Old Navy's Fall '11 GTG The Last Hurrah!!!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well the a/c is holding the inside temp to 79.9 F, but it's 100 F in shade outside. High was 104.4 here in shade and 112.1 on north side of house. That gage is under the eve of the house and never in the direct sun. :eek:

The reason for temp of 80 in the house is Linda's had the day off and has done some baking this afternoon. That @#$% cake better be good is all I can say. :rolleyes:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Well the a/c is holding the inside temp to 79.9 F, but it's 100 F in shade outside. High was 104.4 here in shade and 112.1 on north side of house. That gage is under the eve of the house and never in the direct sun. :eek:

The reason for temp of 80 in the house is Linda's had the day off and has done some baking this afternoon. That @#$% cake better be good is all I can say. :rolleyes:
20*F cooler today than yesterday right? :eek:

A $100 small convection oven for the garage is a good investment for baking in this weather! My mother makes her dog treats for the Farmer's market on her back porch with two electric toastmaster convection ovens.
No heat source in the house!!!! (I believe she uses the timer so her hourly electric billing from Powersmart pricing is at it's lowest cost per KW)

Last edited:

jettalee

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta
Walt you've been awfully quiet lately. Everything ok?

And the heat continues. What will October bring? Hmm?

God bless,
Lee Ann

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Not sure, most wait till closer to the GTG's to gage attendance before posting they will be attending.

Really enjoying my T&C aka VW van, best MPG so far is 26 highway. Averaging about 17 MPG city, sure make me miss the diesel. But it is not driven that much, I'm still under 6,000 miles after 7 months.

However with the ease of getting in and out for wife and me, better seating for kids, and hauls anything from 4x8 sheet of plywood to 14' wide trampoline along with about two weeks of food, 2 adults and two little boys what's not to love.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt:

Based on your family situation, that Town & Country sounds like the right vehicle choice! Hope You, Linda, Elai, and Zander are all holding up well through the "dog days". Lets all hope for a cool down real soon.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Thanks Dan, those boy's keep my mind young and body tired and worn. You won't believe how Eli has slimmed down and shot up, Ian won't recognize him.

Hey a new bed has really helped with the tired and worn part, now if I could just find a answer for the problems of age and the craziness of youth nipping at my heels.

But if only Chrysler had stuck a nice I-4 or V-6 diesel in the van, 35 to 40 highway would have been great. But I guess you can't have everything.

smltwnguy30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI 2 dr 5 spd
Walt I feel bad for you, 26 mpg is the max in the T&C? I managed 25.8 in my 2500 HD 4x4 Quad cab Cummins with auto tranny :) no A/C of course! Only on a very long trip though... I can't wait for your GTG, mostly cause the weather here will be so much nicer right? Darn MO weather :-(

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Walt I feel bad for you, 26 mpg is the max in the T&C? I managed 25.8 in my 2500 HD 4x4 Quad cab Cummins with auto tranny :) no A/C of course! Only on a very long trip though... I can't wait for your GTG, mostly cause the weather here will be so much nicer right? Darn MO weather :-(
Well for for close to two tons and the arodynamic's of cement block, 20-25 mpg ain't to shabby for 65 to 75 mph range. And since I only drive it 20 miles a week average, where my miles are coming from are out of town trips. Currently after 7 months I have 5500 miles on the van.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Not sure of heat index, but at 10:30 when I went to bed last night it was 91.2F and then about 11pm it started thunderboombing and we had some rain and hail. It's now 75F out and 90% plus humidity. :eek::eek::eek:

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Looking forward to Walt's last GTG. My airbag light came on. Would anybody be willing to help me diagnose and repair at the meet? $$ is involved.

Thanks!

Chuck

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well the hot weather has started to ease up now, with 7 day forecast of mid to upper 80's for highs, but humidity highs of low to mid 90% will be with us till late September to early October. That period of month or two with cool weather but 90%+ humidity really feel strange, clothes feel damp and feels some what like you're breathing water.

I've often wondered how our ancestors ever survived w/o our modern appliances. :eek:

Survival of the fittest I guess. :D

Only A/C I had as a kid was the movies and some stores down town, never had a shower until I joined the US Navy. My first car had no PS, PB, CC, or A/C and only had an AM Radio. :eek:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt:

Are you getting all fuzzy eyed and nostalgic?? Pining for the old days? I remember them too, but I'll bet you can remember lower gas prices than I can. Keep cool and enjoy the AC.

Dan

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Alright, I'm going to try and take leave (military term for "vacation days") to come down for this.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Walt:

Are you getting all fuzzy eyed and nostalgic?? Pining for the old days? I remember them too, but I'll bet you can remember lower gas prices than I can. Keep cool and enjoy the AC.

Dan
Nope, only good thing about the good old days was I was young.

When I was in HS the per gallon price of cut-rate gas was about 21 to 23 cents and major brand like Shell or Mobil were 3 or 4 cents more. Lowest I ever paid was 9 cents a gallon durring a gas war. When I bought my first TDI in July of 2000 and joined the TDI club IIRC I was paying about $1 per gallon to $125 depending where I was buying and part of country I was in.

Forgot to mention I talked to a guy this week with the new Chrysler built VW Van, he paid lot more for less. His was not as well optioned out and he paid about $40,000 "window sticker" for his and mine listed for $34,000 and I paid $28,3xx with discounts & rebates. He had the 4L DOC engine with 6 speed tranny, I got 3.8L pushrod engine with the higher low end tourqe and same 6 speed tranny. Seems we were doing about same MPG's 25/26 on the highway and 16/17 city. The kicker was the guy didn't know it was a Chrysler made van, he commented how much mine was like his VW. The look on his face when I told him it was made by Chrysler was funny as could be, not sure he believed me.

Last edited:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I am surprised chrysler is not trying to sell a mid-sized sedan that looks a lot like a Passat.

Time is getting closer, I am looking at all the stuff I want or need to bring to try and get rid of, just wondering if anyone would be interested in my leftover car parts.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Allan:

I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you've got to get rid of. I'm not guaranteeing that I'd buy anything, but having good spare parts around is never a bad thing.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well, nix this idea. I'll be working nights.
I'd rather see you missing the event because of your job, instead of not affording to come because of no job.

Hit 99 here yesterday and it was 81F at 1030 CST when I went to bed. Tomorrow morning the low is headed to 55 F according to weather man and a high of 77 F would you believe. No wonder my arthritis is whipping my behind. :eek:

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Thanks for your dedicated service.
It's because of you, all service members, and retired service people that we can say our current government sucks.
I appreciate it. I don't deserve it though, the guys that really do are overseas in harm's way in uncomfotable conditions. I sit in my safe, air conditioned / heated office here in the US...

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
We all gave some and some gave all, we just volunteered and took our chances. I remember wondering if I would ever live long enough to retire and was sure I would never live to see the turn of the century.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Wow!!! What a weather change, high '70's for last weekend. 83F yesterday and very muggy, today it hit 97F here in the shade and 33% humidity. Went out several times and didn't break a sweat, if not for the scenery I would have thought I was back in New Mexico again. Thursday the high is only suppose to hit mid to upper 60's and wet, arthritic joints will be raising the devil tomorrow, if not later tonight. :eek: