Old Navy's Fall '11 GTG The Last Hurrah!!!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
L7 Glad you could make the trip, can't believe it's been that long.

Looking foreward to the visit.

I guess the winner for early bird trophy is Jerry Stringer. He got here about 8:45 AM today and we went out to the PBGC and had some fun. :D

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
We will probably get to the hotel by midnight. We just entered the Dainel Boon National Forest.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I'm here! Checked into the hotel a short time ago. Rt. 67 from St Louis is awesome, 6 hours exactly.

So where is Ryan's and what time and where do we meet up?

Hell, I'm ready for happy hour now... ;)

:)

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
There sure are a lot of you I'd like to meet or see again, but I'm not going to be able to make it. :( Too much homework!

Old Navy, it was a pleasure meeting you last year and I'm sad this is your last GTG! I wish you and your family the best, and I hope to at least keep seeing you on the forum from time to time. :)

Everyone else: have a great time, and drink an extra beverage for me!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Someone in a pretty blue Golf wagon just drove in the driveway and before I could get garage door open they drove out about 5 minutes ago. Wife had the van and was gone to get the boys. They probably passed the wife on Wilcox Dr. :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
And boy is this place super! Or something...

What time do the festivities start in the morning?

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
When ever you feel froggy enough to drag your tired behinds over. ;)

Early birds usually start showing up about 7 to 8 in the morning. Early bird gets the worm. :eek:

I know, I know who wants a worm? :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
K well... we are awake now. Gonna get some breakfast and head over in a little while. :)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Have a good time Walt and all you TDI nuts. I wanted to go for this last bash but I am in Arizona this weekend visiting my relatives in Phoenix.
Going Sunday for a donkey ride at the Grand Canyon if I weigh-in under the limit. It is a close one!:eek:
All my best to you all!
Marty

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
I couldn't come after all! Have a good day together, everyone, and I hope something new will be created in response to the ending of this fine event. Thanks, Walt, for the many years you've hosted these and the fine host you and your family have been. That you've continued to do it years after you no longer owned a VW says something also for the friendships that have been made.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Thanks again for opening your home to a bunch of diesel huffing nuts.

The food was good and the BS almost as deep as usual.

Ford- that ole Studebaker flys!

Last edited:

jettalee

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta
fun fun fun as usual. look for a southern illinois gtg this time next year if Walt really means that this is his last GTG to host.

Lee Ann

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Glad I got to make it out for my first and the last old navy gtg. Sorry for hogging Frank most of the day. I know he wanted to visit more.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Lee Ann it was the last, just getting to hard to do for an old man. This pushing 70, and third heat stoke just took to much out of me. I have got to be more careful for the boys.

If you have one next Oct we will try to come for the first annual JettaLee GTG for sure.

We enjoyed our GTG's so much that we just kept having them 5 years past the last VW TDI we owned because we had made some good friends, who will always be welcome to stop in for a visit, even the folks who just came to one or two times help make it what it was for us.

Some of you who were regulars became good friends and special people to this family over the years. Eli and Ian became friends as we watch both boys grow over the years. I'm sure both boys will have fond memories for years to come.

Thanks all for coming today and to all here at TDI Club for all the good times over the years, God bless you all. You will be fondly remembered if we don't see you again.

Again a special thanks to all here at Fred's,

Walt, Linda, and the boys

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
A big thanks and some mileage news.

Walt and Linda:

Thanks for many years of good GTGs and great memories. Ian and I will always have fond thoughts of our trips to Poplar Bluff and visiting you at your GTG. We had a great time again this year and enjoyed the opportunity to visit with all the attendees.

Also, our trip home was uneventful. We left the Comfort Inn at 7:00AM and pulled in our driveway at home at 2:56PM. We also got Liath into both the 700 miles per tank and 800MPT club on the way home. the final tally on that was 804.8miles on 14.293 gallons for a trip MPG of 56.307. Thats the best mpg Liath's ever gotten and the farthest I've ever driven a TDI on one tank.

Thanks again and we hope to see you at someone else's GTG at some point in the future.

Dan and Ian

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Sorry I couldn't make it but business comes before pleasure if I want to continue to eat. Walt we will be going to Little Rock sometime the fall or yearly winter and will stop by.

Greg

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Thank you Walt for opening up your house to us and allow us to run amok. I had a great time. It was good to see some old friends. Fixed a few minor annoyances on my car and got some leads on how to sort out a few others. That's what GTGs are all about, pooling resources.

A few of us were up until 3AM in my hotel room sipping bourbon and sharing stories, tales, and outright lies. ;)
At least we were quiet enough not to get hotel security called on us, this time. :D
My head was a bit fuzzy around the edges Sunday. :eek:

:)

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Gtg

Thanks Walt for your hospitality again. Dan, congratulations on the 800 mile club! Eric and Glen, thank you for diagnosing my airbag light- should be an easy fix now that I know what sensor to replace and where they hide it. :rolleyes:

Chuck

stevebanks

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Black; Audi Q5 TDI
Thanks for having us! It was a great day with great people. I'm glad we got come over for your last time.

Steve

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Walt and Linda,

Your's was the first ever GTG I attended and I'm glad I was able to make this 'final hurrah'. You've been great hosts. I wish we could have hung around for the late night entertainment, but duties the next day demanded us to make our way back home.

It's always good to meet people and put the names together. Missed a few of you guys that couldn't make it. Glad to see some of the regulars again.

Next GTG isn't very far into the future. Hope to see the same ol faces and make new acquaintances soon.

Frank

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That was a great trip. Thanks Walt, Linda, Xander and Eli for opening your home to us. It was great seeing some old friends and making new ones.

The drive to and from was exhausting but uneventful. I think we're going to have to institute a new restriction on GTGs... nothing farther than 10 hours away. I had to take off work on Monday to recover from the drive home (and the party in BK's room the night before). :eek:

Stay tuned for pictures! I think I ended up taking 250 or so... need to sort through them and dig out the really good ones. :)

-Lawson

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Thanks for hosting, Walt and Linda.

Great GTG, shame it was the last one. :)

That reminds me, I need to upload my video of the Studebaker truck...

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I was wondering why I was so tired all day Saturday and was in bed asleep so early. Seems I was coming down with some kind of bug and it really had hit me about 4:30 Sunday morning. Well I'm up and around, but still dragging and some chest congestion still. I was keeping up with email with the mini laptop (8") but the fever with what I woke up with Sunday morning badly effected my arthritic joints to where I could not stand to walk or even tap a key board Sunday and Monday wasn't much better until late afternoon. Then Monday night was rough again, I guess I was up and around too much. Even though I feel like a living human again I'm still staying inside until Saturday just to make sure of no setback.

Glad to here everyone had a good time and hope that no one took home my flu or what ever it was. Probably just bad food at Ryan's Friday evening. :eek:

If those taking pictures would send them to me at oldnavy6393@gmail.com I would be indebted to you.

Walt

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
That flu bug is a nasty one. It took me 3 weeks to get over it. I suppose it is good to test the immune system once in awhile- if you can survive it.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
That flu bug is a nasty one. It took me 3 weeks to get over it. I suppose it is good to test the immune system once in awhile.
Well this one as far as hanging on goes doesn't seem like it's going to last long. But the aching joints were by no means mild, it was all I could do to not cry. Last time I had pain like that was a broken molar that I had to have pulled.

Greg anytime you're in the area you are more then welcome to stop by, and I hope others do the same. Hey Truman I have the clays and the place if you ever feel the urge.

I hope to travel some as the boys get a little older and that may be sooner then I think due to the way they are growing. :D