Oil Pump Failure?

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
Question for some of you guys that have been around the block....

I took the car up to OCMD this weekend to H2Oi show...car ran GREAT thursday night, all day friday (drove ~60mile to pick up my fiance at the airport)....got home, went and cruized the strip all day friday...was out friday night at some GTGs...went to leave, started down the strip and the "Oil Pressure" idiot light came on....

so i pulled over, check oil, full, check the pan...no dents (so pickup not likely broken off)....so decided to limp it home...started to hear a little tick/knock....parked the car the rest of the weekend, pushed it onto the trailer and came home sunday...

took the car down to the local shop where i get lift time...we pulled the car in, shop owner heard the tick/knock....we pulled the VC, pulled the lower part of the hybrid pan....all looked good...no shrapnel in the oil pan....head looks good....we have positive crank case pressure....

but with an external oil pressure gauge hooked up....pressure reads a big fat goose egg "0"

so curious if anyone has ever seen an oil pump fail? i have a spare pump at home, so i am going back down tonight to swap out the pumps and see what i can figure out....but i am bored/frustrated and at work...so i figured i would throw this up here to see if anyone has any advise...ideas....opinions....

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Wow, not good. Limping home was a bad idea with a high likelihood of scored journals.

Is the oil pump chain still together and on the pump?

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, not good. Limping home was a bad idea with a high likelihood of scored journals.

Is the oil pump chain still together and on the pump?

well didnt have much choice at the point and time....plus it seemed to be getting oil to the head when i looked in the oil fill while it was running....

chain is all still intact and turning the pump when you turn the crank....

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Hope you get it figured out. Nice meeting you in person and finally seeing the car.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Is the T45 torx screw tight? When I was putting together my PD130 motor, I noticed that the oil pump shaft wasn't notched and relies on the screw's friction to keep the sprocket tight with the shaft. I just went out to confirm that all the ALH oil pumps I have are notched.

Has anyone else noticed this with a PD motor? I don't want to take my oil pan back off, but I might have to just to make sure I wasn't seeing things strangely.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
when you turn the crank the oil pump turns...so yes, it i tight....or seem to be...i only pulled the bottom part of the hybrid pan off last night....

will check it again tonight, but i was pretty meticulous about torquing everything in the motor....

mainly looking to see if anyone has experienced oil pump failure....or any reason that if the pump is turning, why would it not be pumping oil thru the engine?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
pull the oil filter and look down on the left side to see if the check valve is still there. I've never heard of it coming out but if it did, you'd loose pressure. Also check the T45 on the left side(external), maybe pull it and make sure the spring has plenty of pressure on it.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
The tick could be lifters. I think the turbo would go before the bearings chewed themselves up. Pop a main cap off (closest one to the flywheel) and see if the bearing looks good.

Also check your oil pickup screen, it can collect crap and cause low or no oil pressure. Both the crank pulley and the oil pump sprocket are squeezed on their shafts so it's possible one or the other is slipping under load. The pressure relief valve can be stuck open as well.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
pull the oil filter and look down on the left side to see if the check valve is still there. I've never heard of it coming out but if it did, you'd loose pressure. Also check the T45 on the left side(external), maybe pull it and make sure the spring has plenty of pressure on it.
sounds good, will do....

The tick could be lifters. I think the turbo would go before the bearings chewed themselves up. Pop a main cap off (closest one to the flywheel) and see if the bearing looks good.

Also check your oil pickup screen, it can collect crap and cause low or no oil pressure. Both the crank pulley and the oil pump sprocket are squeezed on their shafts so it's possible one or the other is slipping under load. The pressure relief valve can be stuck open as well.
the tick does sound like lifters....the pick up screen is free/clear, we checked that last night....The PRV looks to be in the correct position, but i will check it tonight against my old pump as well...

thanks guys

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I don't know the oil pump you've got, but is it possible sprocket spun on OP shaft? Chain get loose? Probably need to get pump in hand to inspect.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
looked at the pump last night, but couldnt pull it last night b/c i didnt have one to swap it with....the car is at my buddies shop, so it had to be buttoned up enough that if they needed the lift it is on, they could push it outside....i cant afford to pay them to work on it during the day....so all my work starts after 6 with a 12pk of coldbeers!

will have more updates tomorrow.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
The 12pk might be a good idea.... :D

At least the ticking sound isn't spun rod bearings like mine was!

Hope it's not anything too expensive to fix

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
well pulled the pan last night...just about time i started to take the pump off, realized that the sprocket bolt had started to back out and had come out enough that the sprocket was no longer engaging the pump.....SO...got that bolted back on, with a liberal amount of blue lock tite...

i have to fix a couple things on my oil pan anyway....so hoping to get it back together either tonight or tomorrow night....

just hoping that the klotz racing oil that the engine builder gave me stood up for the 10min limp back home and none of the bearing journals are scored...

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Hopefully there was enough drag on the pump hub to be able to flow some oil. I'm with Scott, the turbo would probably suffer first.

Hoping for a good outcome for you.