Oil pump specifications

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
I did a little searching around and can't seem to find anything covered here on the ALH oil pumps and their assembly / specifications.

Franko6 gave me a short run down on how to disassemble the oil pump and to check the gap between the gears on the pump after the teeth meet. However, this was a brief explanation on the phone and a written response would be a WHOLE lot easier to understand.

If anyone knows / has pictures of the pump taken apart and where exactly I'm supposed to be measuring / looking for gap distance / wear and damage I would be most appreciative.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
ok well I took the pump apart 5-6 5mm allen bolts and a t40 or t45 bolt holding the sprocket on. Marked the inner gear to the outer gear and pulled it all apart. Checked for any serious wear marks score marks or pitting and found none so I put the gears back in the pump. Checked the faces of the gears while inside the pump with a flat edge to check the gap spacing between the faces of the gears and the pump housing. .004 filler gauge was the biggest I could fit.

We have a Gerotor oil pump as I've come to learn, and I measured the gear wear on the inner gear and outer ring gear by rotating the gears so the crown of the inner gear and outer ring gear met each other flush and I began checking the gaps. at .0025 the fit began to get snug and a .003 filler gauge was the biggest thing that would fit and it hung a couple time depending where it was.

I'll have the pump back apart this weekend hopefully to clean it and put some assembly lube on it before putting it back in my motor I'll try to take some pictures then.

anyone who is wondering the wear limit on the pump is .007 (in other words if the gap is that big the pump is worn out) for the face of the gears to the housing of the pump and where the crown of the inner and outer gear meet eachother.