Old Navy's Fall '10 GTG

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Walt, I know work has been keeping him busy. He usually answers his cell phone.

I'll look for him at Marty's next weekend. He's usually there.

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I'll bring another Vagcom and laptop. I have valve adjustment tools for the MB diesel crowd also.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I have no idea at this time if I can make it.

Weekend work at work is constantly in flux this year. My week work is too. Sample: got up at 05:00 on Tuesday and got back to bed at 01:30 on Thursday to get a few snores before back up at 05:00 so I could be back at work, through emails and on a corporate status call at 07:30 to explain unplanned events of the previous 24 hours. I'll also be working from 21:00 or so Saturday to ??:?? on Sunday. I don't get paid to sleep.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Weekend work at work is constantly in flux this year. My week work is too. Sample: got up at 05:00 on Tuesday and got back to bed at 01:30 on Thursday to get a few snores before back up at 05:00 so I could be back at work, through emails and on a corporate status call at 07:30 to explain unplanned events of the previous 24 hours. I'll also be working from 21:00 or so Saturday to ??:?? on Sunday. I don't get paid to sleep.
Those kind of hours are crazy man, that will put you in an early grave.

Not sure at 65 how many more of these GTG's are left in me, but if you can't make it I understand.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner

sounds like changing timing belts at a GTG...

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Old Navy I was at one of your GTG a few years ago and had a good time.

I just took off the 15th for the drive up.

I did not want your CDI to feel all alone, I had my TDI for almost eight years and found a 06 CDI that I just could not pass up and need a reason for a road trip.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Old Navy I was at one of your GTG a few years ago and had a good time.

I just took off the 15th for the drive up.

I did not want your CDI to feel all alone, I had my TDI for almost eight years and found a 06 CDI that I just could not pass up and need a reason for a road trip.
Sounds like good plan to me. :D We can sit around and BS and supervise.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
sounds like changing timing belts at a GTG...
I'm not as young as I was then. Now staring at the schedule that says I'm working 18:00 Saturday to 14:00 Sunday. :( This is wearing me out.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
For those not in this area I was just outside in garage and it was 102F with doors and windows open and two fans going, but it was 105F out on the deck and 108 on driveway side of the house. :eek:

Should have had the GTG today. :D

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
For those not in this area I was just outside in garage and it was 102F with doors and windows open and two fans going, but it was 105F out on the deck and 108 on driveway side of the house. :eek:

Should have had the GTG today. :D
Riiiighhht...We were in the garage earlier today. 97 degrees with 90% humidity. We finished up the NB quickly and went inside.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
After the heatstroke last years, I not out and about for anything more then taking Eli to school.

Was looking at miles and date of last oil change looks like the GTG may see CDI with hood up and engine cover off while oil being sucked out.

If anyone coming to GTG that has a oil sucker outer bring it, not sure mine works anymore.

May be time for fuel filter change also about then, have to check and see.

Need to find out if anyone besides MB can remove service check reminders or if I have to spend some money with the dealer. :eek:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
After the heatstroke last years, I not out and about for anything more then taking Eli to school.

Was looking at miles and date of last oil change looks like the GTG may see CDI with hood up and engine cover off while oil being sucked out.

If anyone coming to GTG that has a oil sucker outer bring it, not sure mine works anymore.

May be time for fuel filter change also about then, have to check and see.

Need to find out if anyone besides MB can remove service check reminders or if I have to spend some money with the dealer. :eek:

Walt,

Does this help with the service reminder?

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/10502/?requestedDocId=10502

Bill

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Bill looks like it will do the trick, but will wait till about 5AM tomorrow morning and mid 80's for temperature, otherwise I might stroke out in process as it only down to 97F few minutes ago. :eek:

If it works I'll have you a steak for lunch at the GTG. :D

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Hi Walt,

I have a Pela oil extractor 6000 http://www.pelaproducts.com/ . It holds six liters so if my memory serves me correctly we may have to empty it out twice to get all the oil out of the Benz. I used to have a 300D Turbo which held 9 quarts.

