Oil Pressure Sending Unit: Working Strangely

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I installed an amsoil by pass oil filter on my 2006 jetta. I used the following 42 designs to adapt to the pressure port on the filter housing and then U-loop back with the 12 inch hose and 4 way block with the sending unit, so I could attach to the to the same electrical connector. The sending unit is now pointing down whereas in it's original position it was horizontal.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Oil-Pressure-Relocation-Kit_p_314.html

It seems to now indicate a low pressure oil light symbol at about 1500 rpm.
I installed a dial type (temporary) oil pressure gauge in one of the 4 way block ports to check oil pressure and it is not sensitive to oil pressure but it seems to go off at 1500 rpm all the time.

The pressure can be (without the bypass) 35 psi at idle and 55 psi at 1500 rpm and it will still go off at 1500 rpm ( aprox.)

I thought it might be an air bubble but it is mounted up side down with the port up threaded into the 4-way.

The pressure sensor should not be affected by orientation and yet what else could be causing this.

The only issue I have with the newly mounted Amsoil bypass is the orifice size as provided in the filter adapter mount is to large and drops the oil pressure from 55 to 45 psi and there is not enough pump volume to make up for the loss even at 2700 rpm. With everything good and hot the oil pressure at idle is 20 psi with bypass and without it is 35 psi. But that is not the cause of my problem with the oil sender.

Any experiences or thoughts on the sending unit. Based on time if I drop the rpms from 1500 after it goes off down to idle and wait for a number seconds the oil light and beeping will go out. If i just ignore it and run with it sounding off for a while it will not reset when I drop it to idle and then I need to reset by shutting the car off. It will not come on under 1500 rpm. If I can't resolve this how do I eliminate the low oil light and beeping. I think I have the perfect installation....... except for this.:(

Last edited:

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
It sounds like a wiring problem. If the pressure sensor is unplugged (or if the wire going to the sensor is broken) the oil warning light will come on when you go over 1500 rpm. Did you remember to connect a ground wire to the adaptor that you used to complete the circuit.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
It sounds like a wiring problem. If the pressure sensor is unplugged (or if the wire going to the sensor is broken) the oil warning light will come on when you go over 1500 rpm. Did you remember to connect a ground wire to the adaptor that you used to complete the circuit.
I think you nailed it. No I forgot about that. i will give that a try first thing tomorrow. How did you learn about the 1500 rpm broken wire or not connected.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The sensor is ignored, grounded or not, until 1500. :)

Ungrounded, it looks like an open sensor... so off goes the alarm above 1500, per the design.

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
I learned about it when I tried installing a oil pressure gauge instead of that sensor. I also have a Bentley's Service Manual which explains it on page 17-3 (Oil pressure warning system, checking)

I have the same adaptor that you have but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

The first thing you should check is the ground connection to the adaptor since the sensor need a good ground for it to work.