Oil Pressure Light Goes On around 2,200 rpm

JakeLord

TDI
1996 TDI Passat
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 1996 TDI Passat, car runs and drives great. Whenever I get going in any gear if I don’t shift before 2200 rpm’s my oil pressure light starts blinking and doesn’t stop until the car is turned off and then back on. It doesn’t run funny or sputter at all. I changed the oil and oil filter and it’s filled to the correct lines on the oil marker. I cant find anyone else with this problem. I figured it was just a sensor but I can’t find the correct part to replace it let alone what sensor Id be looking for. Thanks!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
vincewaldon to the rescue:
Found here:
Happy New Year!

JakeLord

TDI
1996 TDI Passat
vincewaldon to the rescue:
Found here:
Happy New Year!
Thanks! I just ordered the low pressure and high pressure oil switches so I'm going to replace those and see what happens, hoping this doesn't lead me to replacing my oil pump lol, the only thing is even when I go back down into low rpm's mine doesn't shut off until I turn the car off and back on again. I appreciate the response though, happy new year to you too!

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
It could also be the wire connectors for the oil pressure sensors are backwards.

TXTRegTDi

TDI
2009 Touareg TDi
It could also be the wire connectors for the oil pressure sensors are backwards.
Hi! I ended up fixing it by changing the oil switches! Thanks anyway friend
Hey JakeLord, what year Touareg TDi do you have? I just replaced the green 2 pin oil pressure sensor/switch on my ‘09 TDi TReg and I’m stil getting the oil pressure warning. I already bought the gray single pin sensor/switch, but haven’t been able to find any info to show where it is. Any help would be much appreciated? Cheers! Aaron

JakeLord

TDI
1996 TDI Passat
Hi Aaron! I actually own a Passat not a Touareg, BUT if you have another oil pressure sensor, (usually there's two, my car had a high pressure and low pressure one). I'd advise that it you have two replace the other one as well! Let me know if you have two or not and I can try and find something else that works! Thx

JakeLord

TDI
1996 TDI Passat
Hey JakeLord, what year Touareg TDi do you have? I just replaced the green 2 pin oil pressure sensor/switch on my ‘09 TDi TReg and I’m stil getting the oil pressure warning. I already bought the gray single pin sensor/switch, but haven’t been able to find any info to show where it is. Any help would be much appreciated? Cheers! Aaron
OH and usually the switches are right next to each other

TXTRegTDi

TDI
2009 Touareg TDi
Hi Aaron! I actually own a Passat not a Touareg, BUT if you have another oil pressure sensor, (usually there's two, my car had a high pressure and low pressure one). I'd advise that it you have two replace the other one as well! Let me know if you have two or not and I can try and find something else that works! Thx
Thanks for replying so quick JakeLord. Not sure how I missed that you have a Passat. Think I’ve been staring at screens too long looking for answers.

I found an online repair manual that confirmed there are two. A high and low pressure. I replaced the easy one up front by serpentine belt, but it didn’t resolve the issue. The second one is crammed behind a bunch of stuff that requires dumping the coolant and removing a pump, etc. etc., so think I’ll hand it over to the dealership.

From what I’ve read these switches/sensors are covered by the extended emissions warranty from the diesel gate scandal. Sadly the dealership closest to me already lost my trust. I’ve never dealt with this other one, so hopefully that is all that is wrong with it, and/or they figure it out and fix it quick and with little hassle.

Thanks again for the reply.

JakeLord

TDI
1996 TDI Passat
Thanks for replying so quick JakeLord. Not sure how I missed that you have a Passat. Think I’ve been staring at screens too long looking for answers.

I found an online repair manual that confirmed there are two. A high and low pressure. I replaced the easy one up front by serpentine belt, but it didn’t resolve the issue. The second one is crammed behind a bunch of stuff that requires dumping the coolant and removing a pump, etc. etc., so think I’ll hand it over to the dealership.

From what I’ve read these switches/sensors are covered by the extended emissions warranty from the diesel gate scandal. Sadly the dealership closest to me already lost my trust. I’ve never dealt with this other one, so hopefully that is all that is wrong with it, and/or they figure it out and fix it quick and with little hassle.

Thanks again for the reply.
I'm glad you found the second switch! Sorry that it's in a not so convenient position though. Good news is that the parts are cheap and labor should be too crazy! Good luck friend