oil pressure light flashing

jclitsch

Hello all - I have a 96' passatwagon TDI and yesterday the oil pressure light began flashing at startup. The first time it went out before I got out of the driveway and the second it stayed on for about 3 minutes. While it was flashing there was noticeably less power and it ran rougher than normal. The mechanic I bought it from said the fuel is probably having problems getting through the fuel pump because of the cold(it was pretty cold here yesterday) and to put kerosene in the fuel. Is this typical? And why would this cause the oil pressure light to go on. It is warmer here today and the light is still flashing (oil level is normal). Thanks for any help you can pass my way.
john

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
The mechanic I bought it from said the fuel is probably having problems getting through the fuel pump because of the cold(it was pretty cold here yesterday) and to put kerosene in the fuel. Is this typical?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This problem can be mitigated with the use of diesel fuel additives such as Power Service with Antigel, available at any Walmart.

As for the oil light, I can only guess... Another forum member reported the same phenomenon today when his car wouldn't start because of gelled fuel.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If I remember correctly, a flashing oil light means low/no oil pressure. What kind of oil are you using?

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
I had the same thing happen after I was cranking and cranking my engine while I was getting a jumpstart this morning.

jclitsch

You are right, a flashing oil light means low oil pressure. Not necessarily low oil level. In fact the oil level is normal. I use shell rotella T 15w-40. New information since the last ost is that the light eventually did stop blinking but it took longer than it did yesterday(6-8 minutes as apposed to 3) but the temperature was much warmer than it was yesterday. There is also a new clatter sound at idle even when the light had stopped blinking.
The car starts right up so I have a hard time believing that fueling gelling is the problem. Is there an oil pump in this thing that could be on its way out? It does have 110k on it.
Thanks again,
john

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
You more than likely have a faulty oil pressure switch. Before thinking the worst, check this first. It is generally what goes bad.

[ January 23, 2003, 19:03: Message edited by: cardinarky ]

Griz161

TDI
I would bet on your sensor being fine, you would think if it was bad it would flash all the time. The only time mine flashed (max 3 times not 3 min)using 5w 50 in in the dead of cold.(-25C or-13F) I am currently using 0w 40 synthetic with no flashing. Ever try pouring 15w 40 in -23C. I'm not sure how cold "your" cold is, but I'm guessing your engine isn't liking the 15w 40 especially if it isn't synthetic.

Griz161

TDI
Just wondering, but when told your mechanic your oil light was flashing what would lead him to think diesel gelling? Two totally different problems. Personally if my oil light kept flashing I'd be shutting off the key. But maybe I'm leading you down the worst case road, hopefully your sensor is bad and maybe your engine actually had oil pumping for those 6-8min (I almost cry when i see it flash 3 times LOL) Good luck. 99TDI 180,000km

[ January 26, 2003, 15:38: Message edited by: Griz161 ]

Griz161

TDI
Check it out, look it up , there are several brands available. I'm using Castrol 0w 30. Great stuff. But I would rather have 0w 40 devlac. It's available and popualar in the cold climates.

jclitsch

Well, the final diagnosis is the oil pump. I had it towed to my mechanic and sure enough the pump was spinning along happily but not pumping any oil. $450 later and she is running normal again. Amazing how that works.
JL

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Same thing happened on my 94 Golf gasser.
It was covered under that 100k warranty. I don't know if that would be applicable here, esp if you weren't the original owner.

jclitsch

It has 110K miles and I think we are the 3rd owners. I have another question for those that are still following this thread. My car seems to be running fine but I happened to check my oil level this morning and it looks like there is close to an extra quart in there. I'm sure what happened is that my mechanic didn't remove the filter so the oil in there didn't get drained and then he refilled with the standard 4.4 quarts of oil. The manual seems pretty adamant about not running with even a little extra oil. Have I damaged anything by running it with this extra oil? I'm planning to drain some off tommorrow.
Thanks,
jcl

Griz161

TDI
I'm on the "mechanic band wagon" again. What type of mechanic changes the oil and leaves the filter? Is this guy working on his driveway with ramps claiming to be licensed.

Even if this guy is your brother/best friend or even your father, I'd be trying out a different hoist. Good to see your oil is pumping again, those cylinder walls and valves like that.

[ February 09, 2003, 09:12: Message edited by: Griz161 ]