Old Navy's Fall '09 GTG

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well it's time top start planning for the fall GTG, this will be the 6th Oct GTG held here at the house. I have set a date of Saturday 24th of October.

As usual we will provide the food and drink, but if you have something special you want to bring feel free to do so. We have a gas fired grill and if you want to warm up something or cook something special feel free to do so. What we do is try to provide all the food and drink along with a outside porta-potty for the guys. The reason for this is that everyone is generally coming in from 3 to 6 hr drive, and some may be 10 or 12 hrs road time, and it is hard to travel with food for those distances. Also if some are not able to come at last minute who is bringing something needed we would be caught short, by my providing it and then everyone chipping in to the kitty to offset our expenses no one goes hungry or thirsty.

This will also be open to both MB diesel drivers so there may be some new faces driving newer tech then VW USA or some some really old technology. :p ;)

Links to Past Oct GTG's, enjoy. :D

'03 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=57692

'04 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=733428

'05 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=111351

'06 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...68#post1295368

'07 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=177181

'08 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=216164

Some Spring GTG's also:

'03 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=67993

'05 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=891302

Work List:
As yet to be determined.

VW TB List:
As yet to be determined.

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)

General maintenance & trouble shooting, may include MB's:

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

Remember guys this is a DIY with supervision, unless you make arrangements with one of the individuals that has tools & ability such as MOGolf, Paramedick or someone else. You can post on the last page that info so I can note it in the TB & General Maintenance sections.

Rocket Chip will be contacted for possible 1200 mile drive, if he is up to it.

Here are the local motel phone numbers for those needing lodging and directions to the house.

Comfort Inn 800-228-5150

The Bluff Inn 573-785-7711

Holiday Inn 573-776-1200

Super 8 Motel 800-800-8000

Here are the directions for those who need them.

If you are coming from St Louis take I-55 South to Festus/Crystal City area, (exit 174 I think) then take 67 South about 120 miles to Poplar Bluff. Stay on 67 business/ Westwood Blvd, do not take any exits. About 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer; you will come to your first stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming south from IL, the NE area of the US, or SE area of US such as Memphis, take I-57 to US 60, and US 60 to Poplar Bluff, and if coming by I-55 go to the I-55 and US 60 interchange at Sikeston MO. Take the 60 West exit to Poplar Bluff, approx 52 miles. At the second Poplar Bluff exit take the second exit for business 67S/Westwood Blvd. Once on business 67S you will pass the local Dodge/Jeep dealer, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer till you come to your first stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill, at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming in from the south of town on Hwy 67N (as some of you AR boys are) Take the 3rd Poplar Bluff exit. You will see the local Dodge/Jeep dealer on your right at this off ramp, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer on Business 67S/Westwood Blvd till you come to your first stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy Lane becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming in from the west, go to Springfield MO, and from there take US Highway 60 E to Poplar Bluff. It is all 4 lanes except about 30 miles of the 190 miles to Poplar Bluff. You will take Hwy 60 W to the intersection of 60 and 67 at that point you will take the first exit (60E and 67S) and head south about 8 miles. You will come to an interchange, do not take any exits. You will pass the local Dodge and Jeep dealer, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer, till you come to your first stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

For those coming in at the north side of the town (everyone should be) and going straight to the motel, go past the first light and the Super8 is on the right, next to the McDonald's and you can turn into the McD's (easiest way) lot to get to Super8. Holiday inn is on the right about 1/8th mile past the McD's. The Drury and Comfort Inn motels are about 1/4 mile down the road on the left. The Bluff Inn is about 1/10th mile passed the Drury and Comfort Inn's on the opposite side of Westwood Blvd/67 Business.

GPS:

36*47'01"N
090*23'43"W

2610 W. Avondale St
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901

If you have any questions just ask.

No Home phone, we are wireless now.

