Oil pressure warning light comes on intermittently

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
A few weeks ago while driving home, my oil pressure light came on as I was pulling into my driveway, and I immediately turned off the engine. I routinely check my oil level so knew it was good, but checked it anyway and confirmed it was topped off. Some google searching led me to replacing the oil pressure sensor in case it was faulty. Afterwards it drove fine, but about a few days later the oil pressure warning light came on again.

At that point, I did what I should've originally done which was to use the oil pressure switch testing procedure in the manual, and I verified the switch and the pressure is good. However, since the warning light rarely comes on, and does so at random, I couldn't test the pressure while the warning light was on.

I haven't driven it since, for fear it'll lose pressure while I'm driving somewhere that I can't turn off the engine fast enough.

I read somewhere that fragments of "junk" can get into the oil pan, sometimes covering the oil pickup. Someone said it's likely a fragment from a cracked timing belt cover, since they said those are known to crack. I even found one video on the interwebs of a guy with the same issue on his TDI - he dropped the oil pan and found a few fragments an inch or two in size, but he wasn't sure what they were.

I have tools and some know-how (do all my own maintenance less timing belt), so I am willing to drop the oil pan to remove any fragments if that's the best way forward. But I'm thinking if there is a cracked timing cover (or something else), it should be dealt with or could eventually drop more fragments into the pan.

I'm inclined to drop the pan to check for and remove any fragments, but have a few questions (below) and am open to any suggestions:

1. Is this likely caused by fragments in the oil pan blocking the oil pickup?
2. What are the most likely souces of those fragments?
3. Assuming it might be the lower timing belt cover, how hard and time consuming is it to inspect to see if it is cracked?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well firstly you should identify if it's a wiring issue or a mechanical issue. The single wire for the oil pressure switch can get brittle and break in several spots. Hooking up a mechanical gauge and verifying your actual pressure is good is also another good test.

I'm willing to bet it's a wiring issue. Have you changed the oil recently and see any metal shavings? Metal can come from any place in the engine.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
How would part of a timing belt cover get into the oil sump?

I'd suspect a piece of an old dipstick "funnel" instead.

But yes, use the mechanical gauge as Nero suggests first.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
You can install a T then watch the gauge and look for the light at the same time.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
What they all said; figure out if you have a mechanical or electrical problem FIRST. This is not something to toy with as loss of oil pressure under load will catastrophically damage the engine in seconds.

paul_cat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI [ALH]
Very likely just a bad sensor, a $10 part. After 20 years it's bound to be glitchy. Replace it in just 5 mins. They go by color, yours is likely brown. It's located below the oil filter containment, easy access. Inspect the [single] wire to be sure it isn't fraying.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Very likely just a bad sensor, a $10 part. After 20 years it's bound to be glitchy. Replace it in just 5 mins. They go by color, yours is likely brown. It's located below the oil filter containment, easy access. Inspect the [single] wire to be sure it isn't fraying.
He's already replaced it.
The fact that it was "fine" for a while and then it started again after said replacement, would nudge me to think it's a wiring\connector issue.
Inspect all that closely. Teeing in a gauge is the best way to verify that you're not about to damage anything.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Brief care history?
My 1st TDI (99.5J) had the oil pan compromised, lots of oil loss, then driven on freeway, in winter. I drove with intermittent oil pressure light for months. Couldn't find the issue myself, had to seek professional advise. I changed the bearings (after replacing perfectly good pump and sensor) car ran great for 8 years, until daughter played pinball with some concrete barriers.
Couple things I learned; Oil pressure is only monitored at certain RPMs, the pump throws oil to the top of the engine, much of the actual pressure is generated by the bearings.
When you pull the pan, remove 1 or 2 bearing caps and check the bearing. The fix, replace all rod and crank bearings, was way easier than I anticipated. One note- The car only had 40k miles.
Bad bearings photo

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
I tested the oil pressure in my driveway and when it was still cold I got 60 psi @ idle and 85 psi @ 2000 rpm. Once fully warmed up the readings were 21psi @ idle and 44 psi @ 2000 rpm. The only spec I see for the TDI ALH in the bentley manual is 36 PSI (minimum) @ 2000 RPM. Since pressure drops as oil warms, I'm thinking my 44 PSI is good. I don't think the 21 psi @ idle is anything to worry about, what do you guys think?

