Oklahoma to South Carolina- Trip Log | MKVI Golf

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
On the Gatlinburg side of the GSMNP is the trail head to the Chimneys ! It's 99% up and takes about two hours to the summit! We did it late one evening not realizing the time and distance........ and, actually needed a flash light the last 1/4 to half mile on the return hike!...LOL

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
On the Gatlinburg side of the GSMNP is the trail head to the Chimneys ! It's 99% up and takes about two hours to the summit! We did it late one evening not realizing the time and distance........ and, actually needed a flash light the last 1/4 to half mile on the return hike!...LOL
Lol I've had those kind of hikes. I lose track of time when I get in the woods.
Next time you go back to the GSMNP, plan some day hikes. Get up early, early, in the morning, have breakfast at the Log Cabin Pancake House in Gatlinburg...skip the Waffle House. That is one step below IHOP.

Depending on what type of hiking you're up for, there are some very nice options. Do some research and talk to the Rangers at the park Ranger Stations. Also the folks at the Happy Hiker are extremely helpful. My favorite day trips are:

Clingmans Dome to Andrew's Bald - quick little hike to a mountain bald for picnic lunch
Twin Towers (nothing to do with the WTC, named long long before) - short but very steep climb. Great views.
Mt Camerer Fire Tower - all day hike, about 15 mi round trip.
Mt LeConte - steep 8 mi round trip hike. The views are outstanding. You can camp up on the peak, or make reservations to stay in the primitive lodge. Cool stuff.

There are TONS of hiking trails in GSMNP, especially along the Appalachian Trail.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Yeah, I don't see WH or IHOP anywhere in the future.

I hope to do lots of hiking when we go back as we will have a proper baby carrier. (Looking at one from Osprey) He is getting too big for the front pack.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Next time you go back to the GSMNP, plan some day hikes. Get up early, early, in the morning, have breakfast at the Log Cabin Pancake House in Gatlinburg...skip the Waffle House. That is one step below IHOP.

Depending on what type of hiking you're up for, there are some very nice options. Do some research and talk to the Rangers at the park Ranger Stations. Also the folks at the Happy Hiker are extremely helpful. My favorite day trips are:

Clingmans Dome to Andrew's Bald - quick little hike to a mountain bald for picnic lunch
Twin Towers (nothing to do with the WTC, named long long before) - short but very steep climb. Great views.
Mt Camerer Fire Tower - all day hike, about 15 mi round trip.
Mt LeConte - steep 8 mi round trip hike. The views are outstanding. You can camp up on the peak, or make reservations to stay in the primitive lodge. Cool stuff.

There are TONS of hiking trails in GSMNP, especially along the Appalachian Trail.
I made a mistake...the first trail I was referring to was the Chimney Tops trail. It has been a while since I hiked the trail. Chimney Tops was actually the first trail I hiked in GSMNP. Anyway, there are two "peaks" if I remember correctly, so I am not sure how I messed that up. HA! Thanks Andy for posting that.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If you are ever nearby, the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, located in Tennessee and Kentucky, has some awesome trails... mostly a well kept secret. The Blue Heron Mining Facility and Housing Camp (re-constructed) is operated by the NPS (mining was shut-down in 1959). There is a train ride from Stearns down into the gorge to Blue Heron or you can drive there. It is located in McCreary County Kentucky. There is an excellent campground that gets low use (hardly ever crowded) inside the park with all the amenities. The river provides some excellent kayaking and canoeing as well. From that area, you can visit Cumberland Falls State Park or drive to Tennessee northeast of Jamestown to Pickett State Park ... excellent hiking trails there too. The Sheltowee Trace's original southern trail head is just north of Pickett State Park. It wonders north well over 200 miles. Anyway, it does go through parts of BSFNR&RA. Google or Yahoo Searches are your friend...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I made a mistake...the first trail I was referring to was the Chimney Tops trail. It has been a while since I hiked the trail. Chimney Tops was actually the first trail I hiked in GSMNP. Anyway, there are two "peaks" if I remember correctly, so I am not sure how I messed that up. HA! Thanks Andy for posting that.

We stopped for a Bear Jam just north of there on Thursday. (wife saw this one, I did not)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I cannot believe I missed the photos last Tuesday.

We drove up to the top of Clingmans Dome Saturday, and the clouds parted for a few seconds. We turned around the day before from rain and clouds. (was socked in by the gap.

we left on June 1, and camped at Cades Cove campground. no hot water, and the days it rained the rest rooms were wet and kind of nasty, but a shower at a local commercial campground for $5 a head left us feeling better.

saw lots of bears and turkeys. (not in the camp ground, but I thought there was a bear in the tent in the next site from all the grunting. just snoring....)

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I cannot believe I missed the photos last Tuesday.

We drove up to the top of Clingmans Dome Saturday, and the clouds parted for a few seconds. We turned around the day before from rain and clouds. (was socked in by the gap.

we left on June 1, and camped at Cades Cove campground. no hot water, and the days it rained the rest rooms were wet and kind of nasty, but a shower at a local commercial campground for $5 a head left us feeling better.

saw lots of bears and turkeys. (not in the camp ground, but I thought there was a bear in the tent in the next site from all the grunting. just snoring....)
I saw on the news last week how much rain SC/TN/NC got after we left...hopefully it wasn't too miserable lol

I was a very clear day when we were in the GSM....I didn't think anything of it (other than how beautiful it was) until I heard a park ranger saying how rare it is to have such a clear and warm day.

We never did see a bear which was a little disappointing, but it was a blast nonetheless. As for the snoring, that is exactly why I always keep a package of earplugs in the tent/rv lol

Glad to hear you had fun, I can't wait to go back!