Cell is 573-778-6907 (please no call till after 7 PM CST weekdays, Friday 7 PM till 6 AM Monday CST is free minutes)

Remember KK donuts are always welcome and make the wife happy. :D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I might try to make this one. been too long since ive been out there.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Another ON GTG!!!!

YAHOOOO!! Walt, you (and LINDA) are the best. Ian and I are looking forward to another trip to Poplar Bluff. Barring a major catastrophe we (Ian and I) will be there.

Dan

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
NICE! Great time of year to ride the bike! If no snow is forcast! No humidity!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'll try and be here unless work interferes. ON GTG is always a good time.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
If my car is running by then, you can count me in :). If all goes half way according to plan, it should be running by my gtg at the latest.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Sigh... hopefully this year!

At least I know where Walt's house is now after having to go pick my parts up from last years GTG only a month or two after the fact! :rolleyes:

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Old Navy said:
Man for a moment I thought you were talking about something else...been away from VW's too long. :eek: :D
Same principal, just different parts going under the knife. :p

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Wish I could figure out a way to do remove the restricter in my Benz, wife's car has no restricter and you can stick a big truck high flow hose into the filler. Mine you have to wiggle it to get any fuel nozzle in the darn thing.

But it does vent with no problem, try to put an extra 3/10 of fuel in and you will have a big old nasty streak down the side of the car.

Went to Bass Pro this weekend and averaged 36.7 for the total trip including in town driving and some 80 MPH driving when the lady driving a Toyota SUV just did not want to be passed by my MB for some reason. I have the TDI diesel plate holder on the rear of the car along with my USN "Don't Tread On Me" battle pennant bumper sticker.

At the first stop light outside of Springfield MO she tried to out run me and I let her seem like she was just easing off from me until I honked the horn and put the peddle down about 2/3 of the way and blew her doors off, and that started the race to Poplar Bluff. She is from here in town and her other half is a local business man and they live less then 1/4 mile from us.

In the small section of two lane curvy road she could not maintain the 70 MPH so that my neighbor buddy riding with me would not panic. He drives Toyota/Honda's and never drives over 65 MPH so he can get the MPG's the car's window sticker said he should get. She passed me again once we hit the four lane again and stayed in front till she pulled off at a gas station about 30 miles west of town. I bet she drove 150 miles getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon @ $2.50 a gallon at best.

My friends little civic can not beat my MPG of the CDI on the highway and our knee's don't rub the dash either. Lot to be said for 2 tons of comfort in my book. :D

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Old Navy said:
My friends little civic can not beat my MPG of the CDI on the highway and our knee's don't rub the dash either. Lot to be said for 2 tons of comfort in my book. :D
My parents recently purchased the MB R320 CDI. They've gotten as high as 33 mpg on the highway which is a lot to be said for such a heavy AWD crossover. I believe it is actually classified as a truck. Mom says it's too big but dad loves the room for hauling with the seats folded down (3 rows).:cool:

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
invest3 said:
My parents recently purchased the MB R320 CDI. They've gotten as high as 33 mpg on the highway which is a lot to be said for such a heavy AWD crossover. I believe it is actually classified as a truck. Mom says it's too big but dad loves the room for hauling with the seats folded down (3 rows).:cool:
I hope to own one next year. Need it to haul two boys around.

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
My vote is for the Westy if its the same one that was at the ON-GTG several years back! If I remember correctly, it was an '81 or '82 diesel Vanagon Westy in Bermuda Brown.

Dan

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
All of Us said:
My vote is for the Westy if its the same one that was at the ON-GTG several years back! If I remember correctly, it was an '81 or '82 diesel Vanagon Westy in Bermuda Brown.

Dan
Same one, only thing is it takes so long to drive 450 miles in it. If its a nice day its really fun to putt along about 50mph or so. It will do 60 buts it really got the rubber band tight.

Greg

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Greg, would you like me to drive ahead of you as a wind break, or to tow it at a higher speed? :D