Chuck

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Hi Walt,

I have a Pela oil extractor 6000 http://www.pelaproducts.com/ . It holds six liters so if my memory serves me correctly we may have to empty it out twice to get all the oil out of the Benz. I used to have a 300D Turbo which held 9 quarts.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I still have the 5 gal metal gas can I have had for 25 years to put used oil into for transport to oil reclaim center. It's almost like family, except I never had to feed or cloth the thing. :D

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt, et al:

I got an e-mail from Frank a couple of days ago and it sounds like he might make it to your GTG. I guess we'll have to wait for a confirmation from him though. Ian and I will be there for sure. I need to get our reservations set at the Super8 first.

Dan

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt, et al:

Well, something big came up, for Ian that is. He will be on his way to Washington DC for his 8th Grade Class trip that day. Needless to say he won't be attending and he is quite put out about it. I will still be attending though it may change my plans somewhat. I guess the rest of us will have to pull Ian's slack and keep Elai entertained. If things change I will let you know, but right now it's reservations for 1 at the Super 8.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Walt, et al:

Well, something big came up, for Ian that is. He will be on his way to Washington DC for his 8th Grade Class trip that day. Needless to say he won't be attending and he is quite put out about it. I will still be attending though it may change my plans somewhat. I guess the rest of us will have to pull Ian's slack and keep Elai entertained. If things change I will let you know, but right now it's reservations for 1 at the Super 8.

Dan
Well I'm sure Ian will have more fun and big tales to tell when he comes home. ;)

Eli now has 'Zander hot on his heels so he will have a playmate, just not his special big friend. :D

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Dan- Maybe Ian can bend a politicians ear on relaxing some of the regulations that make the US unfriendly to diesel engines.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Wish there was a source he close for M1 ESP 5w-40 oil, I could run it in both cars. Otherwise to have both on same oil it would have to be the M1 0w-40 of which isn't a real diesel oil. :(

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
It's a much of a diesel oil as M1 ESP 5w40 is. M1 0w40 is MB 229.5, M1 ESP 5w40 is MB 229.51.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html
Yes you're right I looked it up just now. The M1 Diesel T & SUV 5w-40 has better soot carrying ability I'm told, but do not know for sure. I will just truck on using the 0w-40 or 5w40 DT & SUV as both are available here local. I should be at oil change point for the GTG, maybe even a tad beyond. If it cools off enough and my suction pump works I may do it before the GTG.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Yes you're right I looked it up just now. The M1 Diesel T & SUV 5w-40 has better soot carrying ability I'm told, but do not know for sure. I will just truck on using the 0w-40 or 5w40 DT & SUV as both are available here local. I should be at oil change point for the GTG, maybe even a tad beyond. If it cools off enough and my suction pump works I may do it before the GTG.
Yes, the newer truck oils have better soot handling. T&SUV 5w40 hasn't been around in years though! It's been renamed to Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Yes, the newer truck oils have better soot handling. T&SUV 5w40 hasn't been around in years though! It's been renamed to Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40
I guess I had a senior moment there Bob, I remember very well the panic when they did the switch and even recalled the old labeled oil from venders like Wal-Mart. I have some Turbo Diesel Truck setting on the shelf in the garage. Think 400 mile trip Tuesday and 160 mile trip today has worn me out. Good night. :)

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Mr Walt

Still to early to tell for sure, however I'm planning on coming. Need to bring a block for Frank06 to work on. If so I'll be bring the new Dmax. Poplar Bluff have a Holiday Inn Express?

Greg

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Mr Walt

Still to early to tell for sure, however I'm planning on coming. Need to bring a block for Frank06 to work on. If so I'll be bring the new Dmax. Poplar Bluff have a Holiday Inn Express?

Greg
Holiday Inn yes, not sure if it's an express though. Lot of folks have used the Super 8 and recommend it for cost, clean and easy in and out of to highway and proximity to Mc D's and the road that comes straight out almost to the house.

I checked these motels phone numbers , and the Bluff Inn finally closed

Here are the local motel phone numbers for those needing lodging and directions to the house.

Comfort Inn 800-228-5150

Bullwinkles Rustic Lodge 573-778-3535

Holiday Inn 573-776-1200

Super 8 Motel 800-800-8000

There is a motel out just before the first Poplar Bluff exit at highway T called Bullwinkles Rustic Lodge I added to the list, it is about 8 miles from the house. I have heard it's a nice place but have no first hand knowlege. It looks like a big log cabin with airplane coming out it or on top of it. :eek: