Oil Temperature at 32F

pabloco

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Hello fellow TDI enthusiasts. I have a 2013 VW Golf TDI with Polar FIS. I completed an oil change the other day and noticed this afternoon via the Polar FIS MFA display that the oil temperature is static at 32 degrees Fahrenheit: clearly incorrect considering I reside in southern California AND there's no noticeable change after a 15-min drive. After multiple resets and look-ups via VCDS, I'm stumped and hence presume that I have a faulty oil temperature sensor. However, I can't find the specific part and also location of that sensor on my vehicle. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I would be interested in knowing if the reading was different before the oil change, or if you have ever seen a realistic oil temperature.
I don’t see one on my 2010, can’t remember what it reads and have always thought that was because the car either didn’t have a temperature sensor, or at best had a switch which opened or closed to turn on a light if the oil got too hot. That has never happened to me.

pabloco

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Hi Wilkins. Thanks for quick reply and excellent question. I thought about that also, but can't recall if that variable was ever anything other than 32F (not something I looked at regularly until now). I've read a few posts that some TDIs don't have oil temperature gauges, deferring importance to coolant temps (which would explain why 32F is displaying as absolute lower limit for oil, not having any input). Dealer parts department claimed 038919081K was sensor in question for my VIN, but could not tell me schematically where it was on the car. My oil pan has a felt-like exterior shell, so I don't know if there was a bottom-mount sensor (which is where I'd presume one to be). Though after 10 years of not paying attention to it, I'd be a little disappointed if that variable isn't possible to track but relieved that I can stop looking for something that's not there.

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
I didn't think oil temp was supported on these cars with the Polar. Mine has never read oil temp correctly.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
No oil temp in the 9 thru 14 unfortunately.