Oil pan to get to crankshaft seal

powerram250

TDI
2004 PD Jetta/ 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I need to replace the plastic plate behind the crankshaft pulley. Long story but the timing belt wore a groove through it from a tree pushing on it. It looks like I need to remove the oil pan foam, then the oil pan, then the aluminum oil pan extension. I need to pull crank timing pulley then the seal plate should come out after removing a few bolts? If I could figure out how to upload pics I'd put them on.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never had one apart, but yes that looks to be the deal. VAG would call that a sealing flange. And I think the plastic ones come with the seal in them, and you'll need the special guide sleeve to install it. T10053/1 is the number.

powerram250

TDI
Never had one apart, but yes that looks to be the deal. VAG would call that a sealing flange. And I think the plastic ones come with the seal in them, and you'll need the special guide sleeve to install it. T10053/1 is the number.
Thank you very much!

powerram250

TDI
I'm having trouble finding the install sleeve for the seal. T10053/1. My snap on guy is searching and VW won't sell or loan me one. I've seen a few online for around $50 but that includes the bolt and seal press adapter which I don't think I really need since the seal is already in the cover. If anyone has one to sell or know where I could purchase one would be greatly appreciated.

oilhammer

TDI
I would just buy the whole deal, that way you have it for future use, or you can just sell it to someone.

It is strange that Snap-On cannot get into the VAG SST stuff, because that is actually who it is supplied through in the USA.

But you have to go through a dealer, which mine has never been stingy about (although we buy thousands of dollars worth of parts from them evry month, too).

And I could order you one, but by the time I get it and ship it to you, you may as well just buy the whole kit.

powerram250

TDI
Okay, lots of good information. I will give my local snapon guy another day then will probably end up purchasing one online if he can't find/get one. It looks like the same seal install sleeve/driver is used for more than one type of engine code. So it would probably be better if I did have the whole kit for future usage. Thanks so much!

oilhammer

TDI
It is used on VAG engines of all sorts dating back decades. So, yeah, useful tool. I've actually worn out that plastic sleeve many times... that is why they make that one part available by itself aside from the tool.

powerram250

TDI
I do like when a company decides to stick with the same seal/part for many years so specialty tools don't have to be kept in a dusty drawer.