Sounds like the consensus here is that its more likely to be an intermittent wire problem, rather than an intermittent oil pickup blockage. So the next step is to replace the old wire and connector and verify the problem does not return in time.

Has anyone here change that wire and connector before, that can provide some guidance? I see the wire goes into a larger band of wires and up towards the firewall. Wondering what the proper procedure is here, and if I can avoid opening up the band of wires, and maybe add a new wire to the outside somehow. Anyone have a reference to instructions on how to change that wire, and whether is runs straight into the instrument cluster?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't recall exactly how the circuit works, but where the wire comes out of the harness to just the single bit to the connector, that's where it usually fails. I've even seen the wire snap inside the insulation, pulling on the connector it literally pulled apart if cut it off close to the harness and just run a new wire, see if that takes care of it.

paul_cat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI [ALH]
try putting some dielectric grease into the connector to the sensor and attach it on and off a few times to wipe the pin down. perhaps intermittent will go away.

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
I sprayed the connector with CRC Contact Cleaner and cleaned it up a bit. We'll see if that helps. I did notice the connector won't click in the way its supposed to. When I push it in all the way, it wants to push slightly back out. The inner clip on the connector seems to be fanned out just a little to much to grab the trangular hook on the sensor. I tried pushing it slightly with a small screwdriver, and it stays in place but I'm not convinced its grabbing how its supposed to. I do remember when I first pulled it out, it was pushed in all the way and grabbing good, so although this is all the more reason to replace the wire/connector, probably wasn't my original issue.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a pinch you can use a regular female blade terminal on the sensor. Done it twice, no issues on either car 2+ years later on each.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
In my 84 Jetta GLi the oil pressure warning would buzz occasioanlly. I'd just smack the dash and it would stop.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I agree with the faulty wire concensus. The wire is very thin and lives in a hot environment. I had to change that wire for that very reason.

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
A couple of questions about changing the wire and connector. Do I need to buy a special heat-tolerant wire? Any links for where to buy it? And do I have to take apart the wire bundle and replace the entire length of wire all the way to the dash cluster, or just a section of the wire?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just replace the section of wire that's bad, you don't have to reinvent the whole circuit.

I believe this is the repair wire you need.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I think Nero is right.

I had flakey reverse lights in my Jetta Wagon. I replaced the switch, re-soldiered the wires (it has a 6 speed swap). Still had the issue. Found that the one pin in the plug was sloppy. Fixed with a repair wire. Good to go.

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
While waiting for the new connector/wire (shipping delays), I dropped the oil pan and noticed metal shavings in my oil pickup screen, thought not enough to block it completely. Could this have been the cause of the intermittent oil pressure light? Considering my TDI has 230k miles, are some metal shavings expected/acceptable, or is this a cause for alarm?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Stuff like that can easily be from when a service was done and something was dropped.
Definitely not enough to raise alarm. This is what there is a screen and we have filters.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I second what Mongler said, I don't quite identify the metal, but that doesn't mean it wasn't from the engine originally.

Keep in mind that the rod and I think main bolts are stretch bolts, one time use! So if you inspect the bearings be prepared to replace them.

Before pulling the caps, inspect the oil filter for debris. Anything smaller than the mesh of the pickup tube will show in the filter.

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
I figured out where the metal shavings came from. Someone helicoiled the drain plug threads.

Doesn't explain the low pressure though. Is there anything that can cause low pressure light besides clogged pickup, bad sensor, connector, or wire? If it was a bad pump, would it be so intermittent, only coming on once or twice a week, then going away after I shut off the car for a few minutes?

Basically I want to know if I can safely ignore the intermittent low pressure light now that I've seen the intake isn't clogged - until I receive and install the new connector and wire.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would put a mechanical gauge on it first before saying yes.

redding

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (mk4,alh)
I could put in a permanent pressure gauge near the oil pressure sensor. Is there instructions on how to do that for a 2001 Jetta mk4 alh?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just get a tee and plumb it in next to the factory sensor.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If you must go with a gauge I highly suggest AUBER.
they are more than just a gauge. And it's one of the highest quality gauges you can buy that is also very affordable.