OK>......my tdi dies after starting........

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
So other day I drove my 2000 TDi jetta to thank my friend for helping other friend with his tires. Checked my tires......then all good and So as i leave, i start the car, and it starts... revs up to 1500 or more......and then dies. So i crank and start again........and same thing,,,,,,,,, over and over. it starts.... then dies immediately after about 1 second.

I did add some cetane booster before adding diesel fuel about 200 miles while on a long trip.....and turns out I added too much....double the dose. Dont know if that can cause the engine to die. ?

I read

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is it reving up on it's own or will it idle fine but then die once you rev it up?
Fuel comes to mind. Check for air bubbles in the line. Clogged filter, ect...... I always default to checking the timing belt and markings at any signs of anything with these old cars.a scan for codes too

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Is the glow plug light coming on when you cycle the key?

Is the engine light on?

Two things come to mind , 109 relay and crank sensor.

Centane booster will not cause this.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The 1 second start and die is usually an Immobilizer, I missed that in your description. Disconnect your battery cables for about 10 minutes and try again.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
If it's not the immobiliser, the first thing that comes to mind for me is a failed solenoid valve for the antishudder valve. Engine start,s as soon as it makes vacuum it closes the valve on itself.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
How cold is it where you are?

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
IT it has been colder , but in California it is still above freezing.......... And in morning car started fine.

No......it will not hold idle. I start it.........step on pedal for a little fuel, and then it dies. Still does that today.

OK,........... glow plug light is on, but its the glowplug harness code. I have been driving around with that CEL , since really dont need glowplug here in California.

OK.......let me check the immobilizer .................

Will get back.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Yes,....Immobilizer cel is on.............let me disconnect battery to see if it works.

If it does work, is there any more thing that needs to be done ?

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hi all, YOu guys rock. I disconnected battery terminals, but didnt touch the two ends together since they were unable to touch with battery in middle. ( I turned key on to acc , so immobilizer light on................and left it on . Meanwhile went into house to get some wires hangers to bridge and connect the two battery leads........... When i got back.........the immobilizer light was off..............and engine started easily.

Thanks. About $300 to $1000 saved from stealership.

:):love:(y)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awesome! Glad it sorted itself out. I am not a fan of immobilisers. I would typically ask any of mine that get software upgrades to have that portion tuned out. I have no worries about my cars being stolen.