Oil Pressure gauge wiring issue.

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
So I put in a New South oil pressure gauge, and volt gauge in an 03 Golf ALH MKIV TDI. The volt gauge works perfectly even with the lights on. However the oil pressure gauge is presenting an issue. The gauge illuminates properly but the gauge pegs all the way when the engine is running. I contacted New South who provided a replacement sender. The replacement sender is connected to the oil filter housing using a 42 design oil pressure sender relocation kit. The relocation kit is grounded to the block. Even with a new sender the gauge still pegs all the way. So I am assuming that there is a wire crossed. Per the instructions the red from the gauge connects to the red from the sender and continues to the 76X post under the dash. The white from the gauge connects to the white from the sender. The black from the gauge connects to the black from the sender and continues to a ground post under the dash. The yellow wire from the gauge is connected to the grey/blue wire at the light dimmer switch. So where am I going astray here?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
is it staying pegged all the time ?
what pressure range is the sender and gauge ?

if I recall correctly , the sender gets switched 12V , it is grounded thru the block and sends a fluctuating voltage to the gauge

Last edited:

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
The ground for the oil pressure sender is attached to the ground peg on the block where the trans bell housing attaches to the block above the starter. The sender positive is tied into the gauge positive lead and wired to a switchable positive (the 76X post under the dash).

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
What happens if you disconnect the signal to the gauge ?
Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram ? Did yo use Teclon tape in the threads of the sender unit ?

Last edited:

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
What happens if you disconnect the signal to the gauge ?
Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram ? Did yo use Teclon tape in the threads of the sender unit ?
When I disconnect the sender the gauge goes to zero. I did not use teflon tape on the sender threads. Will send photo.

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
Can you post a pic of the gauges mounted? I've been looking in to getting an oil pressure, volt, and boost gauge
Mounted gauges in the center console. above radio, which is not OEM 3 in 1 but a Kenwood. The space left as a result of the smaller radio is perfect for gauges. Photo to come shortly.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Have you contacted the gauge vendor ? Good chance they have experienced the issue before and may be able to help you quickly along the diagnostic path.

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
Gauges are usually simple.

Reads 0 = open circuit
Reads 100 = shorted to ground

Bad sending unit even though it's new, gauge could be bad but there's one more thing, is the sending unit touching the engine or anything that is metal on it? If so and you don't have a nylon washer or the like isolating the signal from the unit then it is grounded and shorting your signal to ground rather reading resistance on the post. Have you tried ohming the sending unit?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
He probably has the dual sender and he is using the terminal that replaces the stock oil switch

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
Gauges are usually simple.
Reads 0 = open circuit
Reads 100 = shorted to ground
Bad sending unit even though it's new, gauge could be bad but there's one more thing, is the sending unit touching the engine or anything that is metal on it? If so and you don't have a nylon washer or the like isolating the signal from the unit then it is grounded and shorting your signal to ground rather reading resistance on the post. Have you tried ohming the sending unit?
I am using the design 42 oil pressure relocation kit so that I can use both the OEM sender and the sender for the gauge. There is a ground lead to the three way oil pressure relocation junction which goes to the block. Additionally, the leads from the sender wire and the gauge per the instructions go to a ground post under the dash.

So should I isolate the sender unit and the three way 42 design junction from the ground?

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
I have the same level 42 adapter on my old car, and an autometer gauge.

It should be simple

Ground for adapter
Signal wire back to gauge
Power for gauge
Power for light
Ground for light or wired to a resistor to dim
Ground for gauge

If everything works and the needle is only moving when hooked up or unplugged then the signal wire is somehow being shorted to ground to read max

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
He probably has the dual sender and he is using the terminal that replaces the stock oil switch
No I do not have a dual sender. The OEM sender and the sender for the gauge are wired separately. Both senders are connected to the oil filter housing using the 42 Design oil sender relocation kit which is specifically designed to accommodate the OEM sender and a gauge sender. Additionally the relocation kit is grounded being that there is a line that does not conduct the negative to the senders.