissions modification?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I had the emissions fix done on my 2012 JSW a bit less than two months and 1500 miles ago. The main difference I'm noticing is more frequent diesel clattering. Before the modification, the engine would clatter only very briefly during initial warmup, maybe for a second or so at a time. Now I can produce the clattering sound for several seconds during acceleration, and not just during warmup. It's not as bad as diesels 30 years ago, which were clattering continuously while idling and at low rpm acceleration if I remember correctly, but definitely noticeable.
1300 miles after the fix the P0401 code appeared, and VW put a new DPF and EGR filter into the car, but that didn't affect the clattering. The car accelerates just as well or better as before the modification. I don't have good numbers yet on fuel mileage.

Did anyone else notice increased diesel clatter with their car after the emissions modification?

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I have also what sounds like the same Sounds as you. I have a ‘12 wagon as well, 6MT. I started a thread back a few months ago about my ‘noise’. Happens most notably around 1500-2000 rpm, under a light throttle in 2-3rd gear. 4th won’t make it. If ya tromp on it, or let off the throttle it goes away. I’m also tuned and have been in touch with the tuner about it and I’m just waiting for clear dry roads to make some vcds logs for them. It’s -26 this am here again.... argh.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think I also have a bit more diesel clatter after the modification in my 2010 Golf TDI. I like that! I don't like the more frequent regen business. I'd love to ditch the mod and all the exhaust, but the new warranty is a factor. One of these days, if the car doesn't blow up, I'm going for a tune and delete! I guess that will be at about 200K miles. It will be fun if I get there!