Oil sweat in cylinder head?

lh0628

TDI
2010 Golf
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2015 Touareg TDI. The dealer (non-VW) had the vehicle looked at by a VW dealership for some oil residuals around the head gasket area. Here is the summary of work order by the VW dealership:

Removed engine lower cover. Found very minor sweat of oil on right rear corner of the right cylinder head and very minor sweat at the front of the cylinder block. Checked for oil buildup in the valley of the block. Found no oil present.

Ran vehicle and inspected for oil leak. No leak present. Advised customer that oil must be dripping to be considered a leak.

Question: Is this a cause for concern and would it be covered under the extended emission warranty should the issue develop?

The dealership is about a 3-hr drive so any suggestions on what to look for when inspecting the vehicle at pickup would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I dont think we understand. Can you post a picture?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes it is. You'd think the lazy tucks would at least clean the engine. Keep looking.

lh0628

TDI
2010 Golf
Yes it is. You'd think the lazy tucks would at least clean the engine. Keep looking.
Can you please elaborate a bit as to why?

And would this not be covered under the extended emission warranty?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Get can of engine bright degreasing foam spray. Protect electric connections. Wash down engine. Add UV leak detector to oil run for a few hundred miles. Put a black light to it. You will find the leak. Get gasket. Fix it.
Dont bother with dealers and what not. Also if it's just a little bit and no oil spray is present in the area then I would forget it.
A leak wont be covered under an emissions warranty

lh0628

TDI
2010 Golf
Thanks for the explanation.

If I'm understanding you correctly, worst case scenario is to replace the gasket. Is this a fair statement? Would there be underlying issues that may be more severe?

The vehicle only has a little over 30,000 miles. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I will of course inspect the vehicle in person and all. I've owned mostly Subarus before and have heard good things about the Touaregs so I thought I'd give it a try.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Owning a Touareg and maintaining it requires deep pockets. Everything is going to be more expensive, from tires to brakes to fluids to sensors.

Make sure you really want to take it on, otherwise keep looking. Read up on timing chain issues, repeat DPF and DEF system issues and the like. You can also try clubtouareg dot com for more info, as well as the Touareg subforum here.

lh0628

TDI
2010 Golf
Thanks. I've gone through clubtouareg quite a bit and I do understand about the costs asssociated with owning a Touareg.

My question is specific to the issue I described in the original post. Would appreciate if you have any